• Start date
  • Views 7,190,770
  • Replies 29,369
  • Likes 48

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan funny I was gonna suggest removing compatibility with DM(L) and especially Devo, anyway good luck with whichever option you decide to go with, I think the third option is the better one too.

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Currently testing the new .dol for neek2o preview3.

- make a clean new install of the loader, and try to download Wiitdb. tell me if there's still an issue and you need to edit the path again.
Not sure what you exactly want users to test here, I just downloaded some 3D and 2D covers to default images folder (sd/apps/usbloader_gx/images) and had no issues, so far so good.

- try neek2o and report all you want.
Tried Mario Tennis (Virtual Console) and Lost Winds (WiiWare), both PAL version and both games having issues with cIOS. Played for about 40 minutes, 20 minutes each, 10 minutes with "static" mode and other 10 with "buffer" mode for each game. No issues found.

One new option that annoyed me: Settings/Features/NEEK: Set EmuNAND path
Is this new option really needed? I mean, we already have the option to set emuNAND on custom paths.

On the contrary, I found Settings/Features/NEEK: Launch System Menu very useful, it is like nswitch but inside USB Loader GX. With this, we can quickly load Neek System Menu to play some problematic Wii games.

- Please, use the "buffer" mode. if nobody has issues with that neek method, I'll delete the static method.
See above, found no issues with static, nor with buffer.

- How do you find the "return to" option? it's now "on/off" instead of "TitleID/Off" so it's more "neutral" and can be used by neek2o too. (If ON then it will return to NK2O of you use neek, or Global setting's channel if not using neek)
I like it :). Found no issues with it, always got me back to Real System Menu (I'm using "neek2o_NK2O_1.wad").

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the tests :)
at least someone is reporting that it works !

I also didn't ask, but I'm sure it's broken.
Someone tried to set the NAND on USB root? I'm almost certain it's broken.
I'll fix this and probably release 1247 next.

Ahh, another thing I didn't had report:
Are all your games working when using "return to" ON ?
I tried TokiTori and the game doesn't even boot with that option... But maybe I made a bad dump of my NAND.
I don't know if return to works with all games, but it's not something I can fix from the loader as it's neek which is patching the games. I'm just curious to know if it's supposed to work with all games or if there are known issues.

Not sure what you exactly want users to test here
Thanks, that's just want I wanted. confirmation that it works ;) (latest revision has an issue on fresh install)

Tried Mario Tennis (Virtual Console) and Lost Winds (WiiWare), both PAL version and both games having issues with cIOS. Played for about 40 minutes, 20 minutes each, 10 minutes with "static" mode and other 10 with "buffer" mode for each game. No issues found.
Thanks for proper testing (and reporting) with both launching method.

One new option that annoyed me: Settings/Features/NEEK: Set EmuNAND path
Is this new option really needed? I mean, we already have the option to set emuNAND on custom paths.

On the contrary, I found Settings/Features/NEEK: Launch System Menu very useful, it is like nswitch but inside USB Loader GX. With this, we can quickly load Neek System Menu to play some problematic Wii games.
Yes, this feature is hard to understand for the user.
I will probably change the way neek is working.

Current behavior:
--------------------

You probably didn't notice any changes or need for that option because you are using only one path for your emuNAND channel.
sneek/uneek work with root nand only, but neek2o allow multiple NAND and quick switch between them directly from neek hidden menu.

you can have multiple paths: one emuNAND for PAL, one emuNAND for NTSC-U, one emuNAND for Korean, etc.
When you launch neek from NSwitch, it launches the "last booted nand" as priority and you need to switch manually to the correct NAND to launch the correct regions games etc.

USBLoaderGX can tell Neek2o which NAND you want to boot as "default nand" to boot directly to the correct one.
But if you want to retain the old "default NAND" to be launched from Nswitch, neek2o has an option to "boot to a NAND path temporarily, without setting the current path as default NAND for next launch".

Example:
NAND1 -
NAND2 -
NAND3 - default for nswitch

USBLoaderGX can tell "boot to NAND1 but don't set it as default"

Currently, all boot to neek is "temporary" in USBLoaderGX.
Launching a game or launching neek system menu is not setting the used path as "default" (which I called "permanent" in the changelog)
So I added an option to set the Current EmuNAND Channel path in the User settings as permanent.

Features:
- Set current NAND path as permanent.
- Launch neek to "default/permanent" NAND. (not the current path!)

When you autoboot a channel on a temporary NAND and exit the game, it returns to the permanent (default) NAND's system menu, or permanent (default) NAND's NK2O channel.
You could have one NAND with NK2O channel only, and other nands full of channels but without that nk2o channel. if you exit the game it will return to nk2o located on the permanent path in all cases.

What is the advantage:

- You are not seeing the NK2O channel on USBLoaderGX if you don't list that NAND path.
- neek permanent path system menu launching is faster to be launched because there's no channel to load and could be used for:
- boot into neek very quickly to launch a Disc based game by launching a NAND without ANY channels installed except NK2O.
- exit game to neek's system menu quickly if you don't use the "return to NK2O" option.

Launching neek is very very slow if you have a loooot of installed channels.
Having an empty "permanent" NAND could be useful to boot Wii games or exit channels without "return to".

Inconvenient:
hard to understand?
users will probably not use it anyway
I will have to explain it a lot of times to all users...

What I will do
----------------

I will probably remove the temporary flag.
All launches will set the current nand path as permanent/default.

advantage:
it will be more user friendly and more straightforward to understand.
launch a game -> it becomes the default path to be loaded next time.

inconvenient
- can't benefit from the "quick launch" for wii disc based games though. It's maybe not a too big issue....
- it's always bad that advanced users can't benefit from possible options and features.

what would be great is an option to unlock advanced settings :P
but that's probably too much work to determine which are basic and which are advanced, and everyone have different "level" of advanced knowledge.

Fewww, lately all my posts are huge!
I hope users are reading them as they are full of information on loader's functionality and behavior.

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Mmm, nope, my emuNAND is on usb/nands/nand1, I'll try that later.

I tried TokiTori and the game doesn't even boot with that option... But maybe I made a bad dump of my NAND.
I don't know if return to works with all games, but it's not something I can fix from the loader as it's neek which is patching the games. I'm just curious to know if it's supposed to work with all games or if there are known issues.
Mario Tennis and Lost Winds work with "Return to" set to ON. I can try some more games.

Yes, this feature is hard to understand for the user.
I will probably change the way neek is working.
Fewww, lately all my posts are huge!
I hope users are reading them as they are full of information on loader's functionality and behavior.
Thanks for the details about how that option is working, your posts may be huge but they are always useful. You are right, I'm using only one PAL emuNAND (therefore, only one path) right now. If it is useful to quickly load channels, then I think it is a good idea keeping it.
I configured custom paths for my emuNAND (two options there, NAND emu path and NAND channels path) to usb1/nands/nand1, USB Loader GX lists all my channels, then used this new option so my emuNAND became the permanent one. I have around 5 channels (games) installed on emuNAND, plus NK2O channel, Homebrew Channel, and the default ones News, Shop, Weather... Those two games I tested booted almost instantly, I guess we need to install many more channels to find a slow booting.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan I read your comments fully, and as for the Settings/Features/NEEK I don't think you should change the way it's named currently as I think it's very easy to understand, and I can't say I'm liking the method of "All launches will set the current nand path as permanent/default" very much but it's up to you.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you auto-boot channel, it's doing it instantly.
it's slow if you launch system menu which is loading/caching all animated banners etc.

for the path set a default every time, I don't know yet.
I like the way it's working currently and thought it could be useful (that's why I did it like that), it's maybe just not easy to understand without proper guide/help/wiki.

I'll update the Features>neek's option names a little, but I'm limited with the available menu's space so I can't give them a too long description.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
*Patiently waiting for a WiiU version (non beta that is)B-)*
Hopefully the guys in charge will release a stable rev sometime in the future and you'll be able to implement it in your loader.
Are there even plans of doing that? (releasing a new neek2o) Does anybody know?

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
As you said, if emuNAND is located on USB root, channels are not booting.

Tested two more games: Castlevania Rebirth and Final Fantasy IV After Years. No problem with "static", no problem with "buffer", always got back to real system menu with "Return to" in games individual options set to ON (it's ON by default, anyways).

By the way, does anybody have a icon.png for nswitch .dol file?

stoof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wanted to give som feedback.

Tried to boot alot of different channels with neek2o without a single problem. Everything works as expected.
Tried to boot wii games and got proper warning and boots in to EmuNAND's System Menu as expected.

Had some trouble with som channels that got black screen when trying to exit them. Tested running them from EmuNAND System Menu with the same results so nothing wrong in USB Loader GX.

Tried both Static and Buffer option with same results from both.

The way I'm using it everything works as expected and seems easy enough to understand.

Thank you and let me know if you want me to do any other specific tests.

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Had some trouble with som channels that got black screen when trying to exit them. Tested running them from EmuNAND System Menu with the same results so nothing wrong in USB Loader GX.
Which ones?

Nothing to do with USB Loader GX, just as a side note with Mario Tennis: boot neek system menu, clic on Mario Tennis channel and the console resets to neek system menu. However, it works fine if I choose Mario Tennis from neek's hidden menu. Is this something expected?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
just as a side note with Mario Tennis: boot neek system menu, clic on Mario Tennis channel and the console resets to neek system menu. However, it works fine if I choose Mario Tennis from neek's hidden menu. Is this something expected?
That's strange behavior. I expected all channels to work directly from system menu.
Maybe some games have issues using the "normal" booting method, and mounting/booting channels from the hidden menu is maybe using a different app booter.
You should report this to neek2o thread (or IRC, if you see OverJoy)

What means..... "Sneek Channels Game Cache file not found. Game autoboot disabled"? :unsure:
Neek has a list of available channels stored in a text file to speed the boot time and the channel listed in the hidden menu.
If that file doesn't exists, neek need to create it.
To create it, you need to launch neek without autoboot. when loading the emulated system menu the file is created (or is it only when accessing the hidden menu? I don't know).

If it's the first time you launch neek, USBLoaderGX doesn't find that file and should tell you that autoboot is disabled to let neek create it.
After the first launch, that file "should" be created and found by USBLoaderGX.

If you have the file, but still have that message every time, please let me know. we will see why and how to fix this.

USB:/nands/your nand path/sneekcache/channelcache.bin

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
That's strange behavior. I expected all channels to work directly from system menu.
Maybe some games have issues using the "normal" booting method, and mounting/booting channels from the hidden menu is maybe using a different app booter.
Here https://gbatemp.net/threads/neek2o.313314/ ?
The thread seems a little bit forgotten.

Oh, if that helps, the channels I tested are all scene releases, maybe Mario Tennis have a modified ticket or wasn't properly dumped or whatever...
Can anybody test this game and see if the same happens to you?

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't got the chance to do any testing past the first preview but Mario Tennis was one of the games I tested and aside from giving me a black screen by exiting "I don't have the Neek channel installed yet" the game ran perfectly fine for me strait from USB Loader GX with Neek option set to individual "since the first beta had an issue with the global" I'm not sure if this helps in anyway and I'm afraid I don't have time to do any testing any time soon but I figured I'd mention it.

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't got the chance to do any testing past the first preview but Mario Tennis was one of the games I tested and aside from giving me a black screen by exiting "I don't have the Neek channel installed yet" the game ran perfectly fine for me strait from USB Loader GX with Neek option set to individual "since the first beta had an issue with the global" I'm not sure if this helps in anyway and I'm afraid I don't have time to do any testing any time soon but I figured I'd mention it.
As you said, the game runs fine through USB Loader GX, I was talking about booting it directly from emulated system menu.

stoof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got a message when starting USBLGX yesterday that "This modded version is old, use an officiel rev." or something similar. Was this expected? And if so, when can we expect an official rev? Fully understand if that can't be answered yet but I was getting used with neek2o support :) .

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, it's expected.
The beta is .. a beta, where I need users to test and report. (even if it's very rare that they do. Thanks to anyone who did :P)
Most users think it's the good release and they should use it as their stable version for every day use.
So I limited it so I'm sure nobody keep an old/instable beta release and try to find a newer beta (if available) or the stable release.

As for the release, I need to fix path on root for neek2o emuNAND, and I'll make a release.
I can work on it on weekends only, so I'm sorry if it's a little slow.
I think a release this month is to be expected :)
sorry if you can't run games anymore until then. I'll try to not be too long to release it.

stoof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Which ones?

Nothing to do with USB Loader GX, just as a side note with Mario Tennis: boot neek system menu, clic on Mario Tennis channel and the console resets to neek system menu. However, it works fine if I choose Mario Tennis from neek's hidden menu. Is this something expected?

Majora's Mask and some Sonic Megadrive games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yes, it's expected.
The beta is .. a beta, where I need users to test and report. (even if it's very rare that they do. Thanks to anyone who did :P)
Most users think it's the good release and they should use it as their stable version for every day use.
So I limited it so I'm sure nobody keep an old/instable beta release and try to find a newer beta (if available) or the stable release.

As for the release, I need to fix path on root for neek2o emuNAND, and I'll make a release.
I can work on it on weekends only, so I'm sorry if it's a little slow.
I think a release this month is to be expected :)
sorry if you can't run games anymore until then. I'll try to not be too long to release it.

I'm just thankful that you are taking your time to make the loader even better then it already is.

Reactions: Clutz450

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153