Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
gene0915 said:
I was dumping SMG tonight and it froze at 57%. I turned the Wii off and cleaned the disc and it dumped perfectly on the 2nd attempt but I'm wondering..... on a Windows system, if you force a reboot when the system is hung or do an instant reboot or something, this sometimes triggers chkdsk to run. Since I had to force my Wii to reboot while the dumping process was locked up.... how does the USB_Loader app deal with that? Can this feature be added to v1.3? (Some sort of "Check partition for errors")?? To clean up slack space and what not.
that's one of the things the filesystem has to deal with. i am sure there are some sort of optimizations for situations like this. i am pretty sure they thought about that during the phase of planing and structuring the new filesystem.

wiibob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarkLG said:
ya the loader works on 4.0 if you have the cioscorp files installed.
smile.gif
Funny, i dont have cioscorp files installed and im on 4.0 and mine works flawlessly, i used this guide

http://www.yafaze.com/wii/menu4.0hack.html

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
T-Error said:
TeenTin said:
3 questions :

1. Is the current from the USB port large enough for an external portable notebook HD (with no power supply) ?
2. Is the Wiifit's date problem gone for this 1.1 loader ?
3. Metrio Prime 3 is still not working ? No matter how ?

Many many Thanks !

3. Had no problem with Metroid Prime 3 on 1.0 . dumped from original.

cool i'm fixin to dump that right now, atleast now i know it works, I'm using the Original also

T-Error, My Metroid works prefectly, but it does require a Original Wii Game does not have to be Metroid to be in the DVD DRIVE to work, after that it works great, does yours do the same thing. just wondering

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I really really hope that GeckoOS can be incorporated into the Loader in future version, so that I can use Ocarina !

Please !

PopSmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I uninstalled IOS249 with AnyTitleDeleter and installed IOS36 Rev 09. I am running USB Loader v1.1 on a 3.2U Wii and it still won't work.

I guess I will just have to wait until I can get a hold of another flash drive to verify that the Wii doesn't just hate mine.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Shady078

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
WiiBlaster said:
T-Error said:
TeenTin said:
3 questions :

1. Is the current from the USB port large enough for an external portable notebook HD (with no power supply) ?

Many many Thanks !

3. Had no problem with Metroid Prime 3 on 1.0 . dumped from original.

cool i'm fixin to dump that right now, atleast now i know it works, I'm using the Original also

T-Error, My Metroid works prefectly, but it does require a Original Wii Game does not have to be Metroid to be in the DVD DRIVE to work, after that it works great, does yours do the same thing. just wondering

Doesn't need to be a wii game.. it just needs to be a physical disc.

I put in a xbox 360 game (star ocean 4) and metroid prime 3 played fine... would probably work with a totally blank dvd as well... I'll test it and edit this post.

I was able to load save games and start a new game with no problem.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm the Homeless said:
EDIT: Anyone else notice that in the source for this in the data folder, there's a file called "background" (no file extension) which is a PNG image.
tongue.gif

It's everything except the text in the box.
Meaning we can make our own loader images? Where is the source for this? I couldn't find it anywhere I looked. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
tongue.gif

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
TeenTin said:
3 questions :

Many many Thanks !

I'm running a 5400 RPM laptop drive in an enclosure with no external power supply, seems to be working for me.

jpref

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
little bug: if you load v 1.1 with a hard drive that has just been low level formatted, and has no partitions, if you go back and select install game, it will attempt to then run something in the empty partition, giving a code dump, just a heads up
smile.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
jpref said:
little bug: if you load v 1.1 with a hard drive that has just been low level formatted, and has no partitions, if you go back and select install game, it will attempt to then run something in the empty partition, giving a code dump, just a heads up
smile.gif

i got a lot of code dumps installing games in 1.1 i want back to 1.0 and they installed fine. seems to be bugs in 1.1 so install games using 1.0 for now.

ringorinfret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the chances of the loader being able to use NTFS partition? I have a 1 TB drive which contains some backed up stuff, I dont want to format it to the specific file system.

Will there ever be straight .ISO compatibility from a NTFS partition?

thanks

bobpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
gene0915 said:
I was dumping SMG tonight and it froze at 57%. I turned the Wii off and cleaned the disc and it dumped perfectly on the 2nd attempt but I'm wondering..... on a Windows system, if you force a reboot when the system is hung or do an instant reboot or something, this sometimes triggers chkdsk to run. Since I had to force my Wii to reboot while the dumping process was locked up.... how does the USB_Loader app deal with that? Can this feature be added to v1.3? (Some sort of "Check partition for errors")?? To clean up slack space and what not.

He wrote his own filesystem. My guess is (from what I've read on Waninkoko's blog and on HackMii) that this is an *extremely* simple filesystem. Basically something like [SizeOfDump1][DataPartitionFromWiiDisk1][ChkSum1][SizeOfDump2][DataPartitionFrom
iiDisk2][ChkSum2]... (Now, unless he's braindead, it needs to be a little more complicated (IE, it needs to be able to at least allow fragmentation of the [DataPartition] blocks, but this is the basics)

If you've ever used WiiScrubber, you'll note that Wii game ISOs always have 3 partitions; an info partition 0, an update partition, and a game data partition. When you use BackupLoader or GeckoOS, they tell the Wii to launch the data partition directly. Partition 0 is where the random data is stored that Scrubber 0s out to make the image compressible.

Essentially, all Waninkoko's USB Loader needs to do is point the GeckoOS code to the start of the DataPartition dump (he doesn't handle multiple files, just dumps that partition that contains multiple files) and let the GeckoOS code take over.

So what does this mean in relation to your question? There's no filesystem corruption. Ever. Well, it's possible, but only for an extremely short window. All writes can be planned out ahead of time, and if the checksum is invalid (ie, the dump failed or the disk corrupted) he knows that whole dump is bad and tosses it all out. Since you only EVER write files when you add a new game disk, that's all you can corrupt. Playing games is read only, so feel free to yank power whenever you feel like it. The most you can do is damage the current dump, and that'll be damaged by nature of being incomplete anyway.

Rivaplz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Arm the Homeless:

You say on the "left" port? Have you formatted or partioned the drive? Mine is straight out of the box...

bobpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
ringorinfret said:
What are the chances of the loader being able to use NTFS partition? I have a 1 TB drive which contains some backed up stuff, I dont want to format it to the specific file system.

Will there ever be straight .ISO compatibility from a NTFS partition?

I doubt it. Not many people want to touch the land of backups and if Waninkoko laid out his own file system, he probably doesn't have the time/want to deal with porting NTFS libs from the linux kernel or elsewhere. What I would expect to be far more likely is a desktop program that allows dumping from an ISO on your computer directly to Waninkoko's WBS partition on a USB disk.

You probably wouldn't want straight ISOs anyway. That would be really wasteful. With WBS, animal crossing only takes up about 300MB, for example. With ISO, everything always takes up 4.7GB. IF NTFS was done, they'd probably still only copy the data partition from the disk/ISO. Perhaps there'd be *.WBI files for each game rather than a WBS formatted partition. The ultimate solution would be to have Zip'd or Rar'd scrubbed ISOs, but I suspect this would be impossible due to memory and other constraints.

bobpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Rivaplz said:
@Arm the Homeless:

You say on the "left" port? Have you formatted or partioned the drive? Mine is straight out of the box...

I'm using a USB laptop drive that is supposed to use 2 USB ports for power and transfer. It works fine plugged into only 1 port. I've tried it on both the left and the right, with a WiiSpeak plugged into the other port. I suspect this left vs right stuff is nonsense and was really a quirk due to something else.

Jotokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'm glad it fixed the free space bug, I am a little disapointed... it broke madworld!(at least, for me).

At least everything else works and just all around feels less problematic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-