Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ItsMetaKnight said:
Something exactly like this is already happening in Germany.

Err... what? No, it isn't. It could not pass by me. Tell us what you're referring to and I'll tell you the difference. If you're referring to the new ID card which you also can use online, that's not designed as a single ID for everything (but rather for buerocratic purposes) as I read it from the US Internet ID System.

QUOTE(kingofgamesgx @ Jan 11 2011, 05:34 PM) anyone know a good place to move to outside the US with good internet (15MBps or above DL ) with things like this moving looks more and more like a good idea

A proxy (or VPN) somewhere else is totally sufficient.

Regarding the ID ... hehe, that's like the social security number that should never be used to identify persons, right?
biggrin.gif
We know where that went.

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose it was inevitable that someone would get the "brilliant" idea to make a real-life Ident-I-Eeze. (From the fifth book in the Hitchhiker's trilogy, Mostly Harmless: )

QUOTE said:
There were so many different ways in which you were required to provide absolute proof of your identity these days that life could easily become extremely tiresome just from that factor alone, never mind the deeper existential problems of trying to function as a coherent consciousness in an epistemologically ambiguous physical universe. Just look at cash machines, for instance. Queues of people standing around waiting to have their fingerprints read, their retinas scanned, bits of skin scraped from the nape of the neck and undergoing instant (or nearly instant—a good six or seven seconds in tedious reality) genetic analysis, then having to answer trick questions about members of their family they didn't even remember they had and about their recorded preferences for tablecloth colors. And that was just to get a bit of spare cash for the weekend. If you were trying to raise a loan for a jetcar, sign a missile treaty or pay an entire restaurant bill, things could get really trying.

Hence the Ident-I-Eeze. This encoded every single piece of information about you, your body and your life into one all-purpose machine-readable card that you could then carry around in your wallet, and therefore represented technology's greatest triumph to date over both itself and plain common sense.

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The irony of this is that the proponents of this are also likely against any sort of voter ID. Funny how that works.

Unfortunately, throughout this country's history, things have come into existence because people have said, "Nah, that'll never happen here." And then it does, over time. People start to wake up and wonder what in the world just happened, and it's because they weren't paying attention in the first place.

The lesson in all this? Eternal vigilance. The populace has to pay attention. Contact your representatives. Let them know (tactfully!) what you think.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds familiar.
QUOTE(Revelation 13:16-17) said:
16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
I'm not outright claiming that this system is of the devil, mind you, but it is a possibility.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Hey, cool! So instead if a hacker wants all my personal info including my bank info, all they have to do is crack ONE password instead of numerous ones!

Yeah, THAT will keep us safe online! I feel better already!

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"I'll get you yet, Superman! As soon as I find out your real identity!
...so, uh, you keep a blog? I'll check that out!
ninja.gif
"

I don't see it going well either, and if it ever became mandatory there'd be massive outrage, probably.

BjBerg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey, i live in The Netherlands and i am afraid that something like this will happen in Holland too if it goes through the U.S. votes and get in the law

Bunie

#1 Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol silly wabbits. This will not become mandatory. I don't even see this passing even if its optional, it wouldn't pass as a mandatory requirement. Also, IDCards for Passwords to every site? That's not going to happen. You all aren't looking at this thing right. if this did pass, it would be for government sites and sites that wish to use this card as well (I would it expect it to be a similar login experience to the sites that allow you to use your Facebook account).

So long as people can open port 80, This thing wont work.
moogle.gif
Stop insulting the country, alot of scary things have been said, but nothing has passed that i know of.
closedeyes.gif

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BjBerg said:
Hey, i live in The Netherlands and i am afraid that something like this will happen in Holland too if it goes through the U.S. votes and get in the law
Bro you probably had the same argument when it happened with Canada and the Cart Ban...

Worry about the people not you bro.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i'm not sure if it's done anymore but some bars and clubs in the US were scanning driver licenses to track and sell personal data. i was scanned once and i immediately walked away from the bar.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
i'm not sure if it's done anymore but some bars and clubs in the US were scanning driver licenses to track and sell personal data. i was scanned once and i immediately walked away from the bar.
So, they got your info and you left without a drink?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think they would make a lot more money from selling drinks than from mining data. otherwise bars would offer free drinks in exchange for filling out surveys

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
i think they would make a lot more money from selling drinks than from mining data. otherwise bars would offer free drinks in exchange for filling out surveys
You'd be surprised hoe lucrative the business is. Sell it to the right people and you could make a fortune.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
nando said:
You'd be surprised hoe lucrative the business is. Sell it to the right people and you could make a fortune.

Agreed. Data mining these days is where it's at.

JackSakamoto

Bad Ending Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok! U.S. become Shadow Moses Island !
Or a prison guarded 24 hours 24. We already have problems with HADOPI (a law unconstitutional). For your country, it must be the first amendment ... or second .. No?

EDIT : U.S. Owen was( or is ?) a moron?

TheDestroyer

GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, we sort of thought of this idea before. Though it's a little bit different and it's for public use and does not include confidential informations such as credit cards and such. A universal contact ID for phones which include stuff like addresses, contacts, emails, facebook, twitter etc. and users get to edit their info on the web and those people that has their 'ID code' would not need to edit their contacts as long as the ID owner keeps updating his/her contact details. Goodbye to 'edit contacts' so to speak. XD Though the only problem would be spams. They could spam people. =/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade