ROM Hack [Tutorial] Easy 3DS Game Modding with Luma

Nulla

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a LOT of confusion around modding 3DS games. With many people thinking you need special launchers, or something like SaltySD, and some people still thinking you need to patch entire .cia files and re-install games completely. With Luma it doesn't actually have to be hard, I want to make this tutorial because I feel like the 3DS modding community is not as alive as it should be because people think simply model-swapping is a high floor or entry. This can be helpful for not only people who want to mod games, but also mod developers as well!
Step 1.)
Create the following folder on your SD Card "D:\luma\titles\[TITLEID]\romfs
DpiEmP1.png

Step 2.) Extract the mod you want for your game into this folder. Sometimes mods will not come with full paths so your mileage will vary. CTGP-7 comes with the full proper paths and filenames under CTGP-7.zip\files\CTGP-7romfs so extract those there
iE8C2wp.png

Step 3.) Insert SD Card back into 3DS, press SELECT while powering up console, and select Enable Game Patching from the Luma Config Menu. then press START to save.
hp1ywi1.png

And we're done! No more needing to deal with SaltySD incompatibilities or dubiously legal whole ROM patching! Modding can be as easy as model-swapping.

Remember that your TitleID will vary based on your region. And the actual games directory structure will vary depending on the game. If you're coming off of SaltySD this should be easy for you.

I honestly hope this was helpful to many people. This was my first tutorial here

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Your are wrong in several things. First of all, CTGP-7 comes with its own loader for a reason, there are some features linked to the plugin, you can't just grab the rom files and use luma romfs loader.
Secondly, SaltySD is still needed for games like Smash as all the game files are compressed inside another file in the romfs. Appart for those cases, everything is fine for other games/mods. :P

Last edited by PabloMK7,
Reactions: DarkSynopsis

mike087

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Its necesary to put all romfs's files? or just the modded ones?. Let say if i only modify one file inside romfs folder, i just need to put that file inside luma\titles\titleid\romfs?

Sonico415797

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know i'm commenting on a old post, i made a folder in luma/titles that is named 0004000000032D00 (SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV 3D EDITION). I tried patching the voices to Japanese but it just doesn't work.

Sonico415797

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i just want to find a way to open capcom's cursed arc files in ssfiv 3d

S-Mania

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I know this is a very old post, but just had a quick question. Can you uninstall the mods after if you no longer want to play with them? If so, how? And will this work with multiple regions of the same game? Say digital versions of multiple reasons or a physical and digital version with the same region. I haven't trier it myself yet, as I'm still waiting for my 3DS to come back from repairs, so I'm not sure if it works. But I'd love to be able to mod the Yo-kai Watch games if I could, when my 3DS returns 😊

ClipperDefiance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a very old post, but just had a quick question. Can you uninstall the mods after if you no longer want to play with them? If so, how? And will this work with multiple regions of the same game? Say digital versions of multiple reasons or a physical and digital version with the same region. I haven't trier it myself yet, as I'm still waiting for my 3DS to come back from repairs, so I'm not sure if it works. But I'd love to be able to mod the Yo-kai Watch games if I could, when my 3DS returns 😊
Removing the mods is as simple as just deleting the folder with the game's Title ID.

You can have separate mods for the same game as long as they have a different TitleID. So, for example you could have separate mods on the North American version and the European version, but not for a digital and physical copy from the same region.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill