Hacking Update nag in emunand

petspeed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hi

I have my emunand on v 8.1.0 and that is working fine. But today I got a popup that there is an system update ready to install. I am worried that my son might select Yes to that prompt. What happens if he does? Will it update sysnand or emunand? My fear is that it updates sysnand and renders the 3DS unusable for Gateway.

Thanks for any help

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi

I have my emunand on v 8.1.0 and that is working fine. But today I got a popup that there is an system update ready to install. I am worried that my son might select Yes to that prompt. What happens if he does? Will it update sysnand or emunand? My fear is that it updates sysnand and renders the 3DS unusable for Gateway.

Thanks for any help
It update your 3DS to Firmware 9.0.0 what is not supported by gateway now. They will release a new launcher shortly. Than you can update.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes but is it sysnand or emunand that will be updated this way?
Just update your 3DS via Settings. Boot in gateway mod -> settings -> There should be "GW3D (firmware)" -> than system update (IN SETTINGS). But the new system update isn`t supported by gateway now. Just wait for new launcher :)

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You have to pass at least 2 or 3 screens to do the update, so there's no way you can update accidentally. (You can still backup your emunand with emunand tool, just in case)

petspeed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I know all that but I am afraid that my son will update through the popup (not in settings) and that it will result in an updated sysnand. The general rule is always only update in settings because otherwise you risk updating sysnand instead of emunand.

So my original question is will updating when the popup shows update the emunand or the sysnand?

wiiuser2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I know all that but I am afraid that my son will update through the popup (not in settings) and that it will result in an updated sysnand. The general rule is always only update in settings because otherwise you risk updating sysnand instead of emunand.

So my original question is will updating when the popup shows update the emunand or the sysnand?

My 2 cents:
To avoid any confusion with your son I would configure three dummy Wifi access points in sysnand so you are sure he cannot get online in sysnand.
Make a backup copy of the latest working emunand with the emunand tool and your are safe (even against a premature emunand update by your son, simply copy back the emunand backup)

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tried turning off and booting back into emunand? I'm sure this cleared the nag for me, back when my emunand was 7.x and the 8.x update came out.

clienthax

Trophies
XP
Country
i think that turning on parental controls still makes it so you need the key to run the update by default, could try that

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Nope, parental controls haven't blocked running updates since 3.x, so the whole "parental controls will protect you" is pointless, there is no way to block updates on any fw from 4.x onwards, best you can do is just try avoid downloading them by not leaving the wifi on in sleep mode etc, and making sure there is no valid wifi connections in sysnand

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
In my own experiences parent control is really helpfull. I set it up and dont get the popup anymore. I think the update is still downloaded, but however, the popup isn't there. I can confirm that it works!

willdunz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so if I get update nag, all I have to do is use emunand tool to copy back my 8.1 backup?

can I do a factory reset in emunand 8.1? will that get rid of update nag

Genshrooms

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am having a similar problem. I have been using emuNAND 8.1 successfully for a while.
I booted Gateway mode (went to my emuNAND), then went to System Update to update the emuNAND.
After the update (it said update successful), it brought me back to my HOME menu on my SysNAND (v4.4). Then the blue LED/light on the 3DS flashed and asked me to update (even though I have all spotpass settings off). I chose not to update.

But now, when I go to Nintendo DS Profile Setting and boot Gateway mode, I just get a black screen and nothing happens (stays black).

Is there any way that I can still use my Gateway 3DS on this 3DS now?
Is it a problem with my SysNAND (it is still on 4.4 but keeps asking for update)?
Or is it a problem with the emuNAND (version 9.x isn't supported for emuNAND yet)?
Or both?

If it is the emuNAND, it shouldn't be too long before Gateway releases an update that lets me use emuNAND 9.x (so soon I can use my Gateway on this 3DS again), right?
If it is the SysNAND, it will probably be a very long time before Gateway flashcart can support a 3DS on v9.0, right?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

Tell him sternly to never update it. If he updates anyway, blister his fucking ass until the skin is peeling from bone, and make him get a job to pay you back so you can buy another 4.5U 3DS. I don't even care if it's child slave labor.

Reactions: Huntereb

willdunz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you're connected to the internet when you close your console, you'll get the update nag.

actually I already got the update nag. I'm just wondering how to get rid of it. some people tell me to do a factory reset in 8.1 emunand. some poople tell me to copy back my 8.1 backup. I don't know which one is the correct way of doing this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air.