Android Turning my phone into a portable PS2

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because it has any cores/ghz as an x64 CPU does not mean it's as powerful, architecture is more important.

You could have four 3ghz cortex-a15 cores outperformed by a single 2ghz core from an Ivy Bridge i7.

Not to mention how horribly inferior ARM mobile graphics are to modern GPUs, GPUs are what do the anti aliasing
ARM graphics are great, just because its not the same as a gpu the side of a brick doesn't mean they should be called Horribly inferior. You obviously have a bias about ARM and are being ignorant to the facts that they have just started to really be developed and are growing at an immense speed. I understand Architecture and how it works but with good programing and the hardware working with it correctly it should not take 5 years. Honestly look at tech 5 years ago i mean you have to know it doubles every 2 years. There is no way that with the current gpu's on things like tegra 3 that they wont be able to handle it.

Bearpowers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ARM graphics are great, just because its not the same as a gpu the side of a brick doesn't mean they should be called Horribly inferior. You obviously have a bias about ARM and are being ignorant to the facts that they have just started to really be developed and are growing at an immense speed. I understand Architecture and how it works but with good programing and the hardware working with it correctly it should not take 5 years. Honestly look at tech 5 years ago i mean you have to know it doubles every 2 years. There is no way that with the current gpu's on things like tegra 3 that they wont be able to handle it.
I own an EVO 3D, Galaxy S3, and will soon be picking up a Nexus 7.

I have no bias against ARM, it's just a long way away from being able to have performance on pair with current gen Intel processors.

And the GPUs found in phones are way too weak for adding things like anti aliasing to PS2 games, PS2 games rendered at high resolutions with a good amount of anti aliasing still require a decent GPU.

Minimum being something like a GTX 460 or so I'd suggest, and it's gonna be awhile before ARM can reach the level of current high end desktop computers.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ARM graphics are great, just because its not the same as a gpu the side of a brick doesn't mean they should be called Horribly inferior.
Bikes are great, just because they're not the same thing as a car doesn't mean they're horribly slower.
Oh wait, it does.

ARM's GPUs are much weaker than standalone GPUs for computers.

they have just started to really be developed and are growing at an immense speed.
Something can grow from 1-10 in a year and that'd be great, but 10 is still less than the numbers above it at the time.

Honestly look at tech 5 years ago i mean you have to know it doubles every 2 years.
If you're referring to moore's law, that's not directly talking about power. It's talking about the number of transistors on a microchip.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's true though.

Otherwise AMD would have solid performance and not be getting crushed by Intel.

Not quite relevant to the topic, but I've yet to be disappointed with my few years old Phenom II X4 955. Haven't had Intel before as I've always been pleased with AMD hardware, but my next big upgrade is gonna be to Intel because I know AMD is getting pretty far behind now.

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bikes are great, just because they're not the same thing as a car doesn't mean they're horribly slower.
Oh wait, it does.

ARM's GPUs are much weaker than standalone GPUs for computers.

Something can grow from 1-10 in a year and that'd be great, but 10 is still less than the numbers above it at the time.

If you're referring to moore's law, that's not directly talking about power. It's talking about the number of transistors on a microchip.
Like i said its not fair to compare the too one is the size of a brick and the other is insanely small.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to go off topic, but that is a lovely avatar you have there and I just had to tell you that. Props to you.

:grog:

Would be lovely if I had noticed the image quality went to crap with the XenForo upgrade XD

Edit - it looks a little less like Minecraft now :rofl:

Reactions: Hadrian

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Stuff like this would be perfect if only these PC programs would allow for the game's audio and video to be streamed ONLY to the android device, allowing for the PC to be able to be used by another user while the player gets to stream a game. I want to play Mass Effect badly! but the only PC powerful enough to play said game belongs to my wife. -see the issue? :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I want money too I should upload Ai videos of Psi getting laid +1