Hacking [Tutorial] How to update Emunand on a N3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

moopas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What CFW is suggested for this, as rxtools is apparently unfit due to firmware spoofing.

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried it on a N3DSXL after 2x 2DS and definitely odd.
Emunand boots for a moment, says Preparing to start the HOME Menu... Then it goes away and sits on black screen. I removed the 000002CD folder and its booting now.
But as others said I did make the mistake of having menuxhax on sys when I created the emunand. However this time I made sure 3x that no menuhax present. deleted the bins in root, changed themes and did all the emunand stuff via sliderhax and it still looks like menuhax had some carry over because if I held L after rxtools or set menuhax to Type 2, it would boot loop and crash.
Same happened. Without menuhax installed i can sliderhax to rxtools/emunand and seems fine. I reinstall menuhax and then it hangs when trying to boot up 9.5 in rxtools again.
Deleting 000002cd brings me back to beginning where sliderhax works. definitely not looking forward to sliding into emunand each time.

Last edited by TheGlow,

eldavo2090

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I also downgraded n3ds 10.3 to 9.2
Couldn't update emunand to 9.5, then i just changed the theme in emunand BEFORE updating with sysupdate and worked.
Also i booted rxtools with browserhax.

I have a question, i have a cryptofixed cia that i got from that chaotic site, but im not able to boot it in emunand, is there another requirement other that rxtools to boot cryptofixed cias?

moopas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rxtools is working just fine for the update? The sysupdater warns not to use CFW with firmware spoofing, and specifically warns against rxtools, so that is false?

eldavo2090

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
rxtools is working just fine for the update? The sysupdater warns not to use CFW with firmware spoofing, and specifically warns against rxtools, so that is false?
It's working fine in my n3ds...
Just make sure to install sysupdater cia, boot rxtools from browserhax and change the theme in emunand if you made your nand backup with themehax installed.
If you have o3ds, just make sure you are in emunand, and update from settings

Last edited by eldavo2090,

moopas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on an N3DS 9.2, emuNAND 9.2, unlinked NANDs, themehax is installed, but I don't think on emuNAND. I have boot manager set to load rxtools so I coldboot straight into a menu to choose rxtools or homebrew launcher. The tutorial lI read on how to setup emuNAND stated several times to make sure that themehax was uninstalled before creating the emuNAND because if themehax was on the emuNAND, then it would cause problems, which is why I am assuming that the coldboot to rxtools means themehax is installed, but not on emuNAND?

Sorry for the billion questions, I just have everything working, and don't want to brick after everything so far.

eldavo2090

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm on an N3DS 9.2, emuNAND 9.2, unlinked NANDs, themehax is installed, but I don't think on emuNAND. I have boot manager set to load rxtools so I coldboot straight into a menu to choose rxtools or homebrew launcher. The tutorial lI read on how to setup emuNAND stated several times to make sure that themehax was uninstalled before creating the emuNAND because if themehax was on the emuNAND, then it would cause problems, which is why I am assuming that the coldboot to rxtools means themehax is installed, but not on emuNAND?

Sorry for the billion questions, I just have everything working, and don't want to brick after everything so far.
Just make sure you backup your emunand BEFORE updating, so don't worry.

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. I read the rest of the thread and I have that same black screen issue. I also came to the conclusion of removing the 000002cd folder nukes the menuhax and then browserhax works. But how can I set it up so I can still coldboot with menuhax/ctrbootmanager for rxtools?
I still have the nands linked. I have a 2DS with nands linked and have menuhax on just sysnand but it was weird. How can you just remove it in emunand? booting into emunand and changing the theme broke it for sysnand as well.
The only way i got it to work right was setup up menuhax on sysnand then update to 10.3 and that would break the emunand menuhax.
So 2DS's I have working as intended, its this N3dsxl that i cant figure out.

That's exaclty my problem and what i did was uninstall menuhax and it booted in successfully
Have you gotten it to work via menuhax or still using other entrypoints?

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There your problem!
So separating the Nands is important? Most tutorials for other aspects mentions its recommended to avoid gift wrap issues and other things. I did have it working successfully on 2x 2DS's with the same premise, nands still linked.

Uring

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
OK. I read the rest of the thread and I have that same black screen issue. I also came to the conclusion of removing the 000002cd folder nukes the menuhax and then browserhax works. But how can I set it up so I can still coldboot with menuhax/ctrbootmanager for rxtools?
I still have the nands linked. I have a 2DS with nands linked and have menuhax on just sysnand but it was weird. How can you just remove it in emunand? booting into emunand and changing the theme broke it for sysnand as well.
The only way i got it to work right was setup up menuhax on sysnand then update to 10.3 and that would break the emunand menuhax.
So 2DS's I have working as intended, its this N3dsxl that i cant figure out.

Have you gotten it to work via menuhax or still using other entrypoints?
My nands are linked too but you need to have both nands in the same firmware otherwise menuhax will trouble the emunand.

watz97

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I have nands unlinked and rxtools in my n3DS. I fixed the freeze at setting up menu with this:
  • If you're getting a black screen after updating to RX 9.5, or the infamous "Setting up Home Menu" to black screen. Then one solution is plugging in your SD Card to the PC > Nintendo 3DS folder > Identify your EmuNAND's profile, then back up and delete it from the SD Card (However doing so would render the EmuNAND without a way to install FBI, but fret not)

• Boot into EmuNAND, This time, it will work 100%. Let it create the default profile, home menu and thememenu. Once that's done, power down and take out the SDCard. There will be a folder called0000008f under extdata/00000000 that will be added compared to your initial backup. Now copy that folder, and place it into your backed up version of your EmuNAND's profile under extdata/00000000

• Now copy the complete profile and paste it back into your SD Card>Nintendo 3DS folder replacing any files it asks you to replace.
It worked for me and now i have rx emunand at 9.5 and sysnand at 9.2. The only problem is that your folders are lost and have to organize everithing again.
Also, i dont have problems at changing themes or setting badges.

Last edited by watz97,

waffletower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed practically the same guide via pastebin on an O3DS and a N3DS, and on N3DS all I'm getting are soft-bricks on boot that apparently aren't caused by MenuHax so I have to keep upgrading back to 10.3

Edit: I eventually fixed mine by formatting N3DS in System Settings
All dose Play Coins
All dose puzzle pieces

Last edited by waffletower,

ghurk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I followed the https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...ncluding-emunand-coldboot-cia-manager.405589/ and tried to update my emunand using this guide here afterwards. Unfortunately rxtools is in some kind of bootloop. I can only access the homebrew menu or my sysnand by holding the predefined button upon start. any help?

Same. I've tried deleting the theme menu folder in emuNAND and changing theme before updating but nothing.

I hope you extracted your emuNAND.

derthomas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Same. I've tried deleting the theme menu folder in emuNAND and changing theme before updating but nothing.

I hope you extracted your emuNAND.

I did but when I try to inject my old emunand file it says invalid nand file size :(

edit: using 1.0.1 did the trick. got my data back. still want to update my emunand to 9.5 but Im waiting for a respone before it fails again

Last edited by derthomas,

ghurk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did but when I try to inject my old emunand file it says invalid nand file size :(

edit: using 1.0.1 did the trick. got my data back. still want to update my emunand to 9.5 but Im waiting for a respone before it fails again

The 1.0.3 EmuTool is broken, use 1.0.1.

Reactions: derthomas

EmulatorLover

3ds master race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i get emunand on my n3ds for 9.5 will i be able to play triforce heros,keep my data like installed ciasneshop games etc,anf aldo will i be able to install it using 9.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Lol not me trying to get people to make an uncensor patch for imagine makeup artist