Tutorial  Updated

Importing Wii U saves with Savemii

Savemii is definitely a staple in Wii U hacks, as it makes it so much easier to backup and import saves compared to saviine. But it's not widely known how to use it and how to structure the folders to import old saves. Typically, saves backed up using saviine are slightly different from savemii and need to be renamed. This tutorial will show you how to import wii U saves no matter where you get them from. Even from CEMU!

Downloads
Savemii
Save Compilation Thread

How Savemii saves are structured

wiiu/backups/TitleID/0/80001/

TitleID is a 16-digit ID of the game. You can find TitleID's HERE (Use CTRL F to search)
Example being 000500001010EC00 for Mario Kart 8 USA

0 is the first save slot in Savemii. It can also be 1, 2, 3.... depending on how much saves you backed up with Savemii. Think of it like savestate slots in emulators.

800001 is the folder containing the save data for the first user account on the system. If you have other user accounts, theirs will be 80002 and 80003, etc

How to convert old save backups from Saviine or from the Save Compilation Thread

Here's an example of a saviine save backup:
00050000-1010EC00/800001/

Follow these steps to rename it to be compatible with Savemii

1. Delete the hyphen in the middle of the titleID so that it's just 000500001010EC00 (Your TItleID will be different depending on the game)
2. Go into the titleid folder and make a new folder named 0
3. Move the 80001 folder (and common folder if it exists) into the 0 folder
4. Go back once, and Move the TitleID folder into wiiu/backups/
Optional step: You can rename the TitleID folder to another region's TitleID if you plan on importing a EUR save on a USA game for example

Now it should look like :
wiiu/backups/000500001010EC00/0/800001/

This is now ready to be imported using Savemii, put the SD into your Wii U.
Be sure to also add Mocha CFW to your SD card in wiiu/apps/

Importing the save backup with Savemii

Note: If you don't have save data created yet for said game, launch the game once then exit and continue with the tutorial

1. Boot up CFW (Mocha, HaxchiFW, or CBHC)
2. Boot up Homebrew Launcher and choose Savemii Mod from the list
3. Once in Savemii Mod, browse the list of games until you find the one you're importing a save for
4. Select the game and choose to restore save
5. Choose the save slot or leave it at 000 (It'll say "Used" if there's a save in that slot)
6. Choose the user account you want to import the save to
7. Once it's done importing the save, Press Home to exit Savemii
8. Launch the game and test the save to see if it's what you've wanted

Note: If the game freezes at boot, delete the save and create fresh save data by launching the game once, then try importing the save again

The save may or may not work. Mario Kart 8 is especially a picky game to import saves for. Every game seems to be different. If a game doesn't work, I can't really do anything about it.

Last edited by MattKimura,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use Haxchi, you just load Mocha CFW from the homebrew channel. I have done it and it works, if you just don't want to use the browser method.
Are you saying
Haxchi > Mocha > Haxchi > Savemii
or
Haxchi > Mocha > Browser > Savemii?

Every time I try to load Haxchi after launching mocha, the console freezes. So I figured mocha and haxchi don't mix well and I just suggested to use browser > Mocha > browser > Savemii

Besides the browserhax method works, it's not that cancerous.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying
Haxchi > Mocha > Haxchi > Savemii
or
Haxchi > Mocha > Browser > Savemii?

Every time I try to load Haxchi after launching mocha, the console freezes. So I figured mocha and haxchi don't mix well and I just suggested to use browser > Mocha > browser > Savemii

Besides the browserhax method works, it's not that cancerous.

Haxchi > Mocha > Haxchi > Savemii works for me.

Reactions: MattKimura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't only use Haxchi CFW to load SaveMii?

Haxchi wont work with SaveMii, it needs Mocha. I know I have read details about it in the forums somewhere, and I am too lazy to look it up, but the jest of it is that Haxchi doesn't give some " permissions " that Mocha does or something like that.

I think I have read in the forums a way to make Haxchi load Mocha automatically and I was going to try it, but cant find that info anymore.

Reactions: raphamotta

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haxchi wont work with SaveMii, it needs Mocha. I know I have read details about it in the forums somewhere, and I am too lazy to look it up, but the jest of it is that Haxchi doesn't give some " permissions " that Mocha does or something like that.

I think I have read in the forums a way to make Haxchi load Mocha automatically and I was going to try it, but cant find that info anymore.

I'm once again getting a freeze up when doing haxchi > Mocha > Haxchi > Savemii. It freezes on launching haxchi after mocha. I even did a fresh boot to be sure.

Also Savemii is being a pain in the ass. I tried restoring a save for Mario Kart 8 on another user, and it just wasn't taking it. Even after creating fresh save data, it refuses to restore. It says "Restore failed" as soon as I try. With that said, this piece of homebrew may work, but other times it's a piece of crap! Just to even test this, I had to go through a lot of freeze ups. I also tried renaming the 80001 folder to 80003 since this is the third user account. But nope, same thing. I was testing to see if it was possible to restore saves for other user accounts so I can update the guide with info. But I guess not.

Perhaps its just an issue related to other user accounts, I never had this much of a hard time with savemii before. Maybe you can only restore/backup saves with the main user.

Last edited by MattKimura,

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest I have only "saved" with Savemii. I have yet to Load an old Save back. ( Trying BOTW without the trainer/JGeckoU ). So I may be totally screwed, but it has appeared to make saves for me. Fingers Crossed.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest I have only "saved" with Savemii. I have yet to Load an old Save back. ( Trying BOTW without the trainer/JGeckoU ). So I may be totally screwed, but it has appeared to make saves for me. Fingers Crossed.
Thats actually the same situation for me when it comes to restoring saves. I think it's picky and wants the save to be freshly created at times. If all else fails, will have to fall back to restoring saves with saviine. I restored saves just fine with saviine in the past.

FRKN4O

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I am new here. I made a batch of all my wii u and wii files. Now I want to upload the saves to another wii u with the same NNID and Mii. SaveMii wont detect the saves on another WiiU. What do I need to do? All slots are empty. I made a backup of my files on a Laptop.
Someone who can help a noob out?

schooluser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I am new here. I made a batch of all my wii u and wii files. Now I want to upload the saves to another wii u with the same NNID and Mii. SaveMii wont detect the saves on another WiiU. What do I need to do? All slots are empty. I made a backup of my files on a Laptop.
Someone who can help a noob out?

First, play the game or games to make sure they have save files on the new wii-u. Next, load SaveMii and backup those game files again, unless it actually sees you already have a backup at this point in which case you just restore the saves. Then, locate the files in your backup on your laptop, copy those into the backup on the SD card you just made, overwriting the new saves you just made.

That's how I did it, and it worked for me. I'm not sure why you're having problems, because unless you accidentally moved the wiiu\backups\ folder off of your SD card to your laptop, it should still be there. You will have to pay attention to the folders and files to make sure you're copying it into the right places, or savemii will not see it. If there are differences in the user profile name this will overcome that problem, or if the card is empty because it was accidentally erased or moved this will also overcome that problem, but Savemii needs the games to have initially been saved to the Wii-U memory before it can do anything with the save file, and I suspect that is the problem you are having.

Incidentally, you can also do this with saves transferring from Cemu to Wii-U, and back again.

Zonta85

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
ok @MattKimura , dumb question here.

I was trying to import the USA savegame for RE Revelation in a PAL console. My save is stored in slot 1 of the game, then launching savemii it tells me that the slots are all empty if "all users" is selected. if i select my WiiUId under "Select wiiU user" it tells me that "<Zonta85 (80000003)> (has save) no 'common' save found. If i select it, savemii creates a save under wiiu/backups/000500001012b400/0/80000003/savedata.bin

Then, as written in your guide, i took the save from the save compilation that is 00050000-1012CF00/80000001/savedata.bin, then i renamed/changed it to 000500001012CF00/0/80000001/savedata.bin, and then again to 000500001012b400/0/80000001/savedata.bin (cause of the different game id).

The when i go back to savemii it doesn't matter the slot that i choose, it says everytime "No backup found on selected slot", the same if i change 80000001 to 80000003 (because my extracted save was in 80000003).

I'm Using CBHC, what am i doing wrong?

Redjulius

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm once again getting a freeze up when doing haxchi > Mocha > Haxchi > Savemii. It freezes on launching haxchi after mocha. I even did a fresh boot to be sure.

Also Savemii is being a pain in the ass. I tried restoring a save for Mario Kart 8 on another user, and it just wasn't taking it. Even after creating fresh save data, it refuses to restore. It says "Restore failed" as soon as I try. With that said, this piece of homebrew may work, but other times it's a piece of crap! Just to even test this, I had to go through a lot of freeze ups. I also tried renaming the 80001 folder to 80003 since this is the third user account. But nope, same thing. I was testing to see if it was possible to restore saves for other user accounts so I can update the guide with info. But I guess not.

Perhaps its just an issue related to other user accounts, I never had this much of a hard time with savemii before. Maybe you can only restore/backup saves with the main user.
Just use Mocha, work for me!

Redjulius

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thank you very much for this Thread friend, thanks to that I was able to recover my saves that I had lost since my user mysteriously deleted hehehe. When I entered my Id Network I was happy, but I realized that my save file had no user or was my file but they came out with a question mark, so I did a lot of research, for a whole week hehehe. Then I found this thread and saw a video of the use of FTPiiU_Everywhere (Beware of it, do not erase anything from the nand of your Wii U) (Brick's risk)

stevedawg85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me out?

I downloaded a 100% save file for Mario 3D that apparently was from the EU version. My backed up game is the US version. I renamed the titleid to the US version, and renamed everything to:
wiiu/backups/00050000xxxxxx/0/800006/
(I viewed my other save file with Savemii and apparently I'm 800006.)

But the Savemii still doesn't recognize the save file.

Jerzeeloon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an FYI because I see a little bit of confusion in statements about using both haxchi and mocha and I don't know if that's pertaining to General use of the app or just from using other people's saves but I just for the first time used this software and I backed up my own save and edited it with the online Save Editor and then restored it with just haxchi and I didn't have any problem.

gcunit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for some help please.

Been trying to transfer all my games and data to a new hdd but have been having issues with some. Trying to move/copy Wii Fit U save data from old hdd is causing system errors. Worried the data is already corrupt but I'm hoping Savemii can save the day.

But I've not used it before and don't know the process. I've backed up the save data to SD, but when I then tried restoring it, the process seemed to not be doing anything (on the red screen). I left it a few minutes and assumed the system had hung so just pressed the Home button out of despair and to my surprise it worked and I got a 'restore failed' message.

How long should the restore process take, and where does it restore to? I assumed it would let me choose but it didn't.

EDIT: Nvm. Savemii did indeed save me. I figured out if I wanted the save data restored to the NAND I'd have to install the game there first and initialise a save file to overwrite. So once I'd unplugged the usb hdd and done that, the restore worked and I've still got all my data. Yay for Savemii!

Last edited by gcunit,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...