USB Ethernet and 2.0

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by boondoklife, Jan 4, 2011.

Jan 4, 2011

USB Ethernet and 2.0 by boondoklife at 4:00 PM (1,017 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. boondoklife
    OP

Member boondoklife GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have an old USB ethernet adapter, a 10mbps model, that I use with my Wii. I am wondering since USB2.0 is possible with HDDs, is it possible to use a faster ethernet adapter and get better speeds with applications like WiiMC and Network transfers.

Can anyone test this or care to comment about its possibility?

2. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I would hazard a guess at no.
    Nobody will be streamlining any code for LAN as hardly anybody uses it. Plus, ethernet has been 10/100 for DONKEYS YEARS, only recently gone gigabit, so the wii will most likely already be 10/100 for wired. Thats good for anything you'll need really. If your using wifi currently and its too slow, you could get a wii lan adapter, that should make it quicker since its wired. I'd imagine that a usb ethernet adapter will not work since no drivers will be available on the wii to handle it.

3. boondoklife
    OP

United States
    Actually, the adapter works fine. I found another one in my tool box and it is a 10/100 adapter, but the odd thing is I don't get any better speed through it than wifi!?!

That just does not make sense to me. It is plugged into a 10/100 switch, which in turn is hooked into a gigabit router. I would think if anything the wii could get better speed with that adapter but it seems to top out at 4mbps regardless to what connection type I make, this includes LAN transfers.

4. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

it all depends on the standard router
    Example IEEE 802.11g - max 54mb \ s

5. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

The wii always uses USB1.1 mode for the ethernet adapter. Suck it up.

6. boondoklife
    OP

United States
    Yea, that is the conclusion I came to as well. O well.