Tubehax question- Still able to access the eshop and YouTube?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Pook and Pie, May 5, 2016.

1. Pook and Pie
    OP

Pook and Pie Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2015
    United States
    I set 107.211.140.065 as the primary DNS for my Wii U, but I read from some posts that I shouldn't be able to access YouTube or the eshop, but I'm still able to do both.

I'm disabling my wifi setting for right now, but could someone tell me the step I missed so that my Wii U won't randomly update? My system is currently 5.5.1.

2. Pook and Pie
    OP

Pook and Pie Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2015
    United States
    So, I'm still facing this issue. I'm currently on hotel Wi-Fi since I won't be home due to work for roughly another month (it has a simple redirect gateway that leases use for 24 hours once you enter the password). Could that be affecting Tubehax in some way?

Everything I'm googling brings up the instructions of just setting the primary DNS to the above value, so I'm confused as to why this doesn't work. There's also a great wealth of misinformation, too, lol, which is what prompted me to ask here.

3. Pikachuk

Pikachuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 19, 2016
    France
    Bordeaux
    it's normal tubehaxx block youtube and eshop

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    You can still access the eShop with nnu-patcher even with Tubehax active.

5. Pook and Pie
    OP

Pook and Pie Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2015
    United States
    Did I word my question strangely? I thought Tubehax was supposed to block access to the eshop, YouTube, etc., but even with the Tubehax DNS set as primary, for some reason my Wii U is still able to access both with no issues. I'm assuming this means I set up Tubehax wrong, but the only info I can find is to do what I've already done.

Does that clear it up any? I wasn't asking how to access the eshop, etc., I was wondering why I'm still able to do so despite having the Tubehax DNS set as the primary.

6. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2015
    not a Tubehax user but I believe you shouldn't be able to open youtube with Tubehax active
    if you have a computer, you can try setup Tubehax DNS on the computer and see if it's properly redirect the Nintendo update servers

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net

Pinging nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

if it's not 127.0.0.1, there might be something wrong and I suggest not turning on the WiFi temporarily

7. Pook and Pie
    OP

Pook and Pie Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2015
    United States
    Part of the issue is that I won't have access to my computer and Wii U simultaneously until about a month from now. I'm a man child with a desktop computer, so I took my Wii U with me on this trip, lol.

I tried using a pinging website from the Wii U web browser, but it didn't return the IP address you have shown; it instead returned that the connection timed out.

I'm assuming I did something wrong, since I shouldn't be able to have the Wii U's primary DNS set to the one for TubeHax and still access the eshop and Youtube, but I have no idea what I did incorrectly because it seems so incredibly simple. The hotel WiFi couldn't be forcing my traffic to connect to certain addresses even though I'm routing my traffic through TubeHax's DNS, could it? :wtf:;

8. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2015
    how do you ping from wii u browser?
    and what did you set as secondary dns? try put the tubehax dns in both primary and secondary dns and see how it works

9. Hiccup

Hiccup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't block YouTube anymore, because there is no point.

10. Pook and Pie
    OP

Pook and Pie Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2015
    United States
    I used kloth.net to check if it actually blocked anything as per this site which is just a post from this board: http://wiiubrew.net/tutorials-and-guides/block-wiiu-updates/

I set the Tubehax DNS as both the primary and secondary DNS, and I'm still able to access the eshop, and kloth.net doesn't show any Nintendo server blocked. So, I have no clue why it's not working (again, it seems super simple) but I can only guess it has something to do with the hotel Wi-Fi. Maybe I'll try to use tethering on my cell phone and see if that works...

11. Marlon Venancio

Marlon Venancio Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2016
    Brazil
    Is tubehax safe enough for blocking updates?

12. Pook and Pie
    OP

Pook and Pie Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2015
    United States
    Quick update: Nothing is wrong with Tubehax. I used Wi-Fi tethering with my Android phone and Tubehax DNS was able to block eshop access.

Something about the hotel Wi-Fi was disregarding my DNS settings, I imagine.

So I repeat: Nothing is wrong with Tubehax DNS. My problem seems to have stemmed from the hotel's Wi-Fi.