Hacking Unofficial Luma build discussion

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it possible to automatically set the maximum volume value to a lower value every time the 3DS is turned on? Basically, I'd like to permanently have the volume value set to 80% when the slider is at the top.

Ryu_Okami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Nutez can you implement this into your latest builds?
It allows the loading of a custom logo.bin from sd/luma/logo.bin
this makes it possible to have custom loading splashes for all apps.
I personally prefer https://github.com/badda71/vice3ds/blob/master/meta/logo-padded.lz11
https://github.com/Pixel-Pop/Luma3DS/commit/d225d9fa507dcccce3a6c86d0a38f7998f39b7a2

(postscript)
https://github.com/YoshiOG1/Luma3DS-Loader-Mod
this may also help, i dont know if theres benefits of patching more than just home menu with layeredfs but if its not already a feature, perhaps allow all system apps to be patched?

Last edited by Ryu_Okami,
Reactions: Nutez

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
Any chance this build could introduce the option to change the whitepoint of each screen? Mine are as they were out of the factory: uncalibrated and non-matching.

I saw the redshift feature and I thought maybe a whitepoint setting could be derived from the code for that.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New Update
Sorry I've been pretty MIA lately. Here is the official Luma version number bump release! It also picks up the latest changes from the last few months. And includes the sweet custom logo.bin loading that @Ryu_Okami suggested (many thanks to creator Pixel-Pop).

Is it possible to automatically set the maximum volume value to a lower value every time the 3DS is turned on? Basically, I'd like to permanently have the volume value set to 80% when the slider is at the top.
Um, to be honest, I'm not looking to expand the software volume feature because It was originally designed as a workaround for broken hardware by Sono and I just incorporated that into this fork. Sorry.

Any chance this build could introduce the option to change the whitepoint of each screen? Mine are as they were out of the factory: uncalibrated and non-matching.

I saw the redshift feature and I thought maybe a whitepoint setting could be derived from the code for that.
I've heard that it would be possible, but I don't have the experience to implement something like that myself. Another "sorry" from me I'm afraid :ninja:.

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll try asking here too. Is there any way to patch/replace HOME Menu applets?
Like launching something else from where Miiverse is, for example I'd like to replace it with Universal Updater.
I know you can do aesthetic changes like icons and text on HOME Menu but so far it seems that's really not possible to actually replace functionality of that part of the screen, which imo is mostly wasted except perhaps for the browser.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll try asking here too. Is there any way to patch/replace HOME Menu applets?
Like launching something else from where Miiverse is, for example I'd like to replace it with Universal Updater.
I know you can do aesthetic changes like icons and text on HOME Menu but so far it seems that's really not possible to actually replace functionality of that part of the screen, which imo is mostly wasted except perhaps for the browser.
I'd guess you could use the title patching function to make them not appear on the home screen, but I don't know how.

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd guess you could use the title patching function to make them not appear on the home screen, but I don't know how.
Oh I know you can do aesthetic changes: different icon, different text or hide them altogether.
What seems impossible to do is to actually change what the icon launches either by hijacking the applet somehow or replacing it completely

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
New Update
Sorry I've been pretty MIA lately. Here is the official Luma version number bump release! It also picks up the latest changes from the last few months. And includes the sweet custom logo.bin loading that @Ryu_Okami suggested (many thanks to creator Pixel-Pop).

Um, to be honest, I'm not looking to expand the software volume feature because It was originally designed as a workaround for broken hardware by Sono and I just incorporated that into this fork. Sorry.

I've heard that it would be possible, but I don't have the experience to implement something like that myself. Another "sorry" from me I'm afraid :ninja:.
THX for your hard work :)

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I know you can do aesthetic changes: different icon, different text or hide them altogether.
What seems impossible to do is to actually change what the icon launches either by hijacking the applet somehow or replacing it completely
rverseTeam had to do some applet patching, so it is possible. I believe they had a discord, so perhaps you could ask around there? I don't believe there have been any homebrew applets created before though.

I was going to try and install a system applet over the top of another system applet by matching their TitleIds. I believe that's possible in theory, but there aren't really many useful system applets worth redirecting to anyway...

Also, what feature would you want to be run as an applet that could be technically achieved? Most applets run without stopping the current application (e.g. game). Setting an applet to link to a full homebrew application would just force you to close the current application/game before launching into it. Most other features that can be achieved whilst an application is running can already be done through the Rosalina menu, a plugin or the official home menu.

It's a cool concept to be able to patch/create applets, but it seems like no one has found a reason motivating enough to develop it much further than that...

One fun concept that I did toy with was trying to use the Software Keyboard applet via Rosalina to write text notes and save them as notifications that could viewed in the Notifications applet. Ended up looking like a lot of work for a pretty niche use-case though as there's already a notes applet, the web applet or just external methods.

