• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US launched missiles at Syrian base after Chemical Weapon attack

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disappointed that Trump made this move against the Syrian govt but GBATemp... better to leave politics out of it.

Syria was a bunch of jackasses and gassed their own people with chemical weapons, what are we supposed to do, let those idiots get away with killing their own? AFAIK, the UN banned using those for warfare, esp against people.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Syria was a bunch of jackasses and gassed their own people with chemical weapons, what are we supposed to do, let those idiots get away with killing their own?
Alt-right people think that this is a false flag perpetrated by the CIA and the opposition rebels. You won't be able to get through to them because they are working with alternative facts. Their view of reality is different than yours or mine.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alt-right people think that this is a false flag perpetrated by the CIA and the opposition rebels. You won't be able to get through to them because they are working with alternative facts. Their view of reality is different than yours or mine.

That doesn't answer my question, why the hell are people defending Syria and its leader? The leader should've gotten off his ass and gone after the people who used gas. But no, he just sat there not doing a bloody thing. And now people are all butthurt that the US struck Syria for their actions. Gimme a freaking break.

Reactions: Shikkichu

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't answer my question, why the hell are people defending Syria and its leader? The leader should've gotten off his ass and gone after the people who used gas. But no, he just sat there not doing a bloody thing. And now people are all butthurt that the US struck Syria for their actions.
It does answer your question. Basically these people don't think Assad actually gassed his own people - and he is fighting the rebels everyday - so you can't exactly say that he's not trying to stop them.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Republicans have been pushing for war ever since, and believe it or not Obama was the one who didn't want to get involved..
Obama sought to gain authority to take intervention in the area. He was very pro intervention in this case...

But now that the Republicans are in power - I think that war is in our near future.
Considering Hillary also has supported these air strikes it would not have been different (in addition to her hawkish FP). Plus many democrats are applauding such action and most who do not only are against it on grounds it is not congressionally approved.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obama sought to gain authority to take intervention in the area. He was very pro intervention in this case...

Considering Hillary also has supported these air strikes it would not have been different (in addition to her hawkish FP). Plus many democrats are applauding such action and most who do not only are against it on grounds it is not congressionally approved.
The difference is that John McCain and the Republicans in the house passed laws to give lethal aid to Ukraine, and Obama vetoed them. So in Ukraine at least - it was Obama's discretion that kept us out of the conflict there.

I know McCain and Trump aren't on good terms, but I'm confident that the Republican establishment will get the war they've wanted since 2014.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The difference is that John McCain and the Republicans in the house passed laws to give lethal aid to Ukraine, and Obama vetoed them. So in Ukraine at least - it was Obama's discretion that kept us out of the conflict there.
True but regardless action in Ukraine was never that probable, although he did take certain actions like the (wrongly imposed) sanctions against Russia. Although if such action was to be held for a congressional vote then many democrats would support it regardless...

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True but regardless action in Ukraine was never that probable, although he did take certain actions like the (wrongly imposed) sanctions against Russia. Although if such action was to be held for a congressional vote then many democrats would support it regardless...
When you say that Obama wrongly imposed sanctions on Russia, are you saying that you think the war in Donbass, and the seizing of Crimea against international law were not reprehensible actions?

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say that Obama wrongly imposed sanctions on Russia, are you saying that you think the war in Donbass, and the seizing of Crimea against international law were not reprehensible actions?
I am against sanctions in general as they normally are ineffective and when effective harm the innocent citizens the most.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am against sanctions in general as they normally are ineffective and when effective harm the innocent citizens the most.
Some sort of action was necessary though, and sanctions (combined with the falling value of crude oil) greatly diminished Russia's GDP. This meant that Russia had less money to buy arms with, and that her citizens were less happy with the government - increasing the possibility of civil unrest and possible regime change. When the citizens have to pay for the government's actions - then the citizens become unhappy with the government, and often the government is forced to change course.

You'll notice Russia has not advanced further into Ukraine for over a year now.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This meant that Russia had less money to buy arms with, and that her citizens were less happy with the government - increasing the possibility of civil unrest and possible regime change.
Which is absolutely horrible and should be avoided.

When the citizens have to pay for the government's actions - then the citizens become unhappy with the government, and often the government is forced to change course.
Or it just increases instability as we have seen.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is absolutely horrible and should be avoided.

Or it just increases instability as we have seen.
The bottom line is that Russia had to be stopped from invading European nations - and our options were sanctions or war. Obama chose sanctions, and I think Trump will choose war.

You have to agree that Russia can't be allowed to invade her neighbors? You have to think about the unrest that that causes as well. Many Ukrainian people have died in the Donbass.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bottom line is that Russia had to be stopped from invading European nations - and our options were sanctions or war. Obama chose sanctions, and I think Trump will choose war.
Ultimately, Trump probably will choose war (although it is likely he probably could push it off towards his successor if he loses in 2020 but who knows) but Obama's actions (and those of Bush and even Bill Clinton) all have played a role in this situation. Did Obama succeed? No but he stalled it which could be seen as a success to some...

You have to agree that Russia can't be allowed to invade her neighbors? You have to think about the unrest that that causes as well. Many Ukrainian people have died in the Donbass.
True regardless any action that Trump will take (and the actions Obama took) just made it a bigger shit storm than it already was much like what has happened in the Middle East.

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol