Hacking USB Loader GX

• Thread starter cyrex
  • Start date
  • Views 7,215,940
  • Replies 29,375
  • Likes 48
D

Deleted User

It's possible to add PS4 (and generic HID USB controller) while inside the loader's interface. last time I did, it had memory issue and someone lost a HDD partition data, so I removed it.

it's not possible to add new controller type in a game. more technically, it is "possible" if you are a hacker, and are dedicated to make one patch per game (because each game is different). There's no generic patch possible to support adding controllers to all games.
there's one for Smash bros... because 2 hackers tried, and that's all. and it has nothing to do with USBLoader, you need to manually apply a patch to the game ISO before launching it.

Network client is not possible either, because there's no "network" library in the game, there's no OS or supervisor or firmware running in the background of the Wii when you play a game. (the WiiU does, not the Wii).

I have enough with smash. can you show me where that patch is so i can apply it to my iso?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you have enough of smash bros? but you want the patch for smash bros?
well, up to you if you want to patch an iso that you don't want to play.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/need-help-with-vwii-gc-adapter-for-project-m.498236

like I said, it was specifically created for CTGP and ProjectM, and therefore only CTGP or ProjectM have that support. if you want to patch your smash, use CTGP or ProjectM patchers.
there's a 3rd version which is said to work with random arbitrary wii games (untested, no compatibility list exists), and ... here the sources. I don't know what to do with an IOS module file. hermes cIOS had a module loader, but I don't know how it works. don't expect me to do anything with these patch, I don't have the knowledge or time to do anything from it.

something important you might want to know :
All 3 implementations require a physical disc
it does not work with usbloaders

Last edited by Cyan,
D

Deleted User

you have enough of smash bros? but you want the patch for smash bros?
well, up to you if you want to patch an iso that you don't want to play.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/need-help-with-vwii-gc-adapter-for-project-m.498236

like I said, it was specifically created for CTGP and ProjectM, and therefore only CTGP or ProjectM have that support. if you want to patch your smash, use CTGP or ProjectM patchers.
there's a 3rd version which is said to work with random arbitrary wii games (untested, no compatibility list exists), and ... here the sources. I don't know what to do with an IOS module file. hermes cIOS had a module loader, but I don't know how it works. don't expect me to do anything with these patch, I don't have the knowledge or time to do anything from it.

something important you might want to know :
it does not work with usbloaders
Thanks you!

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
USB Loader GX, if my USB HDD is already plugged in, crashes at start.
If i have it unplugged and wait till it shows the 20 second timer for the USB HDD and then plug it in, it works.
Is there somehow a way to make this work without having to do that?

and is there a way to make USB Loader GX start in 4:3 automatically?
It looks much crisper when i toggle "Wii U Widescreen". I wish i could set that as standard.

edit: i uploaded my txtcodes-folder. hope it helps. Contains 2768 cheat files.
link: https://www75.zippyshare.com/v/cDTHvcwz/file.html
@alexander1970

Last edited by Hephaestus,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The aspect ratio on vWii is auto-detected based on your WiiU video setting.
there's no option to not autodetect you are using widescreen.

that's not normal the loader crashes at boot if hdd is plugged, unless the config and homebrew are on usb, or plugged in the wrong port.
be sure it's on port0 (back-top on wiiu), and there's no apps/usbloader_gx/ folder on your usb.
it shouldn't crash, but either freeze, or reach 0 and continue loading without detecting the drive.
if it crashes, maybe you could post a readable code dump screenshot, and specify which revision of the loader you are using? it'll help debugging.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
The aspect ratio on vWii is auto-detected based on your WiiU video setting.
there's no option to not autodetect you are using widescreen.

that's not normal the loader crashes at boot if hdd is plugged, unless the config and homebrew are on usb, or plugged in the wrong port.
be sure it's on port0 (back-top on wiiu), and there's no apps/usbloader_gx/ folder on your usb.
it shouldn't crash, but either freeze, or reach 0 and continue loading without detecting the drive.
if it crashes, maybe you could post a readable code dump screenshot, and specify which revision of the loader you are using? it'll help debugging.

I think i may have expressed myself badly.
Yes, "Freeze" describes it a lot better.
Nothing happens and i cant return to wii menu.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
okay, then it's a known issue with cIOS and newest hardware. new HDDs seem to require a USB command which is missing in cIOS.
you need to set the IOS used by the loader to 58 instead of cIOS 249.

settings > loader's settings > loader's IOS : 58
reboot and try again.

it's not 100% stable either, but it helps for most of the users with this problem.

Last edited by Cyan,

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
okay, then it's a known issue with cIOS and newest hardware. new HDDs seem to require a USB command which is missing in cIOS.

reboot and try again.

it's not 100% stable either, but it helps for most of the users with this problem.
Wow, thanks so much!
Will try that later and report back!

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North

reboot and try again.

I tried it now.
Sadly it didnt work.
Froze again at "Initialize usb device".
My HDD is a 1TB WD Elements

EDIT: Tested with wiiflow. Works without having to unplug it.
Have no idea why.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you launch usbloadergx after wiiflow, it works.
wiiflow can init the drive, but I don't know what's different because it uses IOS58 too, and it share the same drive init code.

you can try this :
put the loader on usb:/apps/usbloader_gx/
set HBC to mount usb (and init it), so when you launch the loader from hbc the drive is already initialized.

last choice, but rarely working, is using usb too, but instead of using HBC you launch it with the forwarder. it also uses IOS58, but users had issue booting from usb with the forwarder, so it's strange again.

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
wiiflow can init the drive, but I don't know what's different because it uses IOS58 too, and it share the same drive init code.

you can try this :
set HBC to mount usb (and init it), so when you launch the loader from hbc the drive is already initialized.

last choice, but rarely working, is using usb too, but instead of using HBC you launch it with the forwarder. it also uses IOS58, but users had issue booting from usb with the forwarder, so it's strange again.
I was using the forwarder from the vWii menu so far.
Gonna move my usbloader folder from SD to USB and try it out.
Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it!

EDIT: That worked and it was beyond clever.
My HDD takes to long to initialize (i imagine), so having the forwarder start USB Loader GX from the USB HDD means its running and ready by the time usb loader gx begins initializing.
I cant believe i didnt think of this myself.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you can try this :

Have you checked the drive to make sure there's no hidden or unallocated space on it (usually marked with an asterisk *)?

I've had issues with drives initializing when they have these unallocated spaces before the actual formatted partition. Use EaseUS to view the drive partitions and merge anything that doesn't belong as needed into the main partition.

Worth a try at least...

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
@ca032769 No unallocated space, but thanks for the suggestion!
Its already working flawlessly tho.
Making the forwarder start USB Loader GX from the USB HDD fixed my issue.
It initializes instantly now.

Reactions: ca032769

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
glad you found a fix.
the forwarder is not always working to init the drive, I guess it's try and see ;)

I tried to force IOS58 at boot, even when using cIOS as default IOS but it wasn't conclusive. maybe one day I'll find what wiiflow does differently than usbloadergx.

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
glad you found a fix.
the forwarder is not always working to init the drive, I guess it's try and see ;)

I tried to force IOS58 at boot, even when using cIOS as default IOS but it wasn't conclusive. maybe one day I'll find what wiiflow does differently than usbloadergx.
Well, it worked for me!
Couldnt be happier.
I love how effortlessly i can start usb loader gx now.
Thanks again!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
pre-made or converting what?
wiiflow is provided in "boot.dol" like other homebrew, there's nothing to convert or compile.

and I answered to the user above.
there is probably an option to change in wiiflow interface to select SD instead of USB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhN3stcB0is