Hacking Uncle semi-bricked his wii, need help please

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry i know there's alot of these topics around, just not sure if any of them have the same problem. I soft-modded my uncles Wii the other day using this guide:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168890

and today he calls me up and tells me he may have semi-bricked. so i asked what happened and he told me he installed IOS60.wad. I have no idea why he would do this at all, i told him before not to do anything without my permission, but he did anyways. I havent had a chance to look at the wii itself yet but apparantly he can only get into the HBC and if he tries to access the system menu, im guessing from preloader,it says "system files corrupted." I just want to be 100% sure before i go on, but do i just remove the IOS60.wad he installed with wad manager or would that make things worse? I know that IOS is really dangerous to play around with (its how i bricked my first wii afterall). i still dont understand why he would do it btw, its a little mind boggling.

Izzy

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you just know what you wrote?

"I just want to be 100% sure before i go on, but do i just remove the IOS60.wad he installed with wad manager or would that make things worse?"

I don't know what Version you uncle's Wii have, but even thinking about removing IOS60 is ridicously dumb.

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well this is why i asked, i dont know what to do to fixed it. incase i didnt explain myself properly before, everything was working fine for him, with the exception of copied games he had to load them through USBloader, but other than that the wii and homebrew ere fine, then all of a sudden he tells me he bricked his wii after installing an IOS60.wad file. What can ido to fix it then? Reinstall the system menu wad?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sounds to me like he patched ios60 after you installed preloader.This will result in the system menu corrupt message.Reinstalling preloader should fix it.

Anyone else think this is what it is?

rAiN mAn 2o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
run DOP-IOS mod V7 (get it lots of places.. check wiinewz.com) from homebrew channel... Redownload older version of IOS60 (not STUBBED!) and run the ES_Identify patch.

and that should fix it.

personally mine is stubbed because I am on 4.2 (which uses IOS70 for system menu)

P.S. trust me I feel your pain and aggravation ; I currently maintain about 6 wii's for some friends.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
sounds to me like he patched ios60 after you installed preloader.This will result in the system menu corrupt message.Reinstalling preloader should fix it.

Anyone else think this is what it is?

I think that's what it is too.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dmon84 said:
Reinstall a non stub ios60 with wad manager.

Don't post 'help' unless you know what you are talking about. Only 4.2 Wii's have stubbed IOS60s, which is not the case here.

Reinstalling preloader should fix the problem, if the ios60.wad he installed wasn't patched you may have to use DOP-IOS to get SD loading of Wiiware/VC working again.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah some people just think stubs are awesome. Reinstalling Preloader fixes the issue on 4.0 systems. Might work on 4.1 if IOS60 is still the systemmenu IOS but I know 4.2 uses like 70 something so it wouldn't have any issues then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy