Hacking Trying to install cfw on ON3ds XL at 10.3.0-28U

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to install cfw on ON3ds XL at 10.3.0-28U

ON3ds XL on 10.3.0-28U (haven't done anything to it)
A really old O3ds lying around somewhere
Recently got a used physical copy of Cubic Ninja
Have the vulnerable (I think) version of Ironfall Invasion
Have a working supercard dstwo (do not think it is a plus+)
I think I have a 32gb microsd lying around somewhere

For me it is important that I will be able to play the ace attorney/phoenix wright games from the eshop.

Recently acquired a used physical copy of Cubic Ninja, was really excited because I thought this was the go to game for a 3ds entry point.

I followed the ninjhax guides 100%, I did not make any mistakes.

Tried ninjhax 2.6 on a 11.0.0.33U ON3ds XL and kept getting an error. This doesn't work anymore explained here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/11-0-0-33-the-aftermath.426100/

Friend decided to order an R4 flashcart to use with this system.

Tried ninjhax 1.1b on a 7.x.x.x O3ds and installed the exploit, but when it tried to load the homebrew channel/launcher it went to the web browser and froze the system, which had to be powered down. I think I read a thread here saying maybe it was a problem with the version of the web browser which I think was v1.7567.

I'm not sure if it is worth it to try ninjhax 2.6 on the 10.3.0-28U ON3ds at this point.

So at this point I was quite depressed because things never go as easy for me as they do for others and it wears you down, which is why I am grateful and lucky to receive help when I do.

As anyone would, I want the most noob-friendly/safe/powerful cfw I can run on the 10.3.0-28U ON3ds because I haven't been staying on top of the scene.

It seems like arm9loader + Luma3ds (http://gbatemp.net/threads/luma3ds-noob-proof-3ds-custom-firmware.411110/) is the most preferred cfw out there, this seems to be the guide for me to follow ( hopefully some people can say it worked for them):
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

So I am asking if:
1. Is this the guide I should follow or is there a better option?
2. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks to the community for all the hard work.

Ar5chK3ks

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Like Ricken already said the guide from Plailect is the best way for you to go. Just make sure that you don't rush the guide and read everything carefully. For questions and live support I would assume you always find sommeone that can help you on the IRC.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're on 10.3 with a functional browser, so you should be good to go by following the above guide. Good luck.

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got part one done using Cubic Ninja to get to the Homebrew Launcher and install menuhax.

I assume looking at the guide there is no reason to backup the sysNand before downgrading to 9.2.0 because you can't recover without using a hard mod?

What concerns me now is part 2 says there is a very small chance of a "soft brick" occurring after the downgrade to 9.2.0 which can only be fixed by:
"Once this error happens, it can only be fixed by using safe mode (A + R + L + Up on the D-Pad) to update to the latest system version." - Which is 11.0.0.33 and shuts down most homebrew besides two methods:
https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Exploits
but even then downgrading has been blocked in 11.0.0.33.

Too bad I didn't try this when the latest system menu was still safe for downgrading.

To try to prevent this error from happening, it is suggested to system format (I assume settings -> system format or does it mean tinyformat?) twice before performing the downgrade which I believe will cause me to lose my nintendo network ID and all my eshop purchases (which I would rather not lose, but can deal with it):
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/166/~/what-is-lost-after-formatting-the-system-memory?

Questions:
1. Is it safe to downgrade to 9.2.0 without performing a system format?

Last edited by LufianGuy,
D

Deleted-379826

I got part one done using Cubic Ninja to get to the Homebrew Launcher and install menuhax.

I assume looking at the guide there is no reason to backup the sysNand before downgrading to 9.2.0 because you can't recover without using a hard mod?

What concerns me now is part 2 says there is a very small chance of a "soft brick" occurring after the downgrade to 9.2.0 which can only be fixed by:
"Once this error happens, it can only be fixed by using safe mode (A + R + L + Up on the D-Pad) to update to the latest system version." - Which is 11.0.0.33 and shuts down most homebrew besides two methods:

Too bad I didn't try this when the latest system menu was still safe for downgrading.

To try to prevent this error from happening, it is suggested to system format (I assume settings -> system format or does it mean tinyformat?) twice before performing the downgrade which I believe will cause me to lose my nintendo network ID and all my eshop purchases (which I would rather not lose, but can deal with it):
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/166/~/what-is-lost-after-formatting-the-system-memory?

Questions:
Yeah I've done it 3 tomes although it's recommended

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Questions:
I would system format twice just to be safe I have done 7 units so far.

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can do it without formatting, but if you really wanna be safe you can always do it. You have to relink your NNID and afterwards you can redownload everything you purchased from the eshop. I did two without formatting and it worked out fine. The message is there as a disclaimer and a little warning, but really? I've only heard like 1-2 people who came here with stories how they bricked by just downgrading (with the correct files ect ect ect) where there are I bet more than 1000 people who have done it without any issues.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never format unless a gba or ds game has been installed....

100+ consoles so far, but at the same time i have hardmod capabilities and don't mind. With that being said, ive still never soft bricked. To where i had to use recovery.

Last edited by vb_encryption_vb,

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I want to be as safe as possible, I will do the system format twice from the settings menu since I can relink the NNID later and there is no coming back once I am on 11.0.0.33U.

I assume I will need to use ninjhax 2.6 to install menuhax again before doing the downgrade to 9.2.0 after doing the system format twice (I guess I can just hold down during boot and see what happens also)?

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happy to say I did two system formats, reinstalled menuhax using homebrew launcher with browserhax, and the 9.2.0 downgrade went fine. I am backing up my sysNand as I am typing this and will check to make sure the size is not smaller than it should be (it matches).

Now I am safe and it feels great, thanks everyone!

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So at part 3 of the guide step 27: "Update your RedNAND to the latest version using system settings"

I have tried 10 times to system update to the latest version and each time get:
"An error has occurred. Unable to update. The system will now be restarted."

DNS is set to auto-obtain and it says emu version.

I don't have my NNID linked to the RedNAND, could that be the reason why?

Somewhere else someone posted they used a different sd card and that fixed this problem for them, maybe I should try this also.

It worked after I power cycled my modem and removed some possible devices causing wireless interference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro