Hardware Upgrading from 3ds, N2ds xl; how does this console feel at hand compared to 3ds?

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I have played on the original psp, is it kinda like that then, like width wise?
Yeah, I have small hands, so buttons are ok, but I think for people with big hands, may can have some troubles? From what I remember PSP had bigger buttons than Switch, just look at your 3DS. And maybe sometimes you'll feel the weight of the Switch on prolonged time playing on handheld. But, as I have said before, the only real problem are the Joy-Con Stick.

PD: Oh! Almost forgot, screen get scratched when you often use the Switch docked and Handheld, so buy a screen protector when you buy your Switch, a must buy accessory! Thanks God I got one before it get worst...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Of course

I have played on the original psp, is it kinda like that then, like width wise?

I play my 3DS laying down, and so did my wii u gamepad when I had it, so im assuming it should be okay unless its meant to be enjoyed sitting more.
I play my Switch laying down no problem. But the charging cable can get in the way. I tend to stop playing to charge, 3-4 hours of playing at a time is enough for me.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I found the 3DSXL to be hugely uncomfortable, especially as I had a Vita at the time. Switch feels great, much more in line with Vita ergonomically.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I found the 3DSXL to be hugely uncomfortable, especially as I had a Vita at the time. Switch feels great, much more in line with Vita ergonomically.
Really?
To me it's the opposite. The Switch is extremely big for a pure handheld. And a bit too heavy. But manageable. The ergonomics are the worst, for me. The joycon button placement confuses me still.

Fortunately, I'm playing Fallout Shelter (for a few more minutes, because the game gets boring really fast), and only need the touchscreen. That way, the joycons are removed and the console truly shines.

If using the joycons, better use the console stand.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really?
To me it's the opposite. The Switch is extremely big for a pure handheld. And a bit too heavy. But manageable. The ergonomics are the worst, for me. The joycon button placement confuses me still.

Fortunately, I'm playing Fallout Shelter (for a few more minutes, because the game gets boring really fast), and only need the touchscreen. That way, the joycons are removed and the console truly shines.

If using the joycons, better use the console stand.
It gave me real bad hand cramps if I tried playing for extended sessions, totally ruined MH4U for me tbh. I get on alot better with Switch, but then like I said I did play alot of Vita which was a similar shape and weight, before I got my 3DS so that might be the reason.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It gave me real bad hand cramps if I tried playing for extended sessions, totally ruined MH4U for me tbh. I get on alot better with Switch, but then like I said I did play alot of Vita which was a similar shape and weight, before I got my 3DS so that might be the reason.
Fair enough. My closest approximation was o3DS and PSP go as handhelds go. The Switch is huge by comparison.

Reactions: Risingdawn

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fair enough. My closest approximation was o3DS and PSP go as handhelds go. The Switch is huge by comparison.
It is massive lol. I think it was the squareness of the New3DSXL that killed my hands, and the top screen kinda tipped the weight a bit uncomfortably.

That said I never really got on with DS either, always played PSP, had one of the original Gameboy Advances too not the clamshell ones. So it could be mainly down to muscle memory, they're all a similar shape as opposed to the square designs.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In my experience the Switch is too big and heavy for portable use.
Compared to the 3DSXL, it is hard and annoying to take it out and using in e.g. a bus, as it is so big you may end up annoying other people.
As it is heavier and bigger, it makes your hands/arms tire faster.
Also the sad battery life it has pales in comparison to that of the 3DSXL, and this is sad. Usually it won't be enough for a trip from Berlin to Cologne on ICE (aka bullet train).
...fortunately almost every ICE has power sockets.

I use the Switch in portable mode often, very often. I don't use my 3DSXL anymore really.
What I mean is that it can be improved really.

The analogs, the amount of control, etc are much better than on the 3DS. It really feels like a home console even when you play portable, with all the required control working perfectly in there (even when using the tiny joycons instead of the Pro Controllers). TBH the size is annoying, but my biggest complain is the weight.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience the Switch is too big and heavy for portable use.
Compared to the 3DSXL, it is hard and annoying to take it out and using in e.g. a bus, as it is so big you may end up annoying other people.
As it is heavier and bigger, it makes your hands/arms tire faster.
Also the sad battery life it has pales in comparison to that of the 3DSXL, and this is sad. Usually it won't be enough for a trip from Berlin to Cologne on ICE (aka bullet train).
...fortunately almost every ICE has power sockets.

I use the Switch in portable mode often, very often. I don't use my 3DSXL anymore really.
What I mean is that it can be improved really.

The analogs, the amount of control, etc are much better than on the 3DS. It really feels like a home console even when you play portable, with all the required control working perfectly in there (even when using the tiny joycons instead of the Pro Controllers). TBH the size is annoying, but my biggest complain is the weight.
I wouldn't be surprised if they released a Switch Mini at some point, smaller lighter and with longer battery life. Or a Switch TV as dedicated. They'd be kinda stupid not too tbh, with the mini at least.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The N2DS XL feels less heavy, more cheap (in therms of materials), but that makes it really handy and confortable to play.
I've got an O2DS (very confortable), O3DS (the smallest of them all and the less confortable for big hands), a 3DS XL (bit heavy and not so confortable), a N3DS XL (it's like playing with an O3DS XL, in therms of size and weight) and a N2DS XL; from them all, I prefer the N2DS XL.

Don't (yet) have a Switch, but when I do, I will really enjoy playing it.

Justeego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The best feature Switch has it's that you never turn it off, it's like closing your 3DS but it lasts way long, I left switch almost 2 weeks and it had 15% battery and drained from joycons, my 3DS XL last only half week and turns off completely. It's super easy to pick up and play without the need of booting.

I use my handhelds only on bed, toilet and long travels, Switch is super portable even if it don't fit in a pocket because most of the time you use it at home or you have a travel bag. You NEED a screen protector (the dock is your enemy) and a case if you use it outside home (it's the first time I had to buy a console case).

The form factor is very nice, you will adapt soon, it's very nice to have your full games working in portable mode, they also run smoother but are a bit blurrier, when you play dock you will notice the more powerful rendering distance and additional effects on games (and increased crispness). The problem is that I found myself not wanting to play handheld Doom on the toilet because I was playing worse (I use gyro), but other games like Zelda and Pokken and Mario Kart can be played without downsides.

I never owned a home console and when I realized how nice it was to play on the couch I now play always docked if I can, I still use my 3DS XL because I have more turn based games to play on the toiled, but it feels a piece of technology from 15 years ago.

Last edited by Justeego,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if they released a Switch Mini at some point, smaller lighter and with longer battery life.

Pick one of the two. Battery technology hasn't been going anywhere, and I doubt ARM is suddenly going to get massively more efficient, especially for games. You can see what they sacrificed to make the 2DS XL.

I too am a bit frustrated by the Switch's awkwardness, but I also find the screen about as small as it can go for me. In fact some games are already too small for me to ever play undocked, and in many cases I'm just wondering why devs didn't increase the font size a bit. (Hello Octopath.) While there's a bunch of other things that can be done to make the hardware more portable, I would be worried about them shrinking the actual display much, unless devs are willing to differentiate handheld and docked UIs more.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pick one of the two. Battery technology hasn't been going anywhere, and I doubt ARM is suddenly going to get massively more efficient, especially for games. You can see what they sacrificed to make the 2DS XL.

I too am a bit frustrated by the Switch's awkwardness, but I also find the screen about as small as it can go for me. In fact some games are already too small for me to ever play undocked, and in many cases I'm just wondering why devs didn't increase the font size a bit. (Hello Octopath.) While there's a bunch of other things that can be done to make the hardware more portable, I would be worried about them shrinking the actual display much, unless devs are willing to differentiate handheld and docked UIs more.
Smaller lower quality screen, built on joy-con with less features, 2 years of technology advances, no need for HD out; I'm sure smaller and longer battery is more than possible should they choose to go that route in the future.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I play my 3DS laying down, and so did my wii u gamepad when I had it, so im assuming it should be okay unless its meant to be enjoyed sitting more.

I play my Switch laying down no problem. But the charging cable can get in the way.

I actually bought one of these things, so that I can play the Switch lying down while charging (when someone is using the TV so that I can't play it docked), so I can just rest it on my chest/stomach and not get tired arms holding it up.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-adjustable-charge-stand.516573/
dock.jpeg

Last edited by bundat,

Clapmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thin but wide. Buttons feel pretty nice and screen looks amazing. I would recommend upgrading just because he screen looks so much better than 3ds. Only complaint I have is with the d-pad. It's fine for a lot of stuff but if you have to use diagonals a lot like with street fighter it takes some getting use to.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

SpaceMonkeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you get the right case for it then it feels amazing, although still bigger than the 3ds. I got one case that has gripping at the back and it made it more enjoyable to play on the go.

Without a case it feels a bit awkward to hold, compared to the 3ds. This is the one I got.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol