Hacking unable to read burnt media

spirited

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, i've had this wii for almost over a month and got a wiikey (non_clone) put into it the same day that i got it. It's been able to read burnt media with the occasional random "unable to read disk" error but just right now it wont read any burnt media. At first i thought it was the media so i tried the other burnt games on different types of dvd-r (i've tried tdk, verbatim and the cheap teon all of which just stopped working) The wiiplay disk reads just fine so its not the drive, which means it has to be either the ability to read burnt disk or my disks :/ I was wondering what could be wrong wiht it since its been working for over a month and just stopped being able to read all of a sudden. Should i bring it back to the guy who solder it for me? I would like that to be the last resort becuase he lives kind of fair. Thank you for all your help.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I would give the pot a tweak, and run a dvd lens cleaning disc thorugh it.

It kind of sounds if the laser was border line reading writable media right from the start.

spirited

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well it reads the original wiisport just fine so its making me lean towards the wiikey. I had a guy check the solder points and the wires on the wiikey and he says everything is still good but he's gonna try some other stuff :/ anyone else having this problem? should i try like wiinja or something?

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Apart from trying different media and tweaking the pot, what possibly else could there be to try ?

Nintendo with their GC's always had thier lasers set on a knife for originals, nearly every one needed the pot tweaking for backups. I can't see the Wii being any different.

spirited

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i'll try that then, i figured it would not need pot tweaking becuase it could still read the original disks. Thanks for your help, now i just gotta find out how to perform this process

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
It's pretty easy to tweak the pot, but first try changing the dvd speed settings with the wiikey config disc.

If you have no luck give the pot a tiny tweak, here's a vid that shows how to access the adjust screw easily.... http://vimeo.com/141142

remember, just make a tiny adjustment, 1/20th to max 1/16th of a turn (imagine about 2 or 3 minutes on a clock)

hope it works for you

gamez2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont think it would be the wiikey but the lens.

thou the wiikey with the use of backups may have caused the laser buring out I doubt the wiikey has not been installed incorrectly.

The modder should be able to give you a explaination as to what is wrong with it thou
smile.gif

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
The fastest way to find out is to tweak the pot, just the tiniest adjustment makes the world of difference.

You can always set it back afterwards if it don't help, it's not going to blow up or anything..lol

Sticking my neck out here, but i bet it does cure your problems, as my experience with nintendo drives is that they are always set weak from the factory, just enough to cope with originals.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@spirited might be that you burnt the media too fast. I had a problem with a certain game last week with DREs. I burnt it at 12x. Just last night I re-burnt it at 4x and the game loads well with out any DRE. Then again you might have a crappy burner or a messed up Wii laser. Pick your poison.

I dont think it would be the wiikey but the lens.

thou the wiikey with the use of backups may have caused the laser buring out I doubt the wiikey has not been installed incorrectly.

The modder should be able to give you a explaination as to what is wrong with it thou
smile.gif

BAN HAMMER! WE don't need you retarded website whoring here.

spirited

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all my media were burnt at 2x so i dont think its the burning speed. ugh i hate all those poisons
tongue.gif

I still need to try the pot tweaking though, one thing im confused about is in the video the guy just turns the knob until the lens is in the middle, i dont understand what you mean by making small adjustments of only 1/16 of a turn

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Try a TDK or a Verbatim DVD-R,
Put in the Wiikey config disc (if you upgraded to Firmware 3.0x, go to Maxconsoles forum and find a fixed FW 3.0x Wiikey disc)
and change dvd speed reading to 3x instead of 6x.

If that doesn't work. Well I would say your Wiikey is broken and need a replacement.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing your originals still work? if they do I suggest checking solder points if the wii just suddenly stopped reading backups. other than that I have no idea what else could go wrong with your Wii. I'm sure some other lurkers/pro modders in this forum could help you out.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
all my media were burnt at 2x so i dont think its the burning speed. ugh i hate all those poisons
tongue.gif

I still need to try the pot tweaking though, one thing im confused about is in the video the guy just turns the knob until the lens is in the middle, i dont understand what you mean by making small adjustments of only 1/16 of a turn

Thats not the lens, that is the adjustment screw, turn it anticlockwise with a very small screw driver a very tiny amount, imagine 3 minutes on a clock face....3/60=1/20

The lens is the other way up from the adjustment screw.

spirited

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tried everything, nothing worked so he just replaced my drive with one that he had and it worked one time while i was there, havent had a chance to test it at home but hopefully it still works tomorrow. Weird how it was the drive that had issues reading burnt media in a lil over 2 months

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv