Update nag in emunand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by petspeed, Oct 12, 2014.

1. petspeed
    OP

petspeed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2009
    Hi

I have my emunand on v 8.1.0 and that is working fine. But today I got a popup that there is an system update ready to install. I am worried that my son might select Yes to that prompt. What happens if he does? Will it update sysnand or emunand? My fear is that it updates sysnand and renders the 3DS unusable for Gateway.

Thanks for any help

2. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    It update your 3DS to Firmware 9.0.0 what is not supported by gateway now. They will release a new launcher shortly. Than you can update.

3. petspeed
    OP

Nov 13, 2009
    Yes but is it sysnand or emunand that will be updated this way?

4. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Just update your 3DS via Settings. Boot in gateway mod -> settings -> There should be "GW3D (firmware)" -> than system update (IN SETTINGS). But the new system update isn`t supported by gateway now. Just wait for new launcher :)

5. crea

crea GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2013
    Lesotho
    That's a horribly abiguous comment. Do NOT update anything. Wait for new launcher.

6. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    You have to pass at least 2 or 3 screens to do the update, so there's no way you can update accidentally. (You can still backup your emunand with emunand tool, just in case)

7. petspeed
    OP

Nov 13, 2009
    I know all that but I am afraid that my son will update through the popup (not in settings) and that it will result in an updated sysnand. The general rule is always only update in settings because otherwise you risk updating sysnand instead of emunand.

So my original question is will updating when the popup shows update the emunand or the sysnand?

8. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    If you don't have the popup on sysnand too, it will update only the emunand.

petspeed likes this.
  9. wiiuser2

wiiuser2 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    My 2 cents:
    To avoid any confusion with your son I would configure three dummy Wifi access points in sysnand so you are sure he cannot get online in sysnand.
    Make a backup copy of the latest working emunand with the emunand tool and your are safe (even against a premature emunand update by your son, simply copy back the emunand backup)

10. petspeed
    OP

Nov 13, 2009
    Thanks guys I already have a backup of my emunand. As long as I know that my sysnand is safe then I am happy.

11. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Have you tried turning off and booting back into emunand? I'm sure this cleared the nag for me, back when my emunand was 7.x and the 8.x update came out.

12. clienthax

clienthax GBAtemp Regular

Oct 21, 2009
    i think that turning on parental controls still makes it so you need the key to run the update by default, could try that

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Nope, parental controls haven't blocked running updates since 3.x, so the whole "parental controls will protect you" is pointless, there is no way to block updates on any fw from 4.x onwards, best you can do is just try avoid downloading them by not leaving the wifi on in sleep mode etc, and making sure there is no valid wifi connections in sysnand

14. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    In my own experiences parent control is really helpfull. I set it up and dont get the popup anymore. I think the update is still downloaded, but however, the popup isn't there. I can confirm that it works!

15. willdunz

willdunz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2012
    United States
    so if I get update nag, all I have to do is use emunand tool to copy back my 8.1 backup?

can I do a factory reset in emunand 8.1? will that get rid of update nag

16. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

As long as you're connected to the internet when you close your console, you'll get the update nag.

17. Genshrooms

Genshrooms Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    Canada
    I am having a similar problem. I have been using emuNAND 8.1 successfully for a while.
    I booted Gateway mode (went to my emuNAND), then went to System Update to update the emuNAND.
    After the update (it said update successful), it brought me back to my HOME menu on my SysNAND (v4.4). Then the blue LED/light on the 3DS flashed and asked me to update (even though I have all spotpass settings off). I chose not to update.

But now, when I go to Nintendo DS Profile Setting and boot Gateway mode, I just get a black screen and nothing happens (stays black).

Is there any way that I can still use my Gateway 3DS on this 3DS now?
    Is it a problem with my SysNAND (it is still on 4.4 but keeps asking for update)?
    Or is it a problem with the emuNAND (version 9.x isn't supported for emuNAND yet)?
    Or both?

If it is the emuNAND, it shouldn't be too long before Gateway releases an update that lets me use emuNAND 9.x (so soon I can use my Gateway on this 3DS again), right?
    If it is the SysNAND, it will probably be a very long time before Gateway flashcart can support a 3DS on v9.0, right?

18. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Tell him sternly to never update it. If he updates anyway, blister his fucking ass until the skin is peeling from bone, and make him get a job to pay you back so you can buy another 4.5U 3DS. I don't even care if it's child slave labor.

Huntereb likes this.
  19. petspeed
    OP

Nov 13, 2009
    It's your emunand. Gateway doesn't support 9.x for emunand yet.

20. willdunz

willdunz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2012
    United States

actually I already got the update nag. I'm just wondering how to get rid of it. some people tell me to do a factory reset in 8.1 emunand. some poople tell me to copy back my 8.1 backup. I don't know which one is the correct way of doing this