Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 751,029
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gadget2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hmm, I'm a little stuck with TWPatch. I installed the latest TWilightMenu++ and the latest TWPatch and followed the installation guide to the letter (as far as I can tell), but every time I start a game in Widescreen mode, it'll forever lock TWilightMenu in Widescreen mode, including the menu itself and all the games, and the option to choose the aspect ratio disappears from the per-game menu (Y), so I can only start all the games in widescreen. The only way for me to mitigate this effect is to disable FIRM patching in Luma3DS configuration menu.

Now, I started investigating what's happening, and I figured out that the .cxi file (which the guide instructs to rename to Widescreen.cxi and move into the sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/ folder, which I did) would move back into the luma/sysmodules folder and get renamed back to TwlBg.cxi every time I started TWilightMenu. There's no way around this that I'm aware of, I can follow Step 10 again and move it back into the TWilightMenu TwlBg folder and rename it again to Widescreen.cxi, which will temporarily make the TWilightMenu work correctly in 4:3 mode and lets me choose the aspect ratio again, but as soon as I start something in 16:10, it'll rename the file to TwlBg.cxi and put it back in luma/sysmodules again, making me sort of "soft-stuck" in the 16:10 mode again.

I tried completely wiping TwilightMenu and TWPatch, as well as deleting the cxi file from the luma sysmodules folder, as instructed in the troubleshooting section of the guide, then reinstalling them from scratch and following the guide again, being careful not to skip any steps, but the behavior is exactly the same again after reinstallation (even though I rename the file to Widescreen.cxi and move it over to the needed folder, this change is reverted as soon as I start a game in 16:10 through TwilightMenu, and I'm stuck in widescreen again).

I'm using stock Luma3DS v11.0 (the official build) and I don't have any custom patches installed or whatever.
Please help, I don't understand what I'm missing here and/or doing wrong :/ I tried searching this thread, but any hints I found seemed to recommend to redo the installation carefully following all the steps, which I already tried several times... Either I misunderstand something about the instructions, or something else is up that I don't know and understand. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by Gadget2006,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I'm a little stuck with TWPatch. I installed the latest TWilightMenu++ and the latest TWPatch and followed the installation guide to the letter (as far as I can tell), but every time I start a game in Widescreen mode, it'll forever lock TWilightMenu in Widescreen mode, including the menu itself and all the games, and the option to choose the aspect ratio disappears from the per-game menu (Y), so I can only start all the games in widescreen. The only way for me to mitigate this effect is to disable FIRM patching in Luma3DS configuration menu.

Now, I started investigating what's happening, and I figured out that the .cxi file (which the guide instructs to rename to Widescreen.cxi and move into the sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/ folder, which I did) would move back into the luma/sysmodules folder and get renamed back to TwlBg.cxi every time I started TWilightMenu. There's no way around this that I'm aware of, I can follow Step 10 again and move it back into the TWilightMenu TwlBg folder and rename it again to Widescreen.cxi, which will temporarily make the TWilightMenu work correctly in 4:3 mode and lets me choose the aspect ratio again, but as soon as I start something in 16:10, it'll rename the file to TwlBg.cxi and put it back in luma/sysmodules again, making me sort of "soft-stuck" in the 16:10 mode again.

I tried completely wiping TwilightMenu and TWPatch, as well as deleting the cxi file from the luma sysmodules folder, as instructed in the troubleshooting section of the guide, then reinstalling them from scratch and following the guide again, being careful not to skip any steps, but the behavior is exactly the same again after reinstallation (even though I rename the file to Widescreen.cxi and move it over to the needed folder, this change is reverted as soon as I start a game in 16:10 through TwilightMenu, and I'm stuck in widescreen again).

I'm using stock Luma3DS v11.0 (the official build) and I don't have any custom patches installed or whatever.
Please help, I don't understand what I'm missing here and/or doing wrong :/ I tried searching this thread, but any hints I found seemed to recommend to redo the installation carefully following all the steps, which I already tried several times... Either I misunderstand something about the instructions, or something else is up that I don't know and understand. Thank you very much in advance.
What's supposed to happen is that the "TwlBg.cxi" file moves back to "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/" and get renamed back to "Widescreen.cxi" once widescreen mode activates.
For whatever reason though, this isn't happening on your side.
Try deleting the TWiLight Menu++ titles in the Title list using FBI, then use Universal-Updater to repair your TWLMenu++ installation by installing it again.
If the issue persists, then try reformatting your SD card using this guide: https://dsi.cfw.guide/sd-card-setup.html

Reactions: Tarmfot

Gadget2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Thanks for the tips, RocketRobz! So far, however, I'm unsuccessful in making things work. Here's what I tried so far:
1) Tried completely reinstalling TWilightMenu++ and TWPatch, including completely wiping the _nds folder (well, moved it to my PC, that is) and reinstalling both from the Universal Updater. Redid all the steps from the guide and tried again, but the same effect. One thing I noticed is that the first time I run something in 16:10 mode, the game hangs on white screens (right before it starts), I have to get back to the Home screen and restart TwilightMenu++, after which if I try running the game again, it'll work (but it is at this point that the move is already glitched out - most likely it is during this hang that the file move fails and the .cxi file stays forever under luma/sysupdates).
2) At this point, I tried completely reformatting the SD card using the guide you specified. Moreover, I tried this on two separate SD cards, a 32GB one and a 64GB one, both tested and verified to not be corrupted, the latter of which I completely reformatted from scratch following the DSI CFW SD card setup guide. After reformatting the card and moving the files back to it, I completely wiped TwilightMenu again (including the _nds folder) and reinstalled it from scratch, then followed the TWPatch guide, including the step to properly name and place the Widescreen.cxi file.

In all of the experiments above, TwilightMenu++ exhibits exactly the same behavior (hangs on first launch in 16:10 mode, then starts without issues but in "permanent widescreen" mode until I manually move the .cxi file back to its proper location).

I'm not sure what to think tbh :/ The console works perfectly fine outside of this behavior, I haven't noticed any other weird behavior or data corruption or crashes...

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips, RocketRobz! So far, however, I'm unsuccessful in making things work. Here's what I tried so far:
1) Tried completely reinstalling TWilightMenu++ and TWPatch, including completely wiping the _nds folder (well, moved it to my PC, that is) and reinstalling both from the Universal Updater. Redid all the steps from the guide and tried again, but the same effect. One thing I noticed is that the first time I run something in 16:10 mode, the game hangs on white screens (right before it starts), I have to get back to the Home screen and restart TwilightMenu++, after which if I try running the game again, it'll work (but it is at this point that the move is already glitched out - most likely it is during this hang that the file move fails and the .cxi file stays forever under luma/sysupdates).
2) At this point, I tried completely reformatting the SD card using the guide you specified. Moreover, I tried this on two separate SD cards, a 32GB one and a 64GB one, both tested and verified to not be corrupted, the latter of which I completely reformatted from scratch following the DSI CFW SD card setup guide. After reformatting the card and moving the files back to it, I completely wiped TwilightMenu again (including the _nds folder) and reinstalled it from scratch, then followed the TWPatch guide, including the step to properly name and place the Widescreen.cxi file.

In all of the experiments above, TwilightMenu++ exhibits exactly the same behavior (hangs on first launch in 16:10 mode, then starts without issues but in "permanent widescreen" mode until I manually move the .cxi file back to its proper location).

I'm not sure what to think tbh :/ The console works perfectly fine outside of this behavior, I haven't noticed any other weird behavior or data corruption or crashes...
Huh, it seems the latest version broke properly starting games in widescreen. You'll have to downgrade to the version prior to v25.6.0 for widescreen to work.

Reactions: Tarmfot

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't know if this bug has been reported before or whether it only occurs to me, but. While using the GPU scaler the left and right edges of both the top and bottom screem seems to... blend? Exchange? I am not sure, but it is more or less noticeable depending on the colors. It's very evident in black backgrounds. Only happens in DS mode though, the bug doesn't appear to happen on GBA mode with the GPU scaling patch.

It is a shame since is the scaling method that produces the best picture considering the resolutions. Using a New 3DS XL with a top IPS and a bottom TN, if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20221225_013205888.jpg
    IMG_20221225_013205888.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20221225_013213594.jpg
    IMG_20221225_013213594.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20221225_013239719.jpg
    IMG_20221225_013239719.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125

Flame060

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know if this bug has been reported before or whether it only occurs to me, but. While using the GPU scaler the left and right edges of both the top and bottom screem seems to... blend? Exchange? I am not sure, but it is more or less noticeable depending on the colors. It's very evident in black backgrounds. Only happens in DS mode though, the bug doesn't appear to happen on GBA mode with the GPU scaling patch.

It is a shame since is the scaling method that produces the best picture considering the resolutions. Using a New 3DS XL with a top IPS and a bottom TN, if that makes any difference.
I've noticed this too as it's the scaling method I've enjoyed the most. It's something I've learned to live with, but if there's some way to fix it, I'm willing and ready.

alrin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to make a redshift filter without using widescreen mode?
Post automatically merged:

Is it possible to make a redshift filter without using widescreen mode?

alrin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it not work if widescreen mode is turned off in the TWPatch patch list?
I haven't been able to get it to work at all, no. I copied the file TwlBG.cxi (without renaming it) from /luma/sysmodules/ to /_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/ and then launched the game from TwilightMenu++ (without changing the resolution), and I am not seeing my color filter take effect.
Post automatically merged:

I haven't been able to get it to work at all, no. I copied the file TwlBG.cxi (without renaming it) from /luma/sysmodules/ to /_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/ and then launched the game from TwilightMenu++ (without changing the resolution), and I am not seeing my color filter take effect.
Nevermind, I was able to et it working this morning :)

Last edited by alrin,

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please tell me how I can use gpu scaling with the gba games? Is it possible if I have the CIAs of the games installed? If not, then what about gba roms on emulator

Sgheist

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Is it possible to make it an option in twillightmenu? Ive tried to put the .cxi in the right extras folder, and delete the one in sysmodules, but then when i try to boot super mario 64 ds in widescreen, it just crashes and somehow moves the .cxi from twillightmenu to sysmodules, and the the entirety of twillightmenu and everything being played in it is widescreen, and i dont want that for 2d games like warioware touched. Is it possible

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Is it possible to make it an option in twillightmenu? Ive tried to put the .cxi in the right extras folder, and delete the one in sysmodules, but then when i try to boot super mario 64 ds in widescreen, it just crashes and somehow moves the .cxi from twillightmenu to sysmodules, and the the entirety of twillightmenu and everything being played in it is widescreen, and i dont want that for 2d games like warioware touched. Is it possible

It is (/was) a planned option, but due to lack of code space it's a bit impossible to get right.
Also sleep mode is a biiig problem, as it erases all payloads, so waking up from sleep, you'll have a corrupted payload.

I'm currently planning an auto-patcher for an another project, but if it goes well, then I'll include it into TWPatcher, and I'm thinking of making it load payloads from somewhere else other than including them in the binary, to allow more flexibility.
The only downside of this approach is that cartridge-only games would still need the patches hardcoded, or you would have to launch them for TWiLightMenu++.
I need feedback on this one above.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle