• Views 7,218,389
  • Replies 29,375
  • Likes 48

John_Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
John_Ice - you are a genius! Two games appear to be corrupted but the other 12 are working just fine! I ended up only updating slot 249. Are there any disadvantages to not updating 250 as well? Also, so Priiloader is some kind of fail-safe in case my Wii gets bricked from what I can gather? Does that happen often? I was under the impression that once HBC was on the Wii I was in the clear from a bricking risk standpoint but is that not accurate? Sorry for the questions, just trying to understand.

Good morning. It depend on what cIOS you put on your slot 249. If it's IOS249[56] d2x v8, it's ok but for some games, you will need IOS250[57]d2x v8 like "Just Dance" games and etc... So I suggest you to install it and almost every games will work (99%).

Homebrew have nothing to do with bricking risk standpoint. Priiloader is a hack to get some protection about brick and hacks. e.g. If you get a banner brick, you load priiloader and you can access homebrew program like a wad manager to desinstall the wad which brick your wii.

If you don't mess with your wii and take your time to understand what you install on your wii something like a menu or a wad for an unsafe place, you will be clear from a bricking risk.

Reactions: pewpz13

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
FYI: Emunand saves speed

Was just playing The Conduit with Emunand save set to partial and Emuand on a class 10 SD via the Wii's SD slot.
Whenever I reach a checkpoint, the game will slutter for a full second but if I switched back to real nand save, the transition is almost instant.

I know the Wii SD slot is the bottleneck but I never expect the difference is so much.
That probably partly explains why some games are out-right incompatible and some may has random clashes -depending on how the games were programmed to write and check the saves.

I bet using Emunand save on a HDD may have better compatibility but I still can't persuade myself to let the Wii writes to my HDD - a second handed Wii is cheaper than a portable HDD and the HDD is full of years of collection efforts.

Cases refreshes:
1. The Last Story:
I used a class 4 SD for Emunand save and during the early part of the games, there is no problem at all. Deeper into the game, reloading a save will give me a corrupted save error but moving the same save to real nand or a class 10 SD card, there is no problem.

2. MP1 and MP2 (from Metroid Prime Trilogy)
The games will randomly freeze if I reset the games (yes I do that "frequently" to retry a level fresh) - but this is just me reporting that, I guess we need more reports (if anyone still cares) to confirm if it is worth updating the compatibility list. (using real nand have no problem and maybe using USB HDD have no problem too).

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can I use my wii NAND copy in vWii? (for install wads, emulated nand)
As far as I know, no because sneek for vwii is slightly different. Although it exists a sneek vwii version, it never worked for me. One of the reasons that I don't use the vwii mode.

New
FYI: Emunand saves speed

Was just playing The Conduit with Emunand save set to partial and Emuand on a class 10 SD via the Wii's SD slot.
Whenever I reach a checkpoint, the game will slutter for a full second but if I switched back to real nand save, the transition is almost instant.

I know the Wii SD slot is the bottleneck but I never expect the difference is so much.
That probably partly explains why some games are out-right incompatible and some may has random clashes -depending on how the games were programmed to write and check the saves.
Not exactly, the speed difference in general is very small. Problem is the way of how storage media work.
Mechanical HDDs are way faster than SD Cards if you are trying to access a big contiguous file like a disc image of a game, for example. But if you need to write or read many smaller files scattered across the drive, it will take longer because the HDD have to search these files through a mechanical "needle".

SD Cards, like many flash media, their advantage relies on reading and seeking different files at once, because it doesn't have mechanical parts for this job, but if a file is too big, the controller have to "think" more how to allocate properly the big chunk of data.

Compatibility is more or less the same, problem is that resetting through HOME Menu sometimes "break" the forwarding ability of the IOS that makes emuNAND work. I played these games and didn't had any problem whatsoever

Last edited by Codemastershock,
Reactions: GreyWolf

mikebw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

This seems like a really dumb question, but how do I get USB Loader GX to show me the games on the drive!?!?

This all used to work for me, but it's been a few years since I used my Wii and now I am having trouble getting my Wii games to load. Initially I plugged in the drive I had been using and tried launching USB Loader GX from the homebrew channel, and I got this:
(1.0 r807)

ERROR!
USB Loader GX needs unstubbed cIOS 222 v4 or 249 v9+

I found
222 = 0
249 = 0

Go figure out how to get some cios action going on in your wii and come back and see me.​

So I must have run some update on the Wii that broke USB loader GX. I went online and found a new version (3.0 r1262) which will load, and it seems to know that there is a WBFS partition (I know...) but it is not showing any of the games. It will only display my Wii channels. It even tells me I have 68GB of 130GB free on the drive, and when I try to add a new game (Big Brain Academy) it tells me the file is already there, which is true.

Again, how can I get it to show my Wii games? Not really interested in moving to FAT32 since I have eveything I want on the WBFS partition already. Thanks for any help!

EDIT: May be useful to know that the drive is a 160GB, with a 16GB FAT32 partition and the remainder is WBFS.

Last edited by mikebw,

John_Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

This seems like a really dumb question, but how do I get USB Loader GX to show me the games on the drive!?!?

This all used to work for me, but it's been a few years since I used my Wii and now I am having trouble getting my Wii games to load. Initially I plugged in the drive I had been using and tried launching USB Loader GX from the homebrew channel, and I got this:
(1.0 r807)

ERROR!
USB Loader GX needs unstubbed cIOS 222 v4 or 249 v9+

I found
222 = 0
249 = 0

Go figure out how to get some cios action going on in your wii and come back and see me.​

So I must have run some update on the Wii that broke USB loader GX. I went online and found a new version (3.0 r1262) which will load, and it seems to know that there is a WBFS partition (I know...) but it is not showing any of the games. It will only display my Wii channels. It even tells me I have 68GB of 130GB free on the drive, and when I try to add a new game (Big Brain Academy) it tells me the file is already there, which is true.

Again, how can I get it to show my Wii games? Not really interested in moving to FAT32 since I have eveything I want on the WBFS partition already. Thanks for any help!

EDIT: May be useful to know that the drive is a 160GB, with a 16GB FAT32 partition and the remainder is WBFS.

I suggest you to go on FAT32, it's the method today for USB Loader GX, don't use WBFS Partition... USB Loader don't support it anymore...

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I have a speed class 4 SD card and haven't had any problems with redirected saves except for MPT and Zelda: SS.

Well when I got the class 10 SD and test Last story, it works fine. When I switch back to the class 4, same issue, I even format the SD for the test. May be I have too many files on the SD that make FAT32 access slow? I have over 9000 files in over 1000 folders (covers, nands, everything)

I am playing The Conduit now and the autosave at checkpoints really slutter for more than a second.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I suggest you to go on FAT32, it's the method today for USB Loader GX, don't use WBFS Partition... USB Loader don't support it anymore...

No, it is still supported but not recommended. WBFSmanager is known to corrupt games.
I would say yes, to deprecate support for WBFS partition if that saves a lot of memory, else why bother?

@mikebw
post a syscheck log. I suspect your cios got removed. Also check the buttons on the button bar - you might have turned off Wii game listing

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well when I got the class 10 SD and test Last story, it works fine. When I switch back to the class 4, same issue, I even format the SD for the test. May be I have too many files on the SD that make FAT32 access slow? I have over 9000 files in over 1000 folders (covers, nands, everything)

I am playing The Conduit now and the autosave at checkpoints really slutter for more than a second.

Hmm... an automated save-swapper could be handy. I haven't checked my SD file count.

John_Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it is still supported but not recommended. WBFSmanager is known to corrupt games.
I would say yes, to deprecate support for WBFS partition if that saves a lot of memory, else why bother?

I know it can work but what I want to say is it's not supporting anymore and it's not recommended, you see the difference and for sure Cyan will recommend to switch to FAT32 !

Last edited by John_Ice,

alonzondavis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way, say after finishing playing a gamecube game via nintendont on usb loadergx, I press the home buttion on the wii u pro conttoller and it goes back to usb loader gx?

mikebw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@John_Ice -

I actually did run a few cios updates along with the new version of USBLGX, but I wasn't sure anymore which ones, and the fact that it seemed to be recognizing that my drive had a WBFS partition was encouraging enough that I didn't need to mention it.

I looked for that option you mentioned and yeah I just had to recheck the option to show Wii games! Thanks for that obvious tip! Now I am just stuck trying to figure out how to get the drive to be mounted more reliably as it seems I need to have it turned off while USB loader GX opens and then I need to turn on the drive although this doesn't seem to work very consistently. I just can't remember if it was this way a few years ago when I had it working last. Seem to recall having to fuss with it somewhat. Also cover art for all the games is not showing, but I suspect that's another issue.

Last edited by mikebw,

Vionic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi.

Just Dance work very well with 250. But the problem is you using 250 [57] V10beta53-alt which have some problem imcompatibility.

Use 249 [56] DX-2v8 and 250[57] DX-2v8. Everything will work ok after that instead you have a good reason to use v10beta52 and v10beta53-alt. And don't force anything in USBLoader.

And for your game, do you use your Region Disc ?

Tryed putting 2v8 249 56 and 250 57 on it now.. same problem.. just dance won't start..
the disc is the right region...

FIXED! Comparing with other wii some IOS was wrong and some settings in usbloader was off..

Last edited by Vionic,
Reactions: John_Ice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...