[Tutorial] Importing Wii U saves with Savemii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by MattKimura, Jun 24, 2017.

1. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Savemii is definitely a staple in Wii U hacks, as it makes it so much easier to backup and import saves compared to saviine. But it's not widely known how to use it and how to structure the folders to import old saves. Typically, saves backed up using saviine are slightly different from savemii and need to be renamed. This tutorial will show you how to import wii U saves no matter where you get them from. Even from CEMU!

Downloads
    Savemii
    Save Compilation Thread

How Savemii saves are structured

wiiu/backups/TitleID/0/80001/

TitleID is a 16-digit ID of the game. You can find TitleID's HERE (Use CTRL F to search)
    Example being 000500001010EC00 for Mario Kart 8 USA

0 is the first save slot in Savemii. It can also be 1, 2, 3.... depending on how much saves you backed up with Savemii. Think of it like savestate slots in emulators.

800001 is the folder containing the save data for the first user account on the system. If you have other user accounts, theirs will be 80002 and 80003, etc

How to convert old save backups from Saviine or from the Save Compilation Thread

Here's an example of a saviine save backup:
    00050000-1010EC00/800001/

Follow these steps to rename it to be compatible with Savemii

1. Delete the hyphen in the middle of the titleID so that it's just 000500001010EC00 (Your TItleID will be different depending on the game)
    2. Go into the titleid folder and make a new folder named 0
    3. Move the 80001 folder (and common folder if it exists) into the 0 folder
    4. Go back once, and Move the TitleID folder into wiiu/backups/
    Optional step: You can rename the TitleID folder to another region's TitleID if you plan on importing a EUR save on a USA game for example

Now it should look like :
    wiiu/backups/000500001010EC00/0/800001/

This is now ready to be imported using Savemii, put the SD into your Wii U.
    Be sure to also add Mocha CFW to your SD card in wiiu/apps/

Importing the save backup with Savemii

Note: If you don't have save data created yet for said game, launch the game once then exit and continue with the tutorial

1. Boot up CFW (Mocha, HaxchiFW, or CBHC)
    2. Boot up Homebrew Launcher and choose Savemii Mod from the list
    3. Once in Savemii Mod, browse the list of games until you find the one you're importing a save for
    4. Select the game and choose to restore save
    5. Choose the save slot or leave it at 000 (It'll say "Used" if there's a save in that slot)
    6. Choose the user account you want to import the save to
    7. Once it's done importing the save, Press Home to exit Savemii
    8. Launch the game and test the save to see if it's what you've wanted

Note: If the game freezes at boot, delete the save and create fresh save data by launching the game once, then try importing the save again

The save may or may not work. Mario Kart 8 is especially a picky game to import saves for. Every game seems to be different. If a game doesn't work, I can't really do anything about it.

Last edited by MattKimura, Aug 23, 2017
  2. 0100100001001001

0100100001001001 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2017
    United States
    You can use Haxchi, you just load Mocha CFW from the homebrew channel. I have done it and it works, if you just don't want to use the browser method.

bomigoton likes this.
  3. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Are you saying
    Haxchi > Mocha > Haxchi > Savemii
    or
    Haxchi > Mocha > Browser > Savemii?

Every time I try to load Haxchi after launching mocha, the console freezes. So I figured mocha and haxchi don't mix well and I just suggested to use browser > Mocha > browser > Savemii

Besides the browserhax method works, it's not that cancerous.

4. 0100100001001001

Mar 11, 2017
    United States
    Haxchi > Mocha > Haxchi > Savemii works for me.

MattKimura likes this.
  5. raphamotta

raphamotta GBAtemp Fan

Jul 12, 2013
    Why don't only use Haxchi CFW to load SaveMii?

6. 0100100001001001

Mar 11, 2017
    United States

Haxchi wont work with SaveMii, it needs Mocha. I know I have read details about it in the forums somewhere, and I am too lazy to look it up, but the jest of it is that Haxchi doesn't give some " permissions " that Mocha does or something like that.

I think I have read in the forums a way to make Haxchi load Mocha automatically and I was going to try it, but cant find that info anymore.

raphamotta likes this.
  7. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I'm once again getting a freeze up when doing haxchi > Mocha > Haxchi > Savemii. It freezes on launching haxchi after mocha. I even did a fresh boot to be sure.

Also Savemii is being a pain in the ass. I tried restoring a save for Mario Kart 8 on another user, and it just wasn't taking it. Even after creating fresh save data, it refuses to restore. It says "Restore failed" as soon as I try. With that said, this piece of homebrew may work, but other times it's a piece of crap! Just to even test this, I had to go through a lot of freeze ups. I also tried renaming the 80001 folder to 80003 since this is the third user account. But nope, same thing. I was testing to see if it was possible to restore saves for other user accounts so I can update the guide with info. But I guess not.

Perhaps its just an issue related to other user accounts, I never had this much of a hard time with savemii before. Maybe you can only restore/backup saves with the main user.

Last edited by MattKimura, Jun 26, 2017
  8. 0100100001001001

Mar 11, 2017
    United States
    To be honest I have only "saved" with Savemii. I have yet to Load an old Save back. ( Trying BOTW without the trainer/JGeckoU ). So I may be totally screwed, but it has appeared to make saves for me. Fingers Crossed.

9. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Thats actually the same situation for me when it comes to restoring saves. I think it's picky and wants the save to be freshly created at times. If all else fails, will have to fall back to restoring saves with saviine. I restored saves just fine with saviine in the past.

10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    good tutorial. I've only personally injected/dumped saves with saviine/system config tool, but I'll try this out next time.

MattKimura likes this.