Updating to 4.0 through the network update option

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Beego, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Beego
    OP

Beego Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2009
    My wii almost completely stopped reading discs recently, as a possible solve I bought a wii lens cleaner kit from hong kong, which besides from removing a ton of yellowish looking gunk from the lens, had absolutely no effect on the usability of the drive.

So I decided to try an official system update. The reasoning behind this was that I might have messed with some of the IOS since I downgraded from 3.4 to 3.2 previously and thought that an update might fix them (dont point out im a Noob, I know that already).

My wii is hardmoded with a wiikey and softmoded with a backup loader (just for kicks) but no starfall, preloader etc.

Im an impulsive person so I just went straight to the update option in wii settings and gave it the go ahead. Last I was on GBAtemp (been a lurker for a while) the newest system menu upgrade was 3.5 so that was what I was expecting.

Low and behold my system menu went straight to 4.0. That made me turn on the old PC and have a browse around for info on 4.0..

Wiibrew stated that "Installing new homebrew is disabled by this version", so I got a bit of a sweathy palm syndrome right there.. Browsing GBAtemp I noticed a new thing popped up, a wii USBloader.. Now I was really kicking myself, because I read somewhere that I couldent downgrade from 4.0 and wasent able to install new homebrew, which I though the USB-loader would be.

Finally here is the point of this rant..
    I had absolutely no issue installing the USB loader or installing new homebrew.. It all works just as it did under 3.2 (havent tested the twilight hack, but I dont need that anymore).. I dont know if its because my wii is hardmoded or because I previously stuffed some cIOS in there. But it can still do it all..

Is the info at wiibrew wrong? Why are people using a custom install of 4.0 if the official upgrade method works fine?

In short... What gives?

2. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    if you update a system with no previous homebrew to 4.0, you'll be stuck
    but if there is a cios and hbc before the update, everthing is still good to go

3. Beego
    OP

Beego Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2009
    Ahh ok.. Thanks for the fast respons.

Maybe somebody should update wiibrew to reflect that fact..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice