Unmodded, factory stock launch day Wii - System Files Corrupted

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by GilmourD, Mar 5, 2017.

1. GilmourD
    OP

GilmourD Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    Rutherford, NJ
    So I've got this poor little Wii that doesn't want to work.

I haven't used it in a while but my son wanted to play Mario Kart the other day, so I went to set it up for him. Wii boots up, hit A on the health and safety screen, and boom.

[​IMG]
    (that's not my TV, just an image I grabbed of the 'Net)

I bought this Wii on launch day. I haven't modded it in any way shape or form. All I've done is perform the prescribed system updates. It's up to the latest, greatest, and ultimately last official 4.3U.

Now, I spent last night researching stuff but got nowhere. I'm a computer tech by trade so I figured I could get something working. I tried the Gamecube controller trick (I have my controller apart on my desk still) but apparently I don't haven't purchased any games recently enough to have 4.3U on them to reload the system files.

I've tried searching for how to reformat the system or replace system files after booting off an SD card but I don't seem to find anything.

What do?

Remember, this is unmodded, so I can't do anything with Priiloader or HBC. I can't get anywhere with it beyond that screen and displaying the firmware version using the Gamecube controller.

2. mechagouki

mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Nov 20, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, ON
    That looks like a $30 fix:

1. Toss Wii in garbage.
    2. Visit local hock shop/used VG store/Value Village and purchase Wii for $25 ($5 is for gas).
    3. Fixed!

fenixcumber and Classicgamer like this.
  3. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Scrap your old Wii for parts, Ebay or like mecha said, local gamestores.
    Wii's are dirt cheap.
    It's not worth the time nor effort to try and fix this.

mechagouki likes this.
  4. GilmourD
    OP

GilmourD Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    Rutherford, NJ
    $25? Cheapest I've found here in New Jersey is $35 on Craigslist and it's further away than $5 in gas would get me. And you're in Canada, so that's only like US$4. Where'd you find a deal like that?

5. mechagouki

Nov 20, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, ON
    Also, if your son likes Mario Kart, you should mod the new Wii ASAP, then you can enjoy Super Mario Kart (SNES), Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA), Double Dash (Gamecube) and both the Triforce Mario Kart Arcade games, all on the one system.

I was pricing in USD. There's a used VG store 1/2 a block from me that sells white Wii units for $40 CAD all day, black/red/blue units go for $50 Value village is cheaper still. I paid 80 shipped for a red Wii with 2x Motion plus controllers, nunchucks and a classic controller pro. $40 CAD = $29 USD at todays exchange rate :P

Last edited by mechagouki, Mar 5, 2017
  6. GilmourD
    OP

GilmourD Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    Rutherford, NJ
    I live in the land of GameStop... :(

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This is what it looks like around me:

upload_2017-3-5_12-15-40.png

I called Digital Press and they're selling them used for $59.99.

If I found one for $25 I'd jump on it today, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

7. mechagouki

Nov 20, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, ON
    No flea markets nearby? Try searching thrift stores rather than video game stores. Also those places are probably pricing for a console with hookups and a wiimote - ask for a price on unit only.
    You'd definitely get one for around $30 shipped on eBay if you're patient. I have a spare one I'd happily let you have for $30 USD, but the shipping to NJ would kill you.

Last edited by mechagouki, Mar 5, 2017
  8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    people reccomending getting a new wii (used one, which is not that expensive)
    hey, time to get a wii u? as far as i know, it has a wii inside...

9. GilmourD
    OP

GilmourD Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    Rutherford, NJ
    Yeah, that's more money.

If I can find one for $30 I'm OK. I just called a used shop that had SYSTEM ONLY, no cables or anything, $92. LOL No. I can get a full system at GameStop for $79.99.

migles likes this.
  10. jellybeangreen2

jellybeangreen2 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2015

Turn the wii on, on the health screen press + and - together, then press A and wait until it is in maintenance mode. Once it's in maintenance mode. Go to settings, system data and delete anything saved to the wii that has ? Over it. Mainly channels. Then restart the wii, let me know how you get on.

Last edited by jellybeangreen2, Mar 5, 2017
  11. GilmourD
    OP

GilmourD Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    Rutherford, NJ
    Tried that repeatedly last night. Didn't work. That's what got me to the GameCube controller trick.

12. jellybeangreen2

Dec 9, 2015
    Did it say "now in maintenance mode"?

13. GilmourD
    OP

GilmourD Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    Rutherford, NJ
    Nope, just came up with the corrupted system files screen again.

14. jellybeangreen2

Dec 9, 2015
    Ok, so you're not entering maintenance mode. Watch a YouTube video "how to enter maintenance mode wii". This should get you further. Once you have done that. Let me know when you're back on system menu

15. GilmourD
    OP

GilmourD Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    Rutherford, NJ
    Been there done that, multiple videos. It's no go. If I get a chance I'll even make a video of what I'm doing, but my daughter is sleeping on my shoulder right now.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

For the record, I appreciate the help. This thing is frustrating me. If it were a PC or Android device I'd be done. LOL

16. MarcusCarter

MarcusCarter Goodra the Great

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    For some Wii remotes it appears that you need to hold 1 and 2 down and press A, not + and -. Just FYI.

17. GilmourD
    OP

GilmourD Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    Rutherford, NJ
    I did try that as well. I think this one may be borked more deeply than most.

18. jellybeangreen2

Dec 9, 2015
  19. GilmourD
    OP

GilmourD Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    Rutherford, NJ
  20. jellybeangreen2

Dec 9, 2015
    That sucks,

If there is no SD card installed. You could try putting a disc in see what happens. But unfortunately since it isn't modded it does look like it is a goner