Hardware Trying to convert demo kiosk o3DS console into normal console

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was given a faulty o3DS console and found that it ONLY turns on when you plug in a power cable. Having a look at the play history, I realised that with 9999 hours of Pilotwings Demo, I think it's safe to say that it was a demo kiosk 3DS that wasn't needed anymore. Anyway, it boots to the home menu and is on 1.0 firmware but as much as I like the novelty of owning a demo unit, I'd like to try and put CFW on it for a family member. I can cart update and then use OoT3Dhax to boot into homebrew but the original problem still persists. It can't run from battery and always needs the power cable. Is this a hardware thing or can software make it run from battery again?

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Was given a faulty o3DS console and found that it ONLY turns on when you plug in a power cable. Having a look at the play history, I realised that with 9999 hours of Pilotwings Demo, I think it's safe to say that it was a demo kiosk 3DS that wasn't needed anymore. Anyway, it boots to the home menu and is on 1.0 firmware but as much as I like the novelty of owning a demo unit, I'd like to try and put CFW on it for a family member. I can cart update and then use OoT3Dhax to boot into homebrew but the original problem still persists. It can't run from battery and always needs the power cable. Is this a hardware thing or can software make it run from battery again?
Hardware thing, pretty sure the fuses are blown.
Either that or most likely the battery is pretty much dead.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hardware thing, pretty sure the fuses are blown.
Either that or most likely the battery is pretty much dead.
It's not relayed to that, all kiosk units are like this. Seems to be a hardware difference in the mainboard.
There was someone trying to do the same thing before, and from what I saw no one had a solution, not sure if they ever found out how to do it though.

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
yes, it's fixable, as others mentioned this is due to hardware revision to the motherboard, specifically power management IC, so all you have to do to fix it is - replace BGA chip marked U3 on the board, either with a new one or one taken from a regular motherboard

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: get a used series X?