sangweb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
Just update from 8 to 9.1 using Choidujour and getting black screen after Atmosphere logo so I assume the sd card is corrupted, I copied all the files to another SD card, get it boot up fine but now I am getting Gamecard cannot be read, even physical game card cannot boot. Any suggestions on how to fix the existing sd card or the new one? One show me black screen, the other having game card cannot read. TIA

sangweb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
almost forgot, my current sd card is exFat32 while my new one is Fat32 as I cannot seem to get the switch boot using exFat32. It will only boot Fat32 sd card.

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds to me like you didn't choose to update to 9.1 exfat which explains the sdcard issue, you can remedy this by using a fat32 card to update to 9.1 again except this time selecting exfat. The gamecard issue sounds to me like you've got the nogc patch enabled so you'll need to disable it. IDK how to do that though but it's likely just changing a line in an ini file

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SD card didn't work because it's exFAT, and you didn't install the exFAT driver during the update. It is recommended that you backup everything on the SD card and reformat it as FAT32 (use guiformat for this). Using exFAT is heavily discouraged, since it's more likely to corrupt on the Switch.

As for your game cartridge slot, you need to disable the block on game cartridge slot updates by editing BCT.ini. However, this will make it so the game cartridge slot will never again work on anything lower than 9.1.0 (or whenever the last GC slot update was).

Last edited by Lacius,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
There are a lot of threads reporting these 2 particular problems when updating to 9.1... You could simply search and find the solutions within 3 minutes.

sangweb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SD card didn't work because it's exFAT, and you didn't install the exFAT driver during the update. It is recommended that you backup everything on the SD card and reformat it as FAT32 (use guiformat for this). Using exFAT is heavily discouraged, since it's more likely to corrupt on the Switch.

As for your game cartridge slot, you need to disable the block on game cartridge slot updates by editing BCT.ini. However, this will make it so the game cartridge slot will never again work on anything lower than 9.1.0 (or whenever the last GC slot update was).

I format another card with FAT32, copy everything from the exFat32 over, kept getting cannot read game card error, I've ended up downgraded to 8.1 & it's back to normal now. I was going to use this opportunity to upgrade the sd card but so far unsuccessfully done. I'm going to give out another shot. Is there any downside of fat32 vs exfat?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I format another card with FAT32, copy everything from the exFat32 over, kept getting cannot read game card error, I've ended up downgraded to 8.1 & it's back to normal now. I was going to use this opportunity to upgrade the sd card but so far unsuccessfully done. I'm going to give out another shot. Is there any downside of fat32 vs exfat?
You didn't read my post carefully. You should be using FAT32 to solve the black screen error. To solve the game cartridge slot error, you need to edit the BCT.ini file to allow the cartridge slot to be updated.

As I also said in my previous post, exFAT is very heavily discouraged because it is a lot more likely to cause corruption issues. The Switch exFAT drivers are not very good. It is recommended that you use FAT32.

All of the answers to your questions are in my previous post.

Swordoggo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You didn't read my post carefully. You should be using FAT32 to solve the black screen error. To solve the game cartridge slot error, you need to edit the BCT.ini file to allow the cartridge slot to be updated.

As I also said in my previous post, exFAT is very heavily discouraged because it is a lot more likely to cause corruption issues. The Switch exFAT drivers are not very good. It is recommended that you use FAT32.

All of the answers to your questions are in my previous post.
A small question here,, i might be wrong, but the main sd card problem (The fat32 one that was "corrupted") could have been a nxthemes problem? I want to know for future references, thank you!:)

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
A small question here,, i might be wrong, but the main sd card problem (The fat32 one that was "corrupted") could have been a nxthemes problem? I want to know for future references, thank you!:)

It could have been a NXthemes problem

SX OS needs a patch for lockscreens on the higher firmware

If you dont have one the switch wont boot

Not sure about atmosphere

Swordoggo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
It could have been a NXthemes problem

SX OS needs a patch for lockscreens on the higher firmware

If you dont have one the switch wont boot

Not sure about atmosphere
After reading a few posts regarding the "not booting up problems", I realized that everytime you update the system using Choidujour without erasing certain atmosphere folders (0100000000001000 and 0100000000000811, specifically) always bricks the console. So yeah, that might have been the main problem :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: