Homebrew updating homebrew setup, looking for advice.

Slegiar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's been a while since I did any tinkering with my Wii U homebrew setup. Last I checked, things were pretty stable. However, hearing about the 5.5.4 update and some minor changes, I figured it couldn't hurt to see if there's any last corners that can be shaved off to smooth the install even further

List of stuff done to the system:
I've got CBHC setup, so everything's ready to go when the system is turned on.
vWii stuff setup, along with forwarders so i can launch pretty much all games i've got installed from the wii u menu. Wii u, Wii, GC.
Far as I know i've got the DNS settings to block updates that was the norm last time i was tinkering. not certain though if i got 5.5.3 when that came out or not though

Basically what I want to do is get this so called final update installed since it seems to make things easier with the eshop. than I want to verify that i don't need to lock anything else down to keep the installs and account safe and all that from nintendo.

Finally, like i said, smoothing anything else out as far as the overall setup goes. does anyone know if there have been any ease of use improvements for installing non-eshop DS games and n64 games? and with the 64 stuff, any improvements to the emulator?
I remember with the 64, the issue there was similar to 64 emulation in general, some coding that wasn't quite complete for proper emulation of a few things. but with the injecting stuff, the tools that were available and that i tried to get working, i had less than helpful success with. meanwhile TeconMoons wiiVC injector was super useful and effective with both Wii and Gamecube games. so i'm wondering/hoping if there's been any work on something like that.

So to summarize questions here:
1. Desiring to update to 5.5.4 and reinstate CBHC afterwards. is there anything i need to do before turning off the DNS block to prepare, and afterwards, do i just hit the "DO NOT TOUCH" CBHC button to get it restarted and working properly?
2. Has there been any updates in the area of DS emulation on the wii u?
3. Has there been any updates in the area of 64 emulation or injection on the system? I've been wanting to play majora's mask with the wii u display updates, but not the shading stuff the VC does. figure if i can get things set up for all the 64 games i have as well, bonus.

and 4. any tips to lock stuff down so i won't have to do too much tinkering in the future once i get everything set up and don't have to worry about account issues or the like based on the homebrew being there. i know, people will probably say "nintendo doesn't care about wii u" but i'm overly cautious sometimes, so...i figure it can't hurt to ask.

Reactions: jeannotte

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. I never updated, so I don't know. But touching the "DO NOT TOUCH" button sounds horribly wrong. That button also isn't an installer.
2. Not that I know of.
3. Forwarders are still in the same state. I guess what you want / what's needed to make N64 emulation more user friendly would be emulator forwarders (so forwarders not for the emulator as is but also autostarting a specific ROM, so it feels like VC injects). Anyway, the VC shading stuff is changeable now:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-vi...re-dark-filter-and-widescreen-support.517158/
Phacox's Injector is able to do this, too.
4. Don't use CBHC / Haxchi but start Mocha via browserexploit on demand. No, seriously, there should be no need to hide anything.

Slegiar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I never updated, so I don't know. But touching the "DO NOT TOUCH" button sounds horribly wrong. That button also isn't an installer.
2. Not that I know of.
3. Forwarders are still in the same state. I guess what you want / what's needed to make N64 emulation more user friendly would be emulator forwarders (so forwarders not for the emulator as is but also autostarting a specific ROM, so it feels like VC injects). Anyway, the VC shading stuff is changeable now:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-vi...re-dark-filter-and-widescreen-support.517158/
Phacox's Injector is able to do this, too.
4. Don't use CBHC / Haxchi but start Mocha via browserexploit on demand. No, seriously, there should be no need to hide anything.

I think it's labeled do not touch specifically as a reminder to not delete it or mess with it by accident. I'll need to do more research on the specifics, like i said it's been a while since i was tinkering with installing and setting up homebrew, so i've forgotten a few things, and i try to come at projects like this being certain that i'm not going to screw anything up by accident. but I do prefer using CBHC over starting stuff on demand just to avoid dealing with extra steps, but i'll look into it, just to see what the process looks like, but i might still go with the convenient option ^^;;

Yes! that injector looks just like what i was looking for ^^ and i'll look into that vc shading thread, thank you very much!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)