Jedis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I've been out of the loop for about a year or so. It appears I need to update the firmware to play Star Rush and several other new games. I have a Gateway red cart and I normally boot into Gateway mode by using the DS Profile menu option.

How would I go about updating? I found this guide: https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(no-browser)

But, I am concerned that this may not be the best thing to follow at this time. Could someone please explain what I need to do to preserve ROMs, saves, etc., so that I don't lose anything?

What essentially am I doing/need to do to update? Do I even need the Gateway any longer if I follow the guide linked above? Would appreciate a high level overview so I can jump back into things.

Thanks so much!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

I've been out of the loop for about a year or so. It appears I need to update the firmware to play Star Rush and several other new games. I have a Gateway red cart and I normally boot into Gateway mode by using the DS Profile menu option.

How would I go about updating? I found this guide: https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(no-browser)

But, I am concerned that this may not be the best thing to follow at this time. Could someone please explain what I need to do to preserve ROMs, saves, etc., so that I don't lose anything?

What essentially am I doing/need to do to update? Do I even need the Gateway any longer if I follow the guide linked above? Would appreciate a high level overview so I can jump back into things.

Thanks so much!
You just need to update the Launcher.dat on 3DS SD, then update your emuNAND.
You don't really need Gateway anymore, however if you want to switch to Luma you'll have to convert your .3ds/.3dz games and their saves to CIA which can be a pain in the ass.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You'll be a million times better off if you install a9lh then get Gateway working with it afterward if you want to keep using it.

Or, just update your launcher.dat then update your emuNAND (you won't be able to play Sun & Moon)

For a9lh then getting your Gateway working again :
3ds.guide/get-started THEN https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

Or just updating your launcher.dat : go to Gateway's website and download the 4.2 files, paste launcher.dat over the one in your SD card (inside the console not in the cartridge), then update emuNAND.

Reactions: Zidapi

Jedis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. I have a9lh up and running with Gateway installed!

How do I go about converting my existing 3ds to Cia?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1