Two G6DS Real questions

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by DarthYoshi, Sep 17, 2007.

Sep 17, 2007

Two G6DS Real questions by DarthYoshi at 10:56 PM (893 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. DarthYoshi
    OP

Member DarthYoshi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just two questions about the G6DS Real...

1. The G6DS is not illegal right? It's just the ROMs that are. Can you confirm this?

2. I was looking at the G6DS Real Review and reading about cheat files. Can I make them by just using notepad? Like write out

Code:
    ;Game Name
    ;Game ID: ????-########

[Unlock whatever]
    ######## ########
    and then change the file ending to *.dht? Would that work?

2. HellShade

Member HellShade GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    1. It's perfectly legal.

2. Use xmls

3. hanman

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
    1. the device is in a kinda legal grey area, at least in the USA. there are two conflicting laws; one stating that you're legally allowed to make a backup of your stuff (music, movies, etc), and another one that says you can't circumvent copy protection (the DMCA) which you obviously have to do to make a backup copy. so far, no legal precedents exist that explicitly state whether flash carts are legal. it gets a bit deeper than that, but that's the gist of it. honestly, if it ever goes before the courts, it will be found illegal under the DMCA on the grounds that it's primarily used for piracy, much as modchips have been.

2. search around the forums. i think h8uthemost has his cheatlist posted somewhere.

4. ejamer

Newcomer ejamer Member

Canada
    Please note that laws in Canada and the US are slightly different regarding this matter -- at least, that is how I understand it.

Also, if you are asking about the legality of such cards/devices, it would be wise to investigate any possible impact of importing flash cards (such as the G6) from other countries. I am not a lawyer, but seem to remember a story about gamers getting in trouble for importing flash cards and mod chips from Canada.

5. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    http://www.zshare.net/download/371038903d5289/

Yeah, here are the current .xml files for US and EU. I didn't include the JP since they still show up funky.

But to answer your question, you can make your own in Notepad. I think the G6 Real is the only cart that will take the cheat files as .txt.

6. DarthYoshi
    OP

Member DarthYoshi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok, thanks for your help guys. I was wondering about the legality issue because as you know, brand name stores (Target, Best Buy, etc.) don't sell them. I just wanted to make sure if I got it, the police wouldn't be calling me the next day =P

And thanks, h8uthemost, for the cheat files. Can I just put the whole thing on my G6DS Real? Or do I need to make a new file for each game I want?

I saw dealextreme.com has the G6DS Real 8Gb for $57 US and free shipping. Anyone buy from them before?

7. g6team

Member g6team GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong