Restoring NAND WITHOUT hardware method

A simple and easy tutorial to restoring your NAND backup.
This restoration method assumes that you have access to gateways latest "Ultra" menu.

1.) Make sure you have your NAND.BIN is placed on your 3DS's SD.
2.) Launch the GW menu (the one where it has NAND backup, etc)
3.) Hold up while pressing "Downgrade" and you should be asked to restore the NAND backup to sysNAND.

Easy as 123! If you were reading GW's "News" posts, you would've most likely already been aware of this.

The purpose of this is mainly for the newcomers of Gateway who are running the 9.x firmware. Since gateway offers the ability to downgrade the system to 4.5 - if a user wanted to restore their system back to original/stock condition, before gateway was installed - then this tutorial would be ideal. I personally have had to restore my NAND using this method, quite a few times - mainly because I wanted to use CFW and install DevMenu, but my system kept failing on the DevMenu CIA installation process (it wouldn't connect to WiFi) and so I gave up and wanted to return to stock.

SMURFSMASHER94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys a while ago i gave up on the gateway because back then it didnt support the 9.6 & 9.7 emunand , and i updated to the official 9.7
i dont know much about 3DS NAND only that its important
But i have multiple backups of my NAND from when i downgraded it the first time.
so im wondering could i downgrade my 9.7 by restoring that NAND backup from the lower firmware?

if not is there another method of downgrading from 9.7?
Please help, thank you.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes it's possible to downgrade by using a hardware mod (soldering wires into your 3DS).
If you have a 3DS XL it's not too hard.
if you have an original 3DS, it's harder as you need to remove the mother board and solder on a very small point.
N3DS I don't know, it should be has easy/hard than 3DSXL.

There are Hardware Mod threads in the 3DS Hardware section of the forum.
one for O3DS, and one for O3DSXL.
I think someone started a N3DS thread but don't remember if it's in the correct forum section.

Reactions: emuashui

redmagejosh

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
A simple and easy tutorial to restoring your NAND backup.
This restoration method assumes that you have access to gateways latest "Ultra" menu.

1.) Make sure you have your NAND.BIN is placed on your 3DS's SD.
2.) Launch the GW menu (the one where it has NAND backup, etc)
3.) Hold up while pressing "Downgrade" and you should be asked to restore the NAND backup to sysNAND.

Easy as 123! If you were reading GW's "News" posts, you would've most likely already been aware of this.

The purpose of this is mainly for the newcomers of Gateway who are running the 9.x firmware. Since gateway offers the ability to downgrade the system to 4.5 - if a user wanted to restore their system back to original/stock condition, before gateway was installed - then this tutorial would be ideal. I personally have had to restore my NAND using this method, quite a few times - mainly because I wanted to use CFW and install DevMenu, but my system kept failing on the DevMenu CIA installation process (it wouldn't connect to WiFi) and so I gave up and wanted to return to stock.

Hi, I'm just wondering... since you make it sound that way... If I have a nand backup of my NAND 4.5 but I have upgraded sysNAND to latest version, will I be able to downgrade to 4.5 by doing this?
I thought that you couldn't boot GW after 9.2 but you mention firmware 9.x which made me wonder.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is using the Gateway menu to downgrade sysNAND. You can only launch the Gateway menu on firmwares 9.2 and under. IT DOES NOT WORK ON FIRMWARES 9.3 AND HIGHER. If you happen to upgrade to the current firmware, you will need a hardware mod. The pinouts can easily be found here: www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware#NAND_pinout

If you are not confident with your soldering, there are a few experience and trusted members of this community who can provide this service for a fee.

redmagejosh

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
This is using the Gateway menu to downgrade sysNAND. You can only launch the Gateway menu on firmwares 9.2 and under. IT DOES NOT WORK ON FIRMWARES 9.3 AND HIGHER. If you happen to upgrade to the current firmware, you will need a hardware mod. The pinouts can easily be found here: www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware#NAND_pinout

If you are not confident with your soldering, there are a few experience and trusted members of this community who can provide this service for a fee.

That's what I though but the OP stating 9.x can be perceived as misleading. I think he should specify that this only works up to 9.2

absolutegambit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump up this topic, but I have a question. Currently my O3DS is on 8.1.0-4U, but I have a NAND backup of the original firmware it had when i had first got it (4.1.0-4U.). Could I theoretically be able to use the restore NAND feature to go back down from 8.1 to 4.1? Or should I leave it alone? Sorry if this is a silly question.

redmagejosh

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Sorry to bump up this topic, but I have a question. Currently my O3DS is on 8.1.0-4U, but I have a NAND backup of the original firmware it had when i had first got it (4.1.0-4U.). Could I theoretically be able to use the restore NAND feature to go back down from 8.1 to 4.1? Or should I leave it alone? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Yes, you can downgrade using this method

fmhugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My New 3DS LL It is with "semi Brick", The firmware is look like old 3DS XL, but i can still enter the gateway menu and i have nandbackup. Is possible to restaure ?

D

Deleted-236924

As long as you can run GW Launcher and have a nand backup, you should be able to do this, yes.
Out of curiosity, what did you do exactly? What was the problem?

fmhugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As long as you can run GW Launcher and have a nand backup, you should be able to do this, yes.
Out of curiosity, what did you do exactly? What was the problem?
The firmware is mixed of old and new 3DS, some options is for old 3ds
Edit
Work :D thanks. My New 3DS is back :D

Last edited by fmhugo,

PAINaciousD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i've messed up a little with my old 3DS. I want to restore my Nand.bin file but i don't know where i have to go. If o go to the go.gateway-3ds.com side there is no point where i can "downgrade". Is there another side where i have to go so that i can choose "downgrade" and hold up for a nand.bin restore? D:
I'm on Firmware 9.2

D

Deleted User

Question can i still back up my nand.bin if my sysnand is 10.5
Yes but you need a hardmod.

i've messed up a little with my old 3DS. I want to restore my Nand.bin file but i don't know where i have to go. If o go to the go.gateway-3ds.com side there is no point where i can "downgrade". Is there another side where i have to go so that i can choose "downgrade" and hold up for a nand.bin restore? D:
I'm on Firmware 9.2
No, download the latest Launcher.dat, then go back into http://go.gateway-3ds.com. It's on the farthest right.

randomdev

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can I make an emunand backup, and then restore it on sysnand ? (Because I have formatted my sysnand...)
emunand is cloned from my old sysnand (same console, when I have not formatted it). of course I will downgrade my emunand to 9.2 before clone it to sysnand using sysupdater.
There is always a risk of brick I know...
So can I do it ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.