Hacking USB Loader GX

• Thread starter cyrex
  • Start date
  • Views 7,230,591
  • Replies 29,377
  • Likes 48
B

Bladeforce

Hate to say this but GX has just stopped working for me as the above poster says, had to move to another loader and also with the problems this had with loading POP it's a sad day. I have all the usual stuff loaded nothing unusual but yet since rev 923 it just freezes my wii

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just look at the development log - the issues started at 922 when adding compatibility for 222v5 just revert back to 921 and everything works fine (using 222v4 not v5)

kjwhitcomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ocdetective said:
kjwhitcomb said:
My humble summary of how to get Prince of Persia: the Forgotten Sands working with USB Loader GX:

Early posts had three things that needed to happen to make the game work:
- Main.dol had to be extracted, edited as described at http://www.wiihacks.com/wii-games/58969-ho...ds-working.html, and put back
- USB Loader GX had to be rolled back to an early version (somewhere in the 700s I think)
- cIOS38 had to be rolled back to rev9

Now, thanks to D34DL1N3R, the process is simpler.

D34DL1N3R said:
r921 Unofficial Mod
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VMPHWEBL

PoP w/ patched main.dol working with cIOSXrev19 base 37. The only thing I believe to be broken is returning to GX after exiting a game - it will just take you to the main Wii menu instead.

The reason I did this is because the r929 mod still has the "game sound" bug when using cIOSXrev19. Hopefully we will get an official release soon with everything fixed.
smile.gif

There is no longer a need for an ancient cIOS38 or GX. However, the hex editing still needs to happen. I had success extracting mail.dol, editing it, then putting it on the SD card and using it as an alternate dol. This is in the hopes that the smart people here will eventually find a fix that won't need the hex editing.

Armed with the r921m version and the edited dol, the game seems to work.

QUOTE(bula @ May 24 2010, 08:50 AM) 921m works with 249_v17 as well.

I'm still running rev 14 and it worked for me too. Hope this is all accurate and it helps.
Not 100% accurate - the use of earlier versions of GX (781 and earlier) plus cIOS rev 9 does NOT require a hex edited main.dol - it runs fine as is.

Good point. I guess I was assuming people would be using newer versions of GX and cIOS, but if they can't or don't want to hex edit main.dol, the older versions provide a viable alternative.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO this is what needs to be done with GX. I added the following "enhancement" request to the Google Code page:

With the latest revs breaking more than improving on anything, I suggest
stripping it down by removing some unnecessary features to cut down on the
size of the compiled dol & also repairing what needs to be fixed.

1. Remove the Homebrew Browser
2. Remove the Title Launcher
3. Remove the Theme Downloader
4. Reset the entire "Issues" list after doing 1-3 and only fix what needs
fixing or improving upon, rather than adding any new features.

GX used to be the top loader but has fallen to the waste-side with bloated
features and bugged/broken releases. I believe it can be on an equal level
with the other available loaders by making these changes. In my opinion GX
has THE best layout/look without the unnecessary 20 million ways to customize
the coverflow.

Last but not least. Can the GX team give us supporters some updates as to
what's going on with the project? It just seems as the team doesn't care as
much as they used to.
frown.gif

sotemptemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't care? they just released an update a few days ago... I can't take you seriously because you want to remove the homebrew browser? why? it's great.

bseos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sotemptemp said:
don't care? they just released an update a few days ago... I can't take you seriously because you want to remove the homebrew browser? why? it's great.

QUOTE(D34DL1N3R @ May 28 2010, 07:27 AM) 1. ...With the latest revs breaking more than improving on anything,

2. ...fix what needs fixing or improving upon, rather than adding any new features.

3. ...GX used to be the top loader but has fallen to the waste-side with bloated features and bugged/broken releases.

That pretty much sums it up nicely.

alex-pex

Trophies
XP
Country
France
GX is the only loader i know giving a conveniant way to launch Metroid Trilogy. Nice & Easy.

Hermes v4 + usb loader gx 921mod = no problems yet

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sotemptemp said:

The Homebrew Browser is bugged. I get code dumps when launching several different apps from it & it's just as easy going to the actual perfectly working Homebrew Channel rather than the broken GX version. And the update? LoL. It was a language file update, as were the two updates before it. I guess if you want to call that an "update", then go right ahead. Besides... I DID say "as much as they used to", did I not?

I'm not bashing GX or it's devs whatsoever. Just suggestions for giving the loader what IMO would be a much needed "reboot".
smile.gif

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
alex-pex said:
GX is the only loader i know giving a conveniant way to launch Metroid Trilogy. Nice & Easy.

Uh...

If you are talking about the alt .dol disc method, then you are highly mistaken. This would be the method where you select an alternate .dol from amongst the .dols stored on the disc image on your drive.

Both Cfg and Neo Gamma had that months weeks (my bad on the original miscalculation) before it was added to GX. We also now have the alt .dol disc plus method which actually allows you to set it up so every time you launch MPT, it just asks you which of the three games you want to play rather than having to choose the correct .dol filename.

Wiiflow also has the alt .dol disc loading method, but not disc plus yet.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dr. Clipper said:
alex-pex said:

Uh...

If you are talking about the alt .dol disc method, then you are highly mistaken. This would be the method where you select an alternate .dol from amongst the .dols stored on the disc image on your drive.

Both Cfg and Neo Gamma had that months before it was added to GX. We also now have the alt .dol disc plus method which actually allows you to set it up so every time you launch MPT, it just asks you which of the three games you want to play rather than having to choose the correct .dol filename.

Wiiflow also has the alt .dol disc loading method, but not disc plus yet.

I think GX had alt .dol quickly after NeoGamma. Is " usb loader gx 921mod" the one that runs on giantpune's mod of sneek? If yes, then it would be a convenient way of launching Metroid and also allow using multi player. Oh and it wouldn't require ANY cIOS. If it's not that "one", then i also don't see any reason why it should be superior to Cfg, NeoGamma or WiiFlow.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
OuahOuah said:
Disc plus is managed through .WDM files, no ?
Yes. If it is in GX, I apologise, but I couldn't see it in the update notes, so I assume it wasn't added.

QUOTE(WiiPower @ May 28 2010, 08:05 AM) I think GX had alt .dol quickly after NeoGamma. Is " usb loader gx 921mod" the one that runs on giantpune's mod of sneek? If yes, then it would be a convenient way of launching Metroid and also allow using multi player. Oh and it wouldn't require ANY cIOS. If it's not that "one", then i also don't see any reason why it should be superior to Cfg, NeoGamma or WiiFlow.
GX had alt .dol, but it was SD-only for at least a month (two weeks, sorry) after you released the disc method. If I'm following things correctly, the 921mod version disables the dvd check patch so that PoP can be played (as long as you also patch the .dol).

The other mod version you discuss is mostly mentioned in the Wii Hacking forum.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
giantpune said:
for whoever is bothering to keep score, the alt dol from disc stuff was in GX july 15th.
Oh, sorry, I apologise then. My memory was off on the timing. It was in Cfg on July 2nd, so I guess it's just two weeks rather than two months. It seemed much longer at the time (mostly because of the idiots that kept saying they didn't want to burn discs even though it had been stated multiple times it wasn't needed).

r-win

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dr. Clipper said:
My memory was off on the timing. It was in Cfg on July 2nd, so I guess it's just two weeks rather than two months.
That's what you get when you drink to much beer, Dr. Clipper
biggrin.gif

But I can understand that, especially in the summer (can't wait for it!!)

Nanuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a problem with Little King's Story, I'm using r921 with cIOS249 rev 17, and this game just gives me a black screen... The game works great with Cfg USB Loader, but I'd rather use GX, so is there a remedy for this? Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Ronny.l

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I have a small request. Now the "NEW" tag for games is only shown if the game is not played at all.
In config the settings have the options on or off.
I would like it to be the number of times played in order to show the "NEW" tag for games that have only been tested a few times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the...