[TUTORIAL] [Noob-Friendly] NAND Dumping 2DS/3DS/3DS XL/N3DS/N3DS XL!

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheToaster, Feb 10, 2016.

1. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    GM9 cannot fix a complete softbrick, also known as bootrom error. A modified version of this procedure could even fix an MCU brick, there's a person somewhere willing to perform an experimental procedure to flash the MCU FW back.

senkunmusashi likes this.
  2. Shadowehh

Shadowehh Also known as Shadd

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Jeff The Killer's Bathroom
    What kind of tinning flux do you use?

3. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Doesn't really matter, as long as you don't use any with acid. The wires he recommended come pre-tinned, so you don't really even need it if you're using those.

4. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Hmm, I wonder if I should go for a micro-USB based connection rather than a butt-connector based connection...

Last edited by SirNapkin1334, Dec 27, 2017
  5. Bluoed

Bluoed Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2017
    Australia
    I'm glad I didn't update

6. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    @TheToaster The O3DS's NAND and pinouts are not on the opposite side of the motherboard. A flip is not neccessary, unless you plan to use the alternate CLK point.
    Also, Plailect's Guide no longer has data on the NAND sizes. You can still find it with the wayback machine, though.

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    the (small) o3ds clk point is on the reverse, the one on the top of the board is hidden under the cart slot, personally I would prefer to remove the board than remove the whole cart slot

that said there is a very rare revision of the small o3ds which does indeed have an extra CLK point by the rest of the pinouts

this is a good point though, the REV 2 board should probably be mentioned, here is a picture to show the difference

[​IMG]

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jan 14, 2018
  8. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Lol, Ninty helping us rather than fixing our hardware exploits xD

9. GamePlayMadBros

GamePlayMadBros Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2017
    Australia
    so ummm... is the 2DSXL hardmod without other consoles out yet???

10. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Yes, but it isn't totally tested.

11. Selim

Selim Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2018
    United States
    Hello. I attempted this hard mod to my old 3DS XL today. Everything went well, the system turns on just fine without the SD adapter connected, but when I reboot it with the adapter, I get the 400 error code. Everything still works great after disconnecting the adapter.

12. Benji

Benji Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Great guide! Bust a ribbon cable doing it mind but great guide nonetheless.

13. Gords78

Gords78 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    Bulgaria
  14. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Can anybody who modded an O3DS and used the wires he recommended show me their butt connector mounting point? I can't find a good place. Only people who used the ones that he recommended.

15. Callum1235

Callum1235 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi i have read the nand on my hardmoded 2ds but i cant write the patched nand back to it. I get error 1117 I/o error

16. noobmeonce

noobmeonce Member

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2015
    United States
    There is an error in your "old 3DS" section of the guide that no one has ever caught that caused me a brick. Possibly just a half brick because my 3DS is hanging after any app launch and at one point it said (SD card has the no write lock on) even though there was no SD card in it.

Anyways, look at the comparison between the drawn lines on the SD card adapter pins (left image) and the actual soldered lines (right image) and you'll see what I mean. Whoops.... How did that slip by and guess which one I followed? >_<

My soldering skills are flawless. It's a shame I wasn't told how to properly do this because of a badly written faq.

Anyone want a booterror o3ds for parts? $30 shipped but I keep the battery. Lol
    Fuck this guide.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

And in case you're still blind, this is the offending diagram. As you can see, the ground point is different in both. I can only assume the photo is the correct one.

Attached Files:

17. Shiftcompgadget
    This message by Shiftcompgadget has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 16, 2018.
    Feb 16, 2018
  18. leonardorh

leonardorh Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2017
    United States
    I just did the hardmod for my third 2DSXL. This time it was from a friend that had just bought the new pikachu themed one, I said I'd give it a try. After 2 days of getting an error from win32diskimager (ERROR 1117: I/O error or something like that) and rewiring everything like 3 times, I figured out it was all because my sd card adapter had lost it's lock switch. Just in case anyone isn't aware of this like me :( , the switch is just a piece of plastic, it's the reader that will check for the position of the switch most of the time. On mine it's a little pin that will make contact with ground when the switch is in the unlocked position. A bit of tape around where the switch should have gone works. I was so worried thinking nintendo had changed something on these new ones that I didn't notice such a small thing lol.

19. SirNapkin1334

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    I knew to do that from a video tutorial, but yeah, @TheToaster should probably add that to the OP.

20. Traace

Traace Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2016
    Germany
    AU6375 Card Reader + Windows 7 + new 3ds (toshiba NAND). Hardmod success. Testing old 3ds xl soon

Thanks for the great guide

Last edited by Traace, Mar 2, 2018
  21. tech_land

tech_land Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2018
    Italy
    Hi guise, I have a notice for anybody is trying to hardmod a n2DS (2DS XL).
    The Transcend P8 TS-RDP8K USB/SD adaptor (that in the guide is striked from n3DS usb/sd adaptor list) work fine (i wrote 2 time 2 image in this 2DS XL).
    The only bother is that the initial recognizing of the "disk to format" is like a result (pass me) of an exploit, or rather, The pc recognize the USB adaptor but not the disk to format at the first time, so you have to connect the usb cable a few time before the pc recognize the disk and show you the famous format popup.
    This is not a goal, and is not a super notice.

Just for your knowledge if you already have a Transcend P8 TS-RDP8K.
    bye

Traace likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice