Trouble with PKMN Emerald, VGA, and M3

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by HR_Shadow, Mar 16, 2007.

1. HR_Shadow
    OP

HR_Shadow Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2006
    United States
    Ok, I'm trying to use a .sps Gameshark snapshot file I downloaded on a Pokemon Emerald ROM. I couldn't find a converter that converts .sps to .sav(except G6 Save Converter, but I heard it has problems and I can't find where to donwload it), so I tried using VBA:

1. I opened the PKMNemerald rom in VGA(settings: 128k save, real time clock)
    2. Imported Gameