Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Revenge of the crackers

OmPYq.jpg

Saturday evening publisher Ubisoft's website Ubi.com was hacked by cracking group Skidrow, and replaced by a signature and message a crack would soon be released (presumably for Assassin's Creed II, the most high profile release amidst the DRM debacle). Cracks, for those unfamiliar, allow legitimate users to bypass inconvenient protection schemes on their PC games, like disk checks and online authentication.

Whether or not this is a secondary effort against Ubisoft's new methods (read: constant Internet connection for play), we can only speculate, but it does give the theory more backing.

In any case, this is the latest in a series of messages sent to Ubisoft from gamers who want to play titles on reasonable terms. While the company is decreasing the value of their titles for many with this scheme, other publishers are finding great success with free DLC, optional online features and no DRM.

Regarding the recent server downtime, Ubisoft plans to compensate gamers soon and reminds you to keep checking your e-mail. Details soon.

Source

Wow, pirates really are sticking it to Ubisoft lately.
The hacking is over now, and Ubi.com is back to normal.
At the very least, Ubisoft is compensating for these attacks by giving back to the customers.

Trygle12

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thebuddybud said:
Idiots. Doing this will further wither the already dying amounts of game releases on the PC.

Not really. I really don't pirate a PC game unless I am really on the fence about it or I can't get a demo.

Things like these really put me off as a consumer though.

DRM, if any, shouldn't inconvenience the consumer.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DRM was just a terrible idea. Games have suffered lower scores because of it and it's already riddled with problems. Once it gets cracked, you'll basically just have a shitty system that does nothing. Not even repel pirates. There's much better ways to stop piracy.

Congrats to Skidrow. Always nice to give Ubisoft a slap in the ballsack.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The sooner Ubisoft realises this was a mistake the better. There was two games I was intending to buy. Assassins Creed 2, and the new Settlers game coming out this month. Both have this crappy DRM, so Ubisoft won't be getting my money now.
mad.gif

D

Deleted_171835

JelDeRebel said:
look at the arrow in the url bar. obviously fake image

*tonistylesnip*]
Get off your high horse.

That doesn't prove anything. You can change the look of Firefox, y'know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...