Uhhh, I fucked up cmd

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by DarkFlare69, Jan 4, 2015.

1. DarkFlare69
    OP

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Whenever I open a command window and type a totally logical command, like
    Code:
    make
    or
    Code:
    ipconfig /all
    it says it's the command is not recognized. Im on windows 7 32 bit.

2. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Bump. Someone please help me :/

3. cdoty

cdoty GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Sounds like you may have screwed up your PATH variable.

It should contain these:
    C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem

And maybe(?) this
    C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

ipconfig is located in C:\Windows\system32

make is not part of windows, you need cygwin, MinGW, or something like that installed.

4. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    It may be a long shot and have not have that happened to me, yet. I am thinking you might be missing some path in the environment variables.
    1. Right click on "Computer" then Click on properties.
    2. On the left side, click on "Advance system settings"
    3. Click on Environment Variables.
    4. Under system variables there are some paths for the system. The ones that stands out to me are as follows:
    Variable Name………………Variable Value
    ComSpec………………………%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe
    PSModulePath………………%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
    PATHEXT………………………….COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
    Most likely not needed, but can't hurt to check and see if it is there.

They're a lot more in the environment variable, however I think these are the ones that could be the problems, perhaps it got modified or deleted? I dunno, as I didn't experience this problem problem with cmd before.
    The ellipses is not to be included in any of the variables :lol:.

5. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    My hard drive does not contain a C:\System32 folder. It contains a C:\Windows\System32 folder. Is that what u were supposed to say?

6. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Yeah it should be in your system32 folder which is located inside the windows folder, as for make, I wasn't even aware make was part of windows i've only ever used it with linux as part of the build-essentials package

<snip>

heres a copy of my ipconfig

and heres a pic of where its found

[​IMG]

7. RandomUser

May 9, 2010
    United States
    No, as you see in my post is still correct, however is basically the same as C:\Windows\System32. Open Windows explorer, not Internet explorer, and in the address bar type in "%systemroot%\system32" without a quote and it will take you directly to the system32 folder in Windows directory. The "%" is like a shortcut and generally used for current running OS, so if somehow you have more then one OS on one hard drive, the "%" will direct you to the active Windows\system32 folder.

8. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Okay, done. Yeah it directed me to my Windows/System32 folder. And all my stuff is just like you said it should be in your post :/

9. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Mine looks like that, too. Except my file sizes are slightly different. So yeah, I have those 3 files but it still doesnt work. And I want all my commands back not just certain ones

10. RandomUser

May 9, 2010
    United States
    It may not work, if he is using a different version of the operating system
    Okay, that is good to know, like I said its a long shot and couldn't hurt to try. I really do not know what is going on in short of actually missing an ipconfig.exe file. If you are, then you can extract another one from your Windows installer disk if you have one. But you will need a WIM driver/software to open the WIM file.
    Another shot in the dark is perhaps your registry entry is messed up? Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment and the type would be REG_EXPAND_EZ with the name "Path" should be "%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\". It may have additional entries, like mine has "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common" as the editional entry but I wouldn't worry too much about those. If yours matches then I would be stumped as I have not experience what you're experiancing now.

11. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Yeah it matches .-.

Fuck it, I'm getting a new computer soon anyway.

12. WigWrm

WigWrm GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2007
    United States
    In command prompt type

set path=c:\windows\system32

You'll have to do it every time you open the cmd prompt : ( I had this happen to me on a work computer. Was a pain in the butt.

All you should need to do is add C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 or %SystemRoot%\system32 to your path system variable. I gots all kinds of directories in mine. Get into the environment variables panel, scroll to PATH and add the system32 directory. Every entry has a ";" to separate it from the others.

[​IMG]

PATH variable example contents...
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\Broadcom\Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SimplePass\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2014a\runtime\win64;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2014a\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Ser

13. RandomUser

May 9, 2010
    United States
    That will for sure fix your problem:lol:. After you get a new computer, if you have that Windows installer disk for your existing computer, you could try re-installing windows. Kinda like doing an in place upgrade, but in reality you're not. Perhaps that could fix the problem?

14. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    I'm just gonna buy windows 7 again

15. RandomUser

May 9, 2010
    United States
    If I understood you correctly, you're going to buy another Windows 7 CD? Why not use your existing one?
    In case I wasn't clear, as I re-read my own post, it wasn't clear to me, What I meant to say use the Windows installer disk on your existing PC, to repair Windows with it. Hope that clears it up LOL.

16. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Oh that makes sense now. I don't know where the disc is though lol.

17. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    DO WHAT YOU WANT 'CUZ A PIRATE IS FREE, YOU ARE A PIRATE!
    You can find Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from Microsoft's website.

flarn2006 likes this.
  18. RandomUser

May 9, 2010
    United States
    You can always download the iso. If you have a license to use it, then it really not pirating, as sometimes Microsoft does have downloads to the iso files. Can't remember which OS they have downloads for though.

flarn2006 likes this.
  19. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Okay, I might do that.

And just a question about piracy... if the cops never get on peoples asses about piracy, why do they even try to enforce it? Everyone I know has downloaded at least 1 illegal rom off of the Internet...

20. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    This whole convo is making me facepalm so hard. :glare:

Considering you ar-

You know what.
    Nevermind.

Just listen to the other guys; they will help.
    Don't do anything irrational like buying a new PC over a failed attempt at configuring a 3DSDev environment;
    You can always just reload as a last resort: as they are suggesting.

Jiehfeng likes this.