boondoklife

OP
Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have an old USB ethernet adapter, a 10mbps model, that I use with my Wii. I am wondering since USB2.0 is possible with HDDs, is it possible to use a faster ethernet adapter and get better speeds with applications like WiiMC and Network transfers.

Can anyone test this or care to comment about its possibility?

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
boondoklife said:
I have an old USB ethernet adapter, a 10mbps model, that I use with my Wii. I am wondering since USB2.0 is possible with HDDs, is it possible to use a faster ethernet adapter and get better speeds with applications like WiiMC and Network transfers.

Can anyone test this or care to comment about its possibility?
I would hazard a guess at no.
Nobody will be streamlining any code for LAN as hardly anybody uses it. Plus, ethernet has been 10/100 for DONKEYS YEARS, only recently gone gigabit, so the wii will most likely already be 10/100 for wired. Thats good for anything you'll need really. If your using wifi currently and its too slow, you could get a wii lan adapter, that should make it quicker since its wired. I'd imagine that a usb ethernet adapter will not work since no drivers will be available on the wii to handle it.

boondoklife

OP
Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the adapter works fine. I found another one in my tool box and it is a 10/100 adapter, but the odd thing is I don't get any better speed through it than wifi!?!

That just does not make sense to me. It is plugged into a 10/100 switch, which in turn is hooked into a gigabit router. I would think if anything the wii could get better speed with that adapter but it seems to top out at 4mbps regardless to what connection type I make, this includes LAN transfers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1