boondoklife

OP
Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have an old USB ethernet adapter, a 10mbps model, that I use with my Wii. I am wondering since USB2.0 is possible with HDDs, is it possible to use a faster ethernet adapter and get better speeds with applications like WiiMC and Network transfers.

Can anyone test this or care to comment about its possibility?

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
boondoklife said:
I have an old USB ethernet adapter, a 10mbps model, that I use with my Wii. I am wondering since USB2.0 is possible with HDDs, is it possible to use a faster ethernet adapter and get better speeds with applications like WiiMC and Network transfers.

Can anyone test this or care to comment about its possibility?
I would hazard a guess at no.
Nobody will be streamlining any code for LAN as hardly anybody uses it. Plus, ethernet has been 10/100 for DONKEYS YEARS, only recently gone gigabit, so the wii will most likely already be 10/100 for wired. Thats good for anything you'll need really. If your using wifi currently and its too slow, you could get a wii lan adapter, that should make it quicker since its wired. I'd imagine that a usb ethernet adapter will not work since no drivers will be available on the wii to handle it.

boondoklife

OP
Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the adapter works fine. I found another one in my tool box and it is a 10/100 adapter, but the odd thing is I don't get any better speed through it than wifi!?!

That just does not make sense to me. It is plugged into a 10/100 switch, which in turn is hooked into a gigabit router. I would think if anything the wii could get better speed with that adapter but it seems to top out at 4mbps regardless to what connection type I make, this includes LAN transfers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn