Unbrick Mod via USB?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DaisukeHideki, Oct 10, 2015.

1. DaisukeHideki
    OP

DaisukeHideki Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Hey guys,

I've bricked my 3DS just recently and read about how to do an unbrick with a SD Card adapter.

I wanted to do a "nice looking" mod instead of having a SD Card adapter hanging out of the 3DS so I've looked for some regular PWM cables like this:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

The male jack would be connected to the 3DS itself and glued to a hole in the case, the female would be connected to a SD Card adapter.

But PWM jacks look uglier than USB jacks to be honest :D

Would this work with a regular USB connection?
    For example having cables connected to the 3DS and a female Micro USB jack glued to a hole in the case and then using a regular micro USB cable connected to my PC USB Port.

I know that the mod uses DAT 0, CMD, CLK, GND but a USB connection uses Vcc (+5V), Data -, Data + and GND.

Has anyone tried this before?

2. laramie

laramie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    Yeah Hundshamer did, she doesn't use the micro usb anymore though. I'm not sure why, but that's all she told me.

3. DaisukeHideki
    OP

DaisukeHideki Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Thanks for the quick response. I will try to reach out to her :D

4. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    People don't use miniusb anymore because some people put 5v into their nand chip.

5. legofan623

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    He means an integrated sd card reader in the ds

6. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    That is possible, but a switch would be so it will not BSOD when you want it in normal mode.

7. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    What you're trying to do is pretty easy, you just need a small enough dpst switch (dual pole single throw) to turn the CLK and CMD off so you can use the console like normal this will allow a straight USB connection to the console, just flip a switch power the console on and then read/write to the NAND then flip the switch the other way and you're done :)