[UPDATE] Nintendo Switch firmware update version 12.0.3 available, only to be pulled after issues

Untitled.png

Are you ready to rumble? The Switch sure isn't, because it's so stable. A brand new firmware update has been pushed out, bringing the Nintendo hybrid system to software version 12.0.3. As usual, the patch notes don't offer a single bit of insight as to what this update brings to the table, so if you're curious about what's going on under the hood, be sure to wait it out and get the all-clear from the usual knowledgable sources and devs.

Ver. 12.0.3 (Released June 7, 2021)
General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

:arrow: Source

UPDATE: SciresM has commented on the matter. It appears Atmosphere users will need an update, which will happen soon, likely sometime tomorrow.

UPDATE 2: Reports are going around that the update has been pulled, as it causes issues with downloading games from the eShop. Supposedly, the update is still live on Nintendo's servers, but Switch consoles now default back to seeing 12.0.2 as the most recent update. Be wary of any issues, if you did update, and share any experiences. Nintendo still has the 12.0.3 announcement post live on their official website.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put my switch to update at this moment and didn't find this new update, it says it's already update and still marks 12.0.2, I'm playing and going online perfectly, it's an error on my console or nintendo canceled this new update ?

I have the same issue also, and that Switch is legit. I have 2 Switches by the way (One hacked, other legit).

PhantomFist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Can someone enlighten me real quick on something I've been wondering for a while? Why are the firmwares of these consoles (I have the Switch and the PS3 in mind) easily and publicly available in other places? The Switch firmwares are on archive org and the PS3 ones are provided by Sony themselves, why is this the case? Licenses?

You'd think removing these would be one of their first steps in curbing piracy or whatever nonsense they're parroting that particular month

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you call it when you're good at plunging a knife on things?
STABility

The Switch is so stable now... that i can throw it off the highest building and it will still work (and ask for that same stupid update) just like the Nokia 3310

An original joke ?
Finally?

I think I'd rather hear a good joke that I've heard 100,000 times before, than hear one as horrendous as those two were.

I also hope they never give people themes on the Switch.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,
Reactions: Asia81

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put my switch to update at this moment and didn't find this new update, it says it's already update and still marks 12.0.2, I'm playing and going online perfectly, it's an error on my console or nintendo canceled this new update ?

not sure. did they pull the update? because I updated earlier today to play wonder boy without worrying about accidentally hitting update when coming back from sleep mode. it took less than a second to update (possibly the fastest update of any console I've ever seen). it shows 12.0.3 in system settings for me, and I'm not nagged by the update. something weird may be going on. however, I didn't encounter any problems while playing the game, so if they pulled it, what's going to happen with everyone who already updated such as myself? I only updated my primary switch, haven't checked the other two.

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
not sure. did they pull the update? because I updated earlier today to play wonder boy without worrying about accidentally hitting update when coming back from sleep mode. it took less than a second to update (possibly the fastest update of any console I've ever seen). it shows 12.0.3 in system settings for me, and I'm not nagged by the update. something weird may be going on. however, I didn't encounter any problems while playing the game, so if they pulled it, what's going to happen with everyone who already updated such as myself? I only updated my primary switch, haven't checked the other two.
Perhaps it’s fully exploitable ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

12.0.3-1 eta wen?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps it’s fully exploitable ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

12.0.3-1 eta wen?

I haven't tried downloading a game or an update though. however, game builder garage comes out on Friday. I have the game preloaded on my system, so it's on the home menu, just don't have the ticket or whatever is downloaded upon a game's release. I haven't updated my other two switches.

20210608_093512.jpg

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Can someone enlighten me real quick on something I've been wondering for a while? Why are the firmwares of these consoles (I have the Switch and the PS3 in mind) easily and publicly available in other places? The Switch firmwares are on archive org and the PS3 ones are provided by Sony themselves, why is this the case? Licenses?

You'd think removing these would be one of their first steps in curbing piracy or whatever nonsense they're parroting that particular month
The reason they're made available elsewhere (at least, in Sony's case, Nintendo's is just cuz someone dumps them and puts it online), is so you can update your console without having to connect that console to the internet. It's not so important a "feature" these days, given everything is easily connected via wifi, but "back in the day" when the seventh generation consoles launched not everyone had a wifi-capable router, or just connected via ethernet but couldn't run a line to wherever, or didn't have any internet at all at home. It's also intended to be used for recovery as well (again, at least in Sony's case), so people don't always have to go sending their consoles in to a repair center for something as simple as a 2 minute firmware reinstall.

As to pulling them, why would removing them curb piracy? The firmware files provided are encrypted and nothing can be done with them unless the console is already hacked at which point it doesn't matter because you can just pull them from the console itself.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Makes me wonder. Do they even bug test their updates? How the hell did they not come across this bug before release?
Maybe the Nintendo of 10+ years ago would've cared to make sure what they release is a solid product.
Nintendo of nowadays? Durifto master.

Besides, they still don't have a clue how the internet works, so, guess there's not much to be surprised about them fucking up something online-related.

Reactions: IC_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries