Hacking Updating to 4.0 through the network update option

Beego

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My wii almost completely stopped reading discs recently, as a possible solve I bought a wii lens cleaner kit from hong kong, which besides from removing a ton of yellowish looking gunk from the lens, had absolutely no effect on the usability of the drive.

So I decided to try an official system update. The reasoning behind this was that I might have messed with some of the IOS since I downgraded from 3.4 to 3.2 previously and thought that an update might fix them (dont point out im a Noob, I know that already).

My wii is hardmoded with a wiikey and softmoded with a backup loader (just for kicks) but no starfall, preloader etc.

Im an impulsive person so I just went straight to the update option in wii settings and gave it the go ahead. Last I was on GBAtemp (been a lurker for a while) the newest system menu upgrade was 3.5 so that was what I was expecting.

Low and behold my system menu went straight to 4.0. That made me turn on the old PC and have a browse around for info on 4.0..

Wiibrew stated that "Installing new homebrew is disabled by this version", so I got a bit of a sweathy palm syndrome right there.. Browsing GBAtemp I noticed a new thing popped up, a wii USBloader.. Now I was really kicking myself, because I read somewhere that I couldent downgrade from 4.0 and wasent able to install new homebrew, which I though the USB-loader would be.

Finally here is the point of this rant..
I had absolutely no issue installing the USB loader or installing new homebrew.. It all works just as it did under 3.2 (havent tested the twilight hack, but I dont need that anymore).. I dont know if its because my wii is hardmoded or because I previously stuffed some cIOS in there. But it can still do it all..

Is the info at wiibrew wrong? Why are people using a custom install of 4.0 if the official upgrade method works fine?

In short... What gives?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
if you update a system with no previous homebrew to 4.0, you'll be stuck
but if there is a cios and hbc before the update, everthing is still good to go

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum