Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 751,912
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of the LgyBG cons you listed I think the only one your average user is going to care about is needing to use VC injects instead of a rom browser.

Don't sell yourself short on graphics, open_agb_firm has a neat filter but it should pale in comparison to 800px scaling yielding perfect horizontal integer scale, requiring only vertical interpolation. (Although this seems like something that could be added to open_agb_firm in theory?) The saturated colors seem to derive from simply setting a gamma curve, maybe not too hard for you either?

Anyway very excited to see this stuff for GBA and looking forward to whatever comes of it!

Reactions: RocketRobz

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Out of the LgyBG cons you listed I think the only one your average user is going to care about is needing to use VC injects instead of a rom browser.

Don't sell yourself short on graphics, open_agb_firm has a neat filter but it should pale in comparison to 800px scaling yielding perfect horizontal integer scale, requiring only vertical interpolation. (Although this seems like something that could be added to open_agb_firm in theory?) The saturated colors seem to derive from simply setting a gamma curve, maybe not too hard for you either?

Anyway very excited to see this stuff for GBA and looking forward to whatever comes of it!

Pretty sure there is a camp of similar size for both those who stand by VC injects, and those who just want to load stuff from the SD. Perhaps nowdays it's more the latter, especially because you can't do VC injects on the 3DS itself, and setting up all the assets and other stuff is quite painful indeed.

And yes, there is nothing (well, except pain and time) preventing profi200 from adding mode800 support to open_agb_firm.
And yes, there is nothing (except sweating piss and limited time and energy because of work) preventing me from doing LUT calculations. Hell, I'm already doing it for redshift, soooooooo...

And back to the VC inject thing... pretty sure our things won't compete with eachother, because both will have a similar feature set, with the only important difference being that his loads from SD and saves next to the ROM files, whereas mine still works like it would unmodified, except with better features than the original. This is why I'll promote open_agb_firm (and open_twl_firm if it happens) in the thread I'll create once I get GPU rendering working.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
New TWPatch update to get ready for LgyBg support:
  • added new kernel patches to make LgyBg functional
  • unlocked the kernel patch menu, so it's easier to access now (Y+B, X+A, START, SELECT)

LgyBg's GBA mode is pretty close to alpha release.

For DS mode, I still need to get touch, datetime, and DSi-specific stuff working.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
New TWPatch update to get ready for LgyBg support:
  • added new kernel patches to make LgyBg functional
  • unlocked the kernel patch menu, so it's easier to access now (Y+B, X+A, START, SELECT)

LgyBg's GBA mode is pretty close to alpha release.

For DS mode, I still need to get touch, datetime, and DSi-specific stuff working.
QR Code
upload_2021-1-12_1-3-43.png

RadoMiami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question about LgyBg: Will the link cable be supported in some form, possibly through wireless communication? It's ok if it isn't, since link cable functionality seems to be hard to implement on 3DS.

RubyOtaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I installed the patch and selected one of the filters. I have a DS cartridge I tried using by the filter didn't apply. Anything I need to do in order to make it work?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Question about LgyBg: Will the link cable be supported in some form, possibly through wireless communication? It's ok if it isn't, since link cable functionality seems to be hard to implement on 3DS.

To my knowledge the link cable hardware doesn't exist inside the 3DS. Personally I haven't tested it, becase I don't know enough to make GBA homebrew; I only know 3DS.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBARunner2 has some tentative work emulating link cable over wi-fi.

Note that they only have access to wi-fi because it is running in DS mode.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Short answer: No.
Long answer: The SIO/link port is stubbed in hardware just like it was on DS. The best you can hope for is wireless adapter support but only with heavy patching and cursed tricks. Link cable isn't really doable due to needing extremely low latency. GBARunner2 can sort of workaround the latency issue by throttling the game but it's still flaky.

Last edited by ghjfdtg,

Boggalog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have a saved version of this from April 2020? I updated from a version from around then today but I'm really missing that it only used widescreen for games that support it. I didn't prevously use any of the filters and I'm not seeing a big enough improvement from the GPU upscale to warrant losing the convenience of automatic aspect ratio swapping.

Boggalog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have a saved version of this from April 2020? I updated from a version from around then today but I'm really missing that it only used widescreen for games that support it. I didn't prevously use any of the filters and I'm not seeing a big enough improvement from the GPU upscale to warrant losing the convenience of automatic aspect ratio swapping.

Actually I'm very confused now because I redid the patch without widescreen and while everything is in 4:3, games like Chinatown wars and super Mario 64 are in widescreen... So my problem is fixed!

chilldude22

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi all, made an account because I'm having some trouble with using widescreen on my N3DS. The widescreen patch works great in games like Super Mario 64. But DS games that don't support widescreen, also display as 16:10. Changing the individual setting doesn't work. Even if I revert the TW++ setting back to 4:3, everything remains stretched. Any solutions to this problem?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, made an account because I'm having some trouble with using widescreen on my N3DS. The widescreen patch works great in games like Super Mario 64. But DS games that don't support widescreen, also display as 16:10. Changing the individual setting doesn't work. Even if I revert the TW++ setting back to 4:3, everything remains stretched. Any solutions to this problem?
That's normal in later TWLMenu++ versions, as per-game widescreen wasn't working for some users.
To revert back to 4:3, delete "TwlBg.cxi" at "sd:/luma/sysmodules/".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__