• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US presidential election

Who are/did/would you vote for?

• Total voters

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't like Ron Paul's foreign policy. I think at this time it is most important to destroy Iran's nuclear facility, as they are a danger to the US, and Israel.

That's a great idea Jakob, starting WW3 would be just glorious now rather then later. I haven't seen any proof of a nuclear facility in Iran yet but I know for a fact that the US and Israel have gigantic ones. Sounds to me like they are trying to pull the same crap that got us to invade Iraq and we are gonna fall for It again, shame on us.
So why exactly do you think Iran has been looking for allies in South America. Such as Venezualla that is a huge ally of Iran, with this country Iran is able to ship its nuclear weapons(in the future) from Syria to Venezualla and launch an attack from there. Iran's allies will be China and Russia so I understand your point about WW3, but if we don't launch an attack by the summer of this year Iran will move its nuclear facilities underground which will make it impossible to find.

Reactions: 2 people

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unemployment numbers (lower is better):

2r2lt8j.jpg

Economy (higher is better, blue is Obama's effect on the economy):

mt0djb.jpg

As for the potential double-dip in the economy, Foxi4, much of that has to do with Europe, the fact that the stimulus was a one-time thing that the Republican congress won't allow to be repeated, and the fact that we have come to realize that the economic crisis was worse than we thought it was and that the stimulus should have been a lot more.

What's the source of your graphs?? Also, pretty sure the unemployment graph shows not how many people are unemployed ... it shows the rate at which new people are being added to the unemployment rolls, measured in jobs lost per month. But they don't count people who have flat-out given up looking for a job because they have 'taken themselves out' of the job market. The real unemployment situation in the USA is way bad, maybe the worst since the 1930's. (sorry, I don't have any misleading graphs for ya)

Edit: just to be a little more clear about this ... all your graph is showing is the rate at which jobs have been lost over the last several years. What your graph doesn't show is how many jobs are simultaneously being created. Jobs are always being lost at some rate, while people are also being hired at new jobs all the time too -- hopefully with more new jobs being created than jobs being lost. With your graph, all we see is how many jobs have been lost since 2007. We can't see how many people were getting new jobs during the same period. My guess ... not a hell of a lot.

Reactions: 1 person

Libertarian94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry Lacius, but you've got a couple of things wrong.
English ain't my main language, so i could i no way formulate the response as Ron himself could, so i've added a couple of links.
Ron Paul says government should have no place in marriage and that marriage is a religious union between a man in a woman. He consistently courts the religious right and doesn't even answer the question when asked if homosexuality is a sin. In fact, Ron Paul is one of the most evasive politicians I've ever seen, usually answering questions with "the government is too big" and changing topics. Ron Paul published newsletters in the 80s and 90s that were very racist, homophobic, etc. Although just allegations, an ex-staffer said that Ron Paul has issues with gay people. This isn't surprising considering some of the peoples' positions who finance and run his campaigns. Ron Paul was also against anti-sodomy laws being overturned.

Ron Paul is extremely pro-life and supports the idea of personhood. Ron Paul thinks the Civil Rights Act was a horrible mistake and that people should be able to refuse racial minorities service on the basis of skin color.

In summary, Ron Paul is probably the worst candidate when it comes to civil liberties. He would also slash the federal government into something powerless and unrecognizable.

Ron Paul wants government out of the marriage issue, and have said following (In a 2008 ABC Interview):
Reporter: Should gays be allowed to marry?
RP: Sure, They can do whatever they want and call it whatever they want.
However, they can't make me personally accept what they do, but i cant prohibit them from doing it.

And when Paul says the government is to big, its true.
America has 1000 military bases all over the world.
How do they finance these bases?
- Taxes. And when youre in debt, you start printing/lending money from the federal reserve, which makes the dollar devalue.

And on the racist allegations:
He did not wrote them, and do not advocate the behavior the newletters advocate.
And when you look at the numbers, he's the one candidate which most black supporters apart from Obama (for obvious reasons).

The reason for his decision on sodomy laws, is states rights, here's a quote:
''The Court determined that Texas had no right to establish its own standards for private sexual conduct, because gay sodomy is somehow protected under the 14th amendment “right to privacy.” Ridiculous as sodomy laws may be, there clearly is no right to privacy nor sodomy found anywhere in the Constitution. There are, however, states’ rights — rights plainly affirmed in the Ninth and Tenth amendments. Under those amendments, the State of Texas has the right to decide for itself how to regulate social matters like sex, using its own local standards. But rather than applying the real Constitution and declining jurisdiction over a properly state matter, the Court decided to apply the imaginary Constitution and impose its vision on the people of Texas.''

In a speech to Congress in 2004, Paul explained his opposition to the civil rights act. he said following:
“The forced integration dictated by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 increased racial tensions while diminishing individual liberty.
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 gave the federal government unprecedented power over hiring, employee relations, and customer service practices of every business in the country. The result was a massive violation of the rights of private property and contract, which are the bedrocks of free society.”

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I really don't like Ron Paul's foreign policy. I think at this time it is most important to destroy Iran's nuclear facility, as they are a danger to the US, and Israel.

That's a great idea Jakob, starting WW3 would be just glorious now rather then later. I haven't seen any proof of a nuclear facility in Iran yet but I know for a fact that the US and Israel have gigantic ones. Sounds to me like they are trying to pull the same crap that got us to invade Iraq and we are gonna fall for It again, shame on us.
So why exactly do you think Iran has been looking for allies in South America. Such as Venezualla that is a huge ally of Iran, with this country Iran is able to ship its nuclear weapons(in the future) from Syria to Venezualla and launch an attack from there. Iran's allies will be China and Russia so I understand your point about WW3, but if we don't launch an attack by the summer of this year Iran will move its nuclear facilities underground which will make it impossible to find.
What gives you the *right* to even consider attacking another country because of superficial reasons and pure conjuncture without any proof? If they have any facilities then I do hope they move them before you guys roll in, seriously, how can you be so full of yourself, so casual about invading another country because "you don't like it"?

When was the last time the U.S got invaded by a foreign nation? Do remind me, I can't seem to remember. My God, you've just grown to "accept" the fact that you have the right to have nukes and you have the right to invade others and whenever anybody else does it then it is wrong and surely directed againts you, haven't you? You claim this is for the greater good, that this is a "war againts terror" but to those people YOU are the terrorists and they hate you wholeheartedly because time and time again YOU destroy their homeland and kill their people in the thousands while they cannot fight back since your country is simply out of reach for them. YOU are the world's biggest bully who rolls into cities with tanks and flies choppers while the natives have AK-47's, sticks and stones. Your attitude is horrible, I'm trying to refrain from saying "disgusting" but that's how I truly feel. I'm no hippie but you are crossing the line.

Reactions: 3 people

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What gives you the *right* to even consider attacking another country because of superficial reasons and pure conjuncture without any proof? If they have any facilities then I do hope they move them before you guys roll in, seriously, how can you be so full of yourself, so casual about invading another country because "you don't like it"?

When was the last time the U.S got invaded by a forreign nation? Do remind me, I can't seem to remember. My God, you've just grown to "accept" the fact that you have the right to have nukes and you have the right to invade others and whenever anybody else does it then it is wrong and surely directed againts you, haven't you?
Blame Fox News. And anything can happen in the future you never know.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Libertarian94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ron Paul wants government out of the marriage issue, and have said following (In a 2008 ABC Interview):
However, they can't make me personally accept what they do, but i cant prohibit them from doing it.
By Ron Paul's logic, gays should be happy with just pretending to be married in states that don't allow gay marriage in a country that does not recognize it federally. So who cares about the rights and privileges granted to married couples? I find Ron Paul's comments very offensive. Ron Paul also thinks it's okay for states to decide whether or not being gay is illegal. Last I checked, he's also failed to distance himself from endorsements from people who want to make being gay punishable by death.

- Taxes. And when youre in debt, you start printing/lending money from the federal reserve, which makes the dollar devalue.
I agree that the military is disgustingly big. But Ron Paul thinks that's justification for the elimination of the Departments of Education, Commerce, Energy, Interior and Housing and Urban Development. Ron Paul also seems to be okay with cutting programs such as child nutrition programs, food stamps, cuts to the EPA, privatizing the FAA, etc.

''The Court determined that Texas had no right to establish its own standards for private sexual conduct, because gay sodomy is somehow protected under the 14th amendment “right to privacy.” Ridiculous as sodomy laws may be, there clearly is no right to privacy nor sodomy found anywhere in the Constitution. There are, however, states’ rights — rights plainly affirmed in the Ninth and Tenth amendments. Under those amendments, the State of Texas has the right to decide for itself how to regulate social matters like sex, using its own local standards. But rather than applying the real Constitution and declining jurisdiction over a properly state matter, the Court decided to apply the imaginary Constitution and impose its vision on the people of Texas.''
So Ron Paul supported getting rid of the anti-sodomy laws, but he doesn't support using a branch of government to get rid of anti-sodomy laws. That makes so much sense.

freaksloan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want any of them, and I think the USA and the World would be better place if they all ceased to exist.

In my opinion, Obama will go down as being the WORST POTUS in the history of this country, and it has nothing do with the color of his skin.

I also think Romney is a RINO, who believes in man made global warming and socialized medicine.

So it doesn't matter who wins, we are SCREWED!

Reactions: 2 people

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't want any of them, and I think the USA and the World would be better place if they all ceased to exist.

In my opinion, Obama will go down as being the WORST POTUS in the history of this country, and it has nothing do with the color of his skin.

I also think Romney is a RINO, who believes in man made global warming and socialized medicine.

So it doesn't matter who wins, we are SCREWED!

If you think that you are foolish, there are much much worse presidents Ulysses S.Grant comes to mind. Do you know what socialized medicine is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WAIT WAIT WAIT

Since we're dragging Israel into this, didn't they announce they were going to attack Iran's nuke facility WITHOUT alerting us prior?

Edit: Yup, carry on. Source

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I can't vote, but indeed voting for Obama again would be what i would have done anyways. I guess my main point would be, if USA collaps, so does half the world. I don't want that

freaksloan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unemployment numbers (lower is better):

2r2lt8j.jpg

Economy (higher is better, blue is Obama's effect on the economy):

mt0djb.jpg

As for the potential double-dip in the economy, Foxi4, much of that has to do with Europe, the fact that the stimulus was a one-time thing that the Republican congress won't allow to be repeated, and the fact that we have come to realize that the economic crisis was worse than we thought it was and that the stimulus should have been a lot more.

Unemployment is only going down because once you no longer receive unemployment, you are no longer considered unemployed.

Like here in Ohio unemployed went down from 7.9 to 7.7%, but payroll in the same time period went down 25,000. So how can unemployment go down and the number of people receiving a check also go down? Shouldn't if unemployment is going down, payroll numbers should be going up?

I am unemployed, but I am not being counted as such because my unemployment compensation ran out in Feb.

Libertarian94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
By Ron Paul's logic, gays should be happy with just pretending to be married in states that don't allow gay marriage in a country that does not recognize it federally. So who cares about the rights and privileges granted to married couples? I find Ron Paul's comments very offensive. Ron Paul also thinks it's okay for states to decide whether or not being gay is illegal. Last I checked, he's also failed to distance himself from endorsements from people who want to make being gay punishable by death.

I agree that the military is disgustingly big. But Ron Paul thinks that's justification for the elimination of the Departments of Education, Commerce, Energy, Interior and Housing and Urban Development.

So Ron Paul supported getting rid of the anti-sodomy laws, but he doesn't support using a branch of government to get rid of anti-sodomy laws. That makes so much sense.

Once again, Ron Paul believe in states rights, but what you are saying however, i just past the realms of reality.
The reasons he wants to cut all those departments is that they pushes prices up and destroy the market, and close down states buisnesses, and thus not creating jobs.
The reason he doesn't support it a federal mandate, is that it would involve the federal government regulating states, and telling them what to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi