PS1/2 USB Hard Drive on PS2

stab244

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm about to finally softmod my PS2 since it was getting underused, and I was wondering if I mod it with Free McBoot, could I play ISOs from a hard drive connected to the PS2 through the USB port? Thanks to those who help!!

stab244

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. One of the oldest Phats ever. Then can I burn more than 1 game onto a DVD-R or will it just not run? And can I use DVD+Rs? So many questions, but I'm just so excited that I can finally mod my PS2 after my friend lends me his AR.

EDIT: Just remembered to ask, but what other things does installing Free McBoot do? And when I put in the DVDR into the PS2, would I have to do anything special to boot the backup or would I have to do something else first in the system menu?

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you want to run backups you must first patch the iso for "ESR" (im not really sure what that entales, but it should be explained in the readme for free mcboot). its good that you have an old fat ps2, those are better for setting up. i reccommend that you get a hd and the original network adapter to hook up the drive that way. your compatibility will be better and you wont have to fuss with patching the iso's. there is a list somewhere about what drives fit in the ps2.

stab244

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay now the disk isn't working. When I load it a pink screen shown up... This is really weird...

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, im not too familiar with the esr process. check out this thread at http://forums.sksapps.com/free-mcboot/7212...ublic-beta.html
hopefully that will be more help to you than to me.
grog.gif

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
lol thought i might have to take that route, i was looking into the memor32, whizz u know if it boots backups straight off the bat?

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a slim PS2 softmodded with FreeMCBoot. Not that hard of a process.

Go here: http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/

and follow the tutorial. You can use either an Action Replay, Swap Magic, or anything that will allow you to load an .elf file.

The site comes with a prepackaged FMCBoot package for dummies (which is what i used).

Very easy, then just patch your iso with EITHER the momento patcher or the ESR patcher. either of them will work. The patch makes the ISO become a DVD movie, which the PS2 reads natively. SO then, ESR allows your PS2 to read the DVD file (your ISO) and the game will boot.

Use imgburn with 2.4x or 4.0x burn for best results. I use DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM. All done with imgburn.

Hope this helps!

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
suppachipmunk said:
I have a slim PS2 softmodded with FreeMCBoot. Not that hard of a process.

Go here: http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/

and follow the tutorial. You can use either an Action Replay, Swap Magic, or anything that will allow you to load an .elf file.

The site comes with a prepackaged FMCBoot package for dummies (which is what i used).

Very easy, then just patch your iso with EITHER the momento patcher or the ESR patcher. either of them will work. The patch makes the ISO become a DVD movie, which the PS2 reads natively. SO then, ESR allows your PS2 to read the DVD file (your ISO) and the game will boot.

Use imgburn with 2.4x or 4.0x burn for best results. I use DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM. All done with imgburn.

Hope this helps!
outstandin

suppachipmunk, thanks very much, ill give that a go when i get some free time,

just 1 thing, can you post link to software for momento patcher, i cant seem to find that anywhere, then i can check to see which one of the two is easiest to do

thanks

D

Deleted User

DAZA said:
just 1 thing, can you post link to software for momento patcher, i cant seem to find that anywhere, then i can check to see which one of the two is easiest to do

thanks
Google "ESR Patcher". It does the same thing as the Memento one.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
yeah i knew where to get the ESR patcher, couldnt find the Momento one, just wanted to find out which one was better and easier to work with, ok well here goes nothing, thanks for the advice

stab244

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow... I was gone for one day and this thread explodes... Anyways I got the disc working now. Apparently Sony DVD+R works better than the Staples/CompUSA DVD-R I was using. I'm going to try out a Maxwell DVD+R to see if its just the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
hey, i tried several times to do this on ps2 slim, i use action replay max, first time it found the files on my usb key, tried to load and the screen went black, nothing else, so i though ok ill retry, next time it doesnt read the usb key data, tried several times since, no luck, any ideas as to why? i even tried using cd method

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
What's the serial on the Slim? Sony has removed the Update options in the new SCPH9000x's with the BIOS 230 version. Those DVD update options allowed FreeMcBoot to work, so without it you're stymied. Sony is probably aware of FMCB if they've suddenly decided to remove those update options from their new Slims.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
i will need to look at it when i get back, all i can tell you for the minute is that it was from a brand new batch when they first released the ps2 slim

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
scph-70003, cant find out about bios version its not in the version information, just browser, cd player, playstation driver and dvd player,

i follow the basic instructions of copying FREE_MCBOOT.ELF and the install folder with its components in there, load action replay max then media player, select the file, black screen... nothing else. tried 3 other mem sticks nothing, even cd method, no luck, any ideas?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm assuming that you've tried the Swap Magic/ULE and FCEUltra alternatives too?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, why you hurting your sisters