Hacking [Tutorial] Setting up Reinand CFW from scratch

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird, gamesquest1 fbi's shows as an white icon on my gateway red cart and won't open at all. am I doing anything wrong?

Try replacing the FBI.3ds onto your gateway or making sure it's seated properly. No issues on my end.

@zackaerith007
Thanks to @gamesquest1, yes it's not cartless
Going through the process your mSD will be formatted, to start off with you want to backup the contents to your computer.
You'll be on whatever firmware your Sysnand is on. So 9.0 or 9.2 once you're done. There are other guides on how to update your emunand & it's not necessary, so I decided not to bloat the tut with that part.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
Try replacing the FBI.3ds onto your gateway or making sure it's seated properly. No issues on my end.

@zackaerith007
Thanks to @gamesquest1, yes it's not cartless
Going through the process your mSD will be formatted, to start off with you want to backup the contents to your computer.
You'll be on whatever firmware your Sysnand is on. So 9.0 or 9.2 once you're done. There are other guides on how to update your emunand & it's not necessary, so I decided not to bloat the tut with that part.

Thanks so much for this!!! I got everything working you're my fucking hero! ^_^

Now I have a couple of newbie questions,
1. What Emunand version am I using? like I heard n3ds can go up to 9.5, my Reinand says Rei 9.0 so how can I update it?
2. Now I can run .Cias and .3ds? Should I install them with Devmenu? I also have Big Blue menu and I'm trying to set it up
3. Finally, I could only borrow Cubic Ninja so with this I wont need CN anymore correct?

Again, I'm insensibly grateful and forever in your debt

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i still need to use the r4 to boot up, i see

No, you can use it if you want, or you can use the Unofficial FBI which has the ROPloader injected into it.

Thanks so much for this!!! I got everything working you're my fucking hero! ^_^

Now I have a couple of newbie questions,
1. What Emunand version am I using? like I heard n3ds can go up to 9.5, my Reinand says Rei 9.0 so how can I update it?
2. Now I can run .Cias and .3ds? Should I install them with Devmenu? I also have Big Blue menu and I'm trying to set it up
3. Finally, I could only borrow Cubic Ninja so with this I wont need CN anymore correct?

Again, I'm insensibly grateful and forever in your debt

1. You're on 9.0 Emunand. You'll need to download the 9.0.5-23(eur) firmware update from that iso site, then you can install it with Devmenu
2. CIAs yes, .3DS no (only flashcarts can use the .3ds) - Drop the .cia files onto your mSD & install with Devmenu
3. Correct, you no longer need CN. Unless you lose the profile exploit (Playing nds games & virtual console games*) *I'm 90% sure one of the virtual ware games wiped my profile exploit. Just had to reinstall the ROP though; you'd need Cubic ninja for this so you can load FBI or a NDS flashcart.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I ran my dstwo card and the NDS file. then I got the reinand screen with like 6 options or something..
I choose the first option with the name N3DS in it 4.x or something

There was another N3ds below that.. Not sure what or if it matters?

Also now each time when I run the DS exploit and Reinand runs. the installed cia's software I need to unpack appear to be new... Anyway to fix this?

Original firmware 9.0.0.20 E
Emunand 9.5.0.22 E

joex11

Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
I did what you said but... now my mset gives an error and I have to turn the console off, which means I lost my mset exploit...

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran my dstwo card and the NDS file. then I got the reinand screen with like 6 options or something..
I choose the first option with the name N3DS in it 4.x or something

There was another N3ds below that.. Not sure what or if it matters?

Also now each time when I run the DS exploit and Reinand runs. the installed cia's software I need to unpack appear to be new... Anyway to fix this?

Original firmware 9.0.0.20 E
Emunand 9.5.0.22 E

Option: 4.x N3DS DG ReiNand - You're booting into reinand, so you're fine. :)

You'll need to unlink your Sysnand from your Emunand. *This will create a new friend code on your Sysnand & unlink the eshop from the Sysnand*
Turn off your 3DS > Take out the mSD > Turn on 3DS without mSD > Format the system from System Settings > Go through setup process >Turn off > Insert mSD > you're unlinked.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I did what you said but... now my mset gives an error and I have to turn the console off, which means I lost my mset exploit...

:| Even if you got an error, you should have been able to press Home to go back to the Home menu or been able to move around in FBI still.
Did you choose "4.x N3DS DG ReiNand" ?
Edit: In FBI it's "Reinand N3DS 4.x MSET" - either way, specifies Reinand.

joex11

Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
Yeah, I did install the correct mset, everything went fine (installation sucessfull) and when I reboot, bam, it just tells me to turn off. Anything I can do or just get a cn copy?

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Option: 4.x N3DS DG ReiNand - You're booting into reinand, so you're fine. :)

You'll need to unlink your Sysnand from your Emunand. *This will create a new friend code on your Sysnand & unlink the eshop from the Sysnand*
Turn off your 3DS > Take out the mSD > Turn on 3DS without mSD > Format the system from System Settings > Go through setup process >Turn off > Insert mSD > you're unlinked.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

:| Even if you got an error, you should have been able to press Home to go back to the Home menu or been able to move around in FBI still.
Did you choose "4.x N3DS DG ReiNand" ?
Edit: In FBI it's "Reinand N3DS 4.x MSET" - either way, specifies Reinand.

Did as you said.. lost exploit..

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I did install the correct mset, everything went fine (installation sucessfull) and when I reboot, bam, it just tells me to turn off. Anything I can do or just get a cn copy?

Did as you said.. lost exploit..

Exactly what steps did you take? I ask to try to figure out what went wrong.
I've swapped between the two ROPs over 30x today (before posting this tut) while helping others / trouble shooting issues. :|

What if I don't have Gateway and Cubic ninja?
How do I install this?

You need cubic ninja to boot into the Homebrew menu currently. Once the OOT exploit is released, it should be possible with that as well.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mines were: GW mode, select, fbi, install mset, sucessfull, reboot, error

You're not getting an error as soon as you startup the 3ds are you? What does the error say?

Do you have these files on your internal SD?

Image.png
Image2.png

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Exactly what steps did you take? I ask to try to figure out what went wrong.
I've swapped between the two ROPs over 30x today (before posting this tut) while helping others / trouble shooting issues. :|

You need cubic ninja to boot into the Homebrew menu currently. Once the OOT exploit is released, it should be possible with that as well.

I did exactly as you said:

Turn off your 3DS > Take out the mSD > Turn on 3DS without mSD > Format the system from System Settings > Go through setup process >Turn off > Insert mSD >

Now I cant seem to install the gateway exploit anymore...this Exploit Failed: 00000005 c86044cd

-_- kinda going mad now...

joex11

Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
I get them trying to load the blue card or trying to load the nintendo ds profile. other than that no errors

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow If I could do it without messing up anyone can :P

@usernametaken I'm trying to setup a cia with Devmenu now, I tried Bigblue menu but
it's the exact same thing. Are there any better CIA installers besides Devmenu? that work
with Reinand?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol