Hacking Hardware Homebrew [PS2] What determines game-system region lock on the PS2?

throwaway8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hi all, I live in Japan and am looking to buy a PS2 to play some PS1 games (and also a few PS2 games so I rather buy a PS2 over a PS1). Although I own physical copies of these games, they are the Japanese versions and this time around I want to play them in English.

I don’t really want to buy the English versions for these games as I already bought these games once in Japanese, and it’s hard to justify buying the English versions. Therefore I plan to install Free McBoot on my PS2 and go through the proper procedures to allow the PS2 to play backups of these English versions burned onto a disc. I don’t really like emulation (or at least PC emulation) so I rather do this if possible.

The problem is that the PS2 I plan to buy will be an NTSC-J PS2 (more prudent to buy such a model for me living in Japan and whatnot). If I do go about this burning process, I will be burning an ISO from an NTSC-U game onto a blank disc that I’ll buy here in Japan.

From my understanding I cannot use MechaPwn to remove region lock on a NTSC-J PS2 (please correct me if I’m wrong). Thus, I am still subject to the PS2’s region locking.

Therefore, will:

A: The game will run just fine as the physical disc on which the game is burned onto will be from Japan, and thus compatible with an NTSC-J PS2

Or,

B: The game will not run as the ISO on the burned disc comes from an NTSC-U game, causing the PS2 to region-lock me out of playing it.

I also acknowledge that other scenarios I’m not currently aware of are also possible. If I am missing something please do let me know :) .

Any advice is appreciated!

Edit: Grammar
Post automatically merged:

Just an update, looked deeper into MechaPwn’s compatibility and it seems that NTSC-J models above SCPH-7000x work fine. I assume then that if I buy a NTSC-J SCPH-75000 model and get MechaPwn running on it I should be able to achieve what I’m aiming to accomplish without any problems?

Last edited by throwaway8,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto