Upgrade then downgrade - am I being dumb?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Wasp_Box, Jan 7, 2009.

Jan 7, 2009
  1. Wasp_Box
    OP

    Newcomer Wasp_Box Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    17
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

    I have just purchased a 2nd hand Wii that's hardly been used and never connected to the Internet. System version is 3.1E. My plan is to hack it in a few weeks time to 3.2, Starfall etc. I intend to wait until my son has gone through the games he got with it, really because of the (seemingly low) risk of bricking it.

    The problem is that he wants to connect to the Shop Channel and send messages to his pals but, in order to do this Nintendo is insisting that I upgrade (to 3.4 I presume) and switch WiiConnect 24 on. So...

    My thought was to upgrade it, let him mess about and then, at a later date, downgrade and hack it. This feels intuitively wrong and I wondered if anyone had any comment.

    Also, do Nintendo automatically apply an upgrade if WiiConnect 24 is switched on - I guess they would ask first but just wanted to check.

    Many thanks.
     
  2. Takaishi

    Newcomer Takaishi Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Messages:
    67
    Location:
    Monterrey, Nuevo León, México
    Country:
    Mexico
    You can upgrade the wii version with a gamedisc, i think there's a list of the updates on http://wiibrew.org
    While you wait until my son has gone through the games he got, check if a game makes an unpdate, so you can then install starfall and all what you want.

    I recomend you to install at least the homebrew channel now, in case you install a new update that block all.
     
  3. GexX2

    Member GexX2 Lurker

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    Messages:
    517
    Location:
    Tennesee, US
    Country:
    United States
    Install a cIOS so you can safely downgrade after the update.

    Or you can use the Wiishop+IOS51 installer if you want to avoid upgrading entirely.
     
  4. Wasp_Box
    OP

    Newcomer Wasp_Box Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    17
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you very much for your really quick replies.

    It would really piss me off to upgrade and find I had locked myself in. I think I'll persuade him to wait and have a bash at it in a week or two.

    Cheers
     

Share This Page