PS1/2 Update or not?

vonfnas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi!

I haven't been online with my PS3 since the end of March, all because I didn't want to update the firmware and loose the "OtherOS"-function, which may come in handy if homebrew/backups ever will be possible in the future.
Now I've been waiting for a CFW ever since, and it a PAIN...

Should I update and forget about the "OtherOS"-function?

Or is there a EASY way to workaround the firmware-update and still be able to go online (PSN and online gaming)?
Can I do somekind of backup of anything on my PS3 to possible downgrade later on?

Please, I need your opinion... this is sooo frustrating.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their was two updates, one on April 2nd, and April 22nd. I hope this helps, here is some notes.
Click on me!

EDIT: My bad, I see you knew about the PS3 updates, so I got ya all wrong. Ignore my post.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nope, I guess geohot has given up on his CFW, or at least is trying to make it on a later FW version. The last update on his twitter about the PS3 was on the 14th of April...

TheWon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are your principles or do you even have any. My PS3 has been off every sense Sony pulled this move. I paid 599 for my PS3, and now they want to remove a feature i paid for. Without a rebate, apology or anything that understand how the consumer feels. Instead we get you don't use it anyway or it's not important. It was important enough for you to charge me for it. So I'm currently waiting for that one guy to make a Custom Firmware. If he can't odds are I'm going to sale my PS3, and buy a 360 maybe.

If it's your only system, and you don't care about certain things then do it. If you have another system that you can use then just wait.

I have a Wii that I play more the my PS3 anyway. The only reason I bought it was to play some 3rd party games and anime imports.

vonfnas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
TheWon said:
What are your principles or do you even have any. My PS3 has been off every sense Sony pulled this move. I paid 599 for my PS3, and now they want to remove a feature i paid for. Without a rebate, apology or anything that understand how the consumer feels. Instead we get you don't use it anyway or it's not important. It was important enough for you to charge me for it. So I'm currently waiting for that one guy to make a Custom Firmware. If he can't odds are I'm going to sale my PS3, and buy a 360 maybe.

If it's your only system, and you don't care about certain things then do it. If you have another system that you can use then just wait.

I have a Wii that I play more the my PS3 anyway. The only reason I bought it was to play some 3rd party games and anime imports.
The only thing that keeps me hanging on to it is that it may come in handy in the future, nothing else.
I also bought my PS3 for $600, and feel the same way you do, Sony treats their customers like shit.

For the past months I've done nothing but playing Wii and 360, the only few times I've used my PS3 is when I'm watching blu-rays...
But it's still frustraiting, I mainly only buy games for my PS3, and only exclusive titles for the other two.

I guess I'll wait some more for that CFW...

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the CFW thing is basically "dead" in the PSP world; chances are slim that it will ever happen for PS3

Geohot basically probably is just showing a proof of concept, that its possible, but meh doubt he can be really bothered with it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    B @ btjunior: i am 16 but set my birthday to 9/11 lmao