Last edited by Nutez,

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
rverseTeam had to do some applet patching, so it is possible. I believe they had a discord, so perhaps you could ask around there? I don't believe there have been any homebrew applets created before though.

I was going to try and install a system applet over the top of another system applet by matching their TitleIds. I believe that's possible in theory, but there aren't really many useful system applets worth redirecting to anyway...
Thanks I'll take a look

Also, what feature would you want to be run as an applet that could be technically achieved? Most applets run without stopping the current application (e.g. game). Setting an applet to link to a full homebrew application would just force you to close the current application/game before launching into it. Most other features that can be achieved whilst an application is running can already be done through the Rosalina menu, a plugin or the official home menu.
I'd love to have Universal Updater (an "appletized" version of it perhaps) in place of Miiverse

It's a cool concept to be able to patch/create applets, but it seems like no one has found a reason motivating enough to develop it much further than that...
Personally having that space wasted irks me lol. Miiverse is the worst offender but perhaps not the only one easily dismissible

Pretendeavor_

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello. First of all, thanks for updating this for Luma 10.3!

It would seem that despite including the plugin loader this version however does not seem compatible with CTGP-7 as of now. CTGP-7 detects this version as an old version and asks to update luma. Is this something the maker(s) of CTGP-7 will have to fix?

I then have a question about the Night/Light on-boot screen filters feature, which is the reason I downloaded your build initially. The way I understand it, it switches between 2 filter/brightness presets on startup/awaken depending on the times you set it to. I was wondering if it is then possible to include a 3rd preset to automatically apply during a customizable 'Sunset' period. Ideally I'd want it to have higher values than the 'Night' preset without being as bright as the day ('Light') preset, similar to 'f.lux' which I use for my laptop.
Could this be set up in the current build somehow via some config files? If not, that's fine too, I'll just play around with the Night settings and times a bit until I find something I like :)

Finally, I have a question about the 'Home button opens Rosalina' feature. I tried it out for a bit and I think it's really nice for when you are sitting on the Home menu and tweaking/updating filter settings for example. It seems to be a little less practical in-game though: pressing the Home button first opens the Rosalina menu and after exiting the menu it suspends the software.
Is there a way for this to only work when you are on the home menu? In games you could then use your normal key combination to open Rosalina and use the Home button to suspend/close the software without it opening Rosalina first.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. First of all, thanks for updating this for Luma 10.3!

It would seem that despite including the plugin loader this version however does not seem compatible with CTGP-7 as of now. CTGP-7 detects this version as an old version and asks to update luma. Is this something the maker(s) of CTGP-7 will have to fix?

I then have a question about the Night/Light on-boot screen filters feature, which is the reason I downloaded your build initially. The way I understand it, it switches between 2 filter/brightness presets on startup/awaken depending on the times you set it to. I was wondering if it is then possible to include a 3rd preset to automatically apply during a customizable 'Sunset' period. Ideally I'd want it to have higher values than the 'Night' preset without being as bright as the day ('Light') preset, similar to 'f.lux' which I use for my laptop.
Could this be set up in the current build somehow via some config files? If not, that's fine too, I'll just play around with the Night settings and times a bit until I find something I like :)

Finally, I have a question about the 'Home button opens Rosalina' feature. I tried it out for a bit and I think it's really nice for when you are sitting on the Home menu and tweaking/updating filter settings for example. It seems to be a little less practical in-game though: pressing the Home button first opens the Rosalina menu and after exiting the menu it suspends the software.
Is there a way for this to only work when you are on the home menu? In games you could then use your normal key combination to open Rosalina and use the Home button to suspend/close the software without it opening Rosalina first.
Thanks for your support!

CTGP-7 restricts the Luma version that can be used to avoid cheating, so this fork has never be compatible. It could maybe be approved for use in future, but I'd rather have the flexibility to just release new builds ad hoc for now.

Yeah Night/Light was a tricky feature to implement and I'm not sure there is screen space to add a third 'mode', unfortunately. The main goal of not getting blasted by daytime screen brightness in the middle of the night was achieved though :nds:. I guess you could manually apply the Redshift filter as your third mode for now?

I may do some more experiments and potentially rework Night/Light in future. I was inspired by the timer method used in this "timelock" fork. Maybe I could incrementally apply increasing intensities of screen filter over time. I think the config and file reading could get pretty messy though so I would probably need to simplify the options and have it as a separate feature...

That's funny, I actually use it in the opposite way. I don't like pressing it on the home menu because it sends my cursor away so I only press it in-game. I'll consider it though, just not sure how I would make it work right now.

Ryu_Okami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we update to merge in a couple of the nightly luma commits I’ve seen?
One involves changing config to be saved to config.ini rather than config.bin. (Makes it user-friendly)
The other involves certain aspects of the time offset, which simplifies it greatly.

The major request I have is to have a way to fully disable some or all settings of the night/light mode, ESPECIALLY the brightness preset.
(When I use my 3DS at inconsistent times in the day in various brightness levels it is complicated to set the brightness presets every reboot based on where I am. I can see where other people would want this as a option though)
Technically adding in just a simple option to disable all night/light features at once should work. It could be stored in the extra config menu, or a “Enable Light Mode” could be added in night/light config.

Also, I would like to know if this screenshot layout mod could be added:
https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/pull/1488
perhaps the timelock you mentione is worth adding? It seems practical to me :P
https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/pull/1727

Additionally, though it’s a long shot, do you have any ideas how the PIN system could be revamped to be actually good?
I had a few ideas but they’re quite complicated and would not be user-friendly to set up. Just curious on your thoughts.

Finally I am wondering if you looked into a notification LED controller. It still is one of the features I and several others personally have wanted for a long time, and it’d be great to add.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can we update to merge in a couple of the nightly luma commits I’ve seen?
One involves changing config to be saved to config.ini rather than config.bin. (Makes it user-friendly)
The other involves certain aspects of the time offset, which simplifies it greatly.
I'm keeping tabs on activity in the official branch, but some of the changes still being discussed and therefore may be subject to further edits. As a Fastboot3DS user and producer of potentially unstable builds (:P), I'd prefer to wait and see how official testing goes first... Though, I do see that PabloMK7 has recently merged in the official changes to the .3gx plugin loader fork, so I may need to stay up-to-date with that if there are any changes that would otherwise break .3gx plugin compatibility (still no CTGP-7 support on this fork regardless).

The major request I have is to have a way to fully disable some or all settings of the night/light mode, ESPECIALLY the brightness preset.
(When I use my 3DS at inconsistent times in the day in various brightness levels it is complicated to set the brightness presets every reboot based on where I am. I can see where other people would want this as a option though)
Technically adding in just a simple option to disable all night/light features at once should work. It could be stored in the extra config menu, or a “Enable Light Mode” could be added in night/light config.
Is this not already covered by the option "Light Mode set brightness: [true]/[false]"? Each "mode" is effectively just a combination of: LED state, brightness level and a screen filter. All of those settings, plus the time at which they are applied, should already be editable in the settings. Are you using adaptive brightness on the N3DS? Otherwise, even without Night/Light enabled, wouldn't you still have to change the brightness level manually each time you reboot because Nintendo stores the previous level manually set?

Also, I would like to know if this screenshot layout mod could be added:
https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/pull/1488
I've seen this one before, but it seemed a bit niche. It's not been merged into the official branch after so long, so I speculate that the official Luma team might have some other ideas for reworking screenshots in future? And hopefully that would also address the case where you are booting from ctrnand.

perhaps the timelock you mentione is worth adding? It seems practical to me :P
https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/pull/1727
It's definitely got some cool tech in it like dynamic menus and a timer thread that I should look into more, but tbh, the actually "timelock" concept doesn't appeal to me very much as a feature in itself... I'll take it if it gets into the official branch, but I can also see it being left in "official Luma limbo" for a long time like the pull request above.

Additionally, though it’s a long shot, do you have any ideas how the PIN system could be revamped to be actually good?
I had a few ideas but they’re quite complicated and would not be user-friendly to set up. Just curious on your thoughts.
Probably not, tbh. I don't really want to give people the option to lock themselves out or "pseudo-brick" a console because it would be a nightmare to have to offer support... Maybe your ideas are safe and effective though? I'd hear you out at least.

Finally I am wondering if you looked into a notification LED controller. It still is one of the features I and several others personally have wanted for a long time, and it’d be great to add.
Yeah, I looked into it a bit and my enthusiasm quickly shrivelled up and died, heh :mellow:. I don't really see how I could expand upon the functionality of CtrRGBPATTY without great effort... Designing an user interface to let people create their own custom RGB LED patterns would be painful given the wide range of options... Having a bunch of pre-set patterns to choose from would require that I first design them and then bloat Luma code with them... Using the .ips output of CtrRGBPATTY would mean that I have to implement a parser just to enable arbitrary activation of that one specific saved pattern... So I'm just going to give up on notification LED controller suggestion, sorry...

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done a bunch of "science" and discovered that my on-board speakers do work when I'm using open_agb_firm (and the camera snap sound probably uses a different hardware solution entirely) so the most likely point of contamination is the headphone jack itself. (It all works correctly if I'm actually using the jack, so it's probably water damage fooling the unit into thinking there's always headphones inserted)

A while back someone had asked about forcing the system to use speakers even if the headphone jack is in use. Is this an option that can be added to the luma/rosalina menus, or would it be easier overall to compile that in as a custom build?

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Nutez Do you think it would be possible to include some filters like those of AGB_edit? They'd be useful to simulate GBC colors.

colour_correction-799x1024.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1