• Views 7,180,950
  • Replies 29,367
  • Likes 48

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am still trying to get USB Loader Gx to work consistently. I had it working for a few days then suddenly its not working again. Hoping you guys can give me some help. It's back to the problem of not running games. It shows all my Wii and Gamecube games, but when trying to run one, it just black screens. Btw Gamecube games run fine in standalone Nintendont.

What revision of the loader are you using? What type of HDD and how is it partitioned/formatted? Did you verify the games and make sure they're good dumps?

Drezel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What revision of the loader are you using? What type of HDD and how is it partitioned/formatted? Did you verify the games and make sure they're good dumps?

USB Loader Gx 3.0 r1262, I installed d2x v8-final cios and WiiFlow now works properly, but USB Loader Gx still is not loading games. I am using a USB Drive Fat32 only one partition. All the games are good iso/wbfs and verified.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Known games freezing the loader:
Which revision of the loader are you using ?
There were some revision which had instability and memory issue due to network initialization bug.

be sure to use r1262 or 1263, or one of the newer modded version from greywolf. But 1262 would be best as it's the latest "official" release, it would be best to know if it works on this one or not.

I have Xenoblade and can confirm it never lagged or locked or froze. (unless using a buggy revision of the loader)

socialbacon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
be sure to use r1262 or 1263, or one of the newer modded version from greywolf. But 1262 would be best as it's the latest "official" release, it would be best to know if it works on this one or not.

I was using 1263, but am now attempting with the various mods. Still a no-go so far. I'm starting to try some of the older versions.

[EDIT]: To me it feels like it's freezing while loading the banner animation, so I enabled "Quick Boot". The games load fine now.
I turned "Quick Boot" back off, turned off the Banner Cache, and now the banners and the games are loading fine.

Last edited by socialbacon,

Drezel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which revision of the loader are you using ?
There were some revision which had instability and memory issue due to network initialization bug.

I have Xenoblade and can confirm it never lagged or locked or froze. (unless using a buggy revision of the loader)

I have USB Loader Gx 3.0 r1262, I installed d2x v8-final cios and WiiFlow now works properly, but USB Loader Gx still is not loading games. I am using a USB Drive Fat32 only one partition. All the games are good iso/wbfs and verified.

Can you help me get USB Loader working? I'd rather not have to continue using WiiFlow

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's strange both Socialbacon and you have a similar problem. it worked and stopped working.
no idea why "it stopped" all of sudden, there's something which changed, it can't just stop without reason in a software, it's all based on logical functions.

what I can suggest is checking everything once again.
- using the correct USB Port (port0, near the edge on Wii, far from the edge on WiiU)
- using the correct cIOS (d2x v8 or r52)
- reset (or delete) all the settings and game cache file manually from the loader's folder
- delete banner cache folder to let the loader recreate them
- or just delete the full folder and copy a clean empty one to start from scratch again
- set IOS58 inside the settings for the loader's IOS
that's for the console's side.

For the HDD side, it should be fine as it works with wiiflow, and I doubt you formatted or changed anything since it worked, but let's check few things:
- game path is good (wbfs/<game name + ID>/ID.wbfs for wii and /games/<gamename>/game.iso for gamecube)
- Game files are not write protected (it can create black screen at launch)
- FAT32 32k/cluster
- MBR (at best) or GPT (can be problematic) partition table type
- no hidden partition before the FAT32
- emuNAND in a short path (usb1:/nands/nand1/)

no idea what else could be tested

edit:
Drezel, I see you use an outdated syscheck, but it's not a problem. just noting you are not using one with all latest information.
Also, You are using a flash drive, which could be the issue here. Maybe your flash drive has issues initializing with cIOS. but wiiflow works, so it's strange.

Last edited by Cyan,

drlynes

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been using GX for many years, works great. I have a lot of games,all running off of a USB HDD so I ran into problems having to erase Wii memory blocks every time a new game was started. So, I read up the emuNAND approach and set it all up with "full" NAND emulation for both saves and channels, dumped it all, checked the emuNAND path, it all looks good.

But, I still get the message that the Wii needs to erase blocks every once in awhile.

How can I confirm that my Wii is saving everything to the HDD instead of to the Wii itself?

Thanks a lot.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
emuNAND save works only for Wii disc based games.
I'm not sure about channels on NAND (I'll have to look in the sources to be sure)

To check if it's correctly written on SD, you can disable the option and see if it's loading an old version of your savegame.
Or, delete the savegame from your console's memory management menu, and see if it recreates it.

edit:
"EmuNAND Save" affects only Wii disc based game.
if you play channels located on NAND, it will not redirect the save, as using "emuNAND partial" redirects the access to /title/ folder, which contains savegames but also channel's data. It would try to read channel's data from emuNAND, If you don't have a full dump, it wouldn't find the channel's data.
so, you could tell me "why not use emuNAND save to full for NAND channels?", but I guess I didn't thought about that situation, and it's unnecessary. If you have a full dump, just launch the channels from emuNAND instead of NAND.

Last edited by Cyan,

Overwrite_Pixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love this software, I really do, but I ran into a bug that irritates me. When you play a game once, I experience no problems, but after I exit and try to load any of the games, I get a black screen, forcing me to delete all the games on the USB and reinstall them in order to get them working again. I was wondering if there's a way to prevent that from happening, if possible.
Just a side note, I do have some other things on the usb as well, and its 16gig.
Cheers!

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love this software, I really do, but I ran into a bug that irritates me. When you play a game once, I experience no problems, but after I exit and try to load any of the games, I get a black screen, forcing me to delete all the games on the USB and reinstall them in order to get them working again. I was wondering if there's a way to prevent that from happening, if possible.
Just a side note, I do have some other things on the usb as well, and its 16gig.
Cheers!

Is it a flash drive? They really don't work very well on the Wii.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Actually, WBFS partition is also writable, but only to dump Wii disc.
Flash drive can't be used to dump disc on FAT32 partition, I don't remember if it has the same problem with WBFS partition.

note about loader's progress:

I'm not in holidays anymore :(
I intended to release a new revision (1264) last week, and there we are ... still nothing :ha:
thanks to Greywolf work, he provided me a patch to update the loader to latest devkitpro, and new libraries.

I could compile everything with devkitPPC r29, but I still haven't took the time to test the new libFAT.
I wouldn't want to cause issues to users's FAT32 partition.
so, I need to test it. Unless some users are willing to test (use an SD and/or USB with data you don't care, or an empty one. you need to test folder listing, access, file read/write etc.)
but I still hope to do it myself, that's kind of my job to be sure everything is fine for a new release. I just miss time and will to do the work I have to. (my wii is not even plugged anymore since I moved last year. I could test on my WiiU, but having USBGecko Debugger log is always better)

For 1264 :
* Added 2 new Nintendont settings (CC Rumble and IPL choices). (Greywolf)
* Updated all the sources to compile with devkitPPC r28 and r29. (Greywolf)
* Updated Libcustomfat to 1.1.1 + Ustealth.
* Added support for Open source HBC TitleID.

* Updated devkitpro to DevkitPPC r29-1, libogc 1.8.16
* Updated Libvorbis in devkitpro libogc. (Greywolf)
* Updated libfat in devkitpro libogc to 1.1.1 + Ustealth patch
* Fix EmuNAND patch check (Thanks Badablek)
* Prevent Wii games from being deselected if USB is not detected
* Maybe remove WUP support (WiiU Pro controller), as libogc officially supports it now ! I'll probably add L3/R3 support to libogc (my first official libogc patch?)
* Rework HDD init, probably use IOS58 by default

Last edited by Cyan,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan You don't have to do everything yourself if you don't want to. I'm here to help and I'm guessing fledge68 and Badablek might be willing, too.

I have work on the WUPC native support and using IOS 58 as the default, too.

There's actually a way to support the custom changes to the filesystem libraries without having to make custom versions, too. They can be patched via GCC's wrap feature.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks.

I don't know enough about gcc, hook and wrap features. I like to understand what is done, so for the moment I like it that way (using libcustomfat, but maybe it's easy to wrap?)
I would prefer fixing the latest small things before rewriting a lot of the loader's way of working (I thought making a different GUI menus, and make it 4.0; but first complete little fixes to release 3.1)
I often thought about giving you commit right to sourceforge to maintain it too, but I fear losing control of it :P (you did a lot on your own github, and like you say it's not USBGX, it's something else hehe)

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, not really.
there are only two patches : a generic one which patches ssl only, and one which patch ssl and replace url with wiimm's server.
There's no end-user method to use another url. you'll have to recompile the project.
I didn't thought there were more custom servers (I knew only about 2 projects when it was released). I could think about adding an external url (like for custom banner animation, located in the config file)

Last edited by Cyan,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to be clear my fork was not official because I didn't want people bugging you to fix my issues. :)

Function wrapping is fairly simple. If the library you're linking to has the function "malloc" you can replace it without altering the original library by using the compilation option "-wrap,malloc". In the code that uses the library you define a function called "__wrap_malloc" that replaces the library's code. If you need to call the original code you use "__real_malloc" in the wrapped function. FIX94's WUPC library does this with libogc to recognize the WiiU Pro Controller. This is already implement in GX. The mem2.cpp module uses it.

With Alt-WFC I can see the desire to use a custom server URL. That shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Last edited by GreyWolf,
Reactions: Cyan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: It's such a drag :sad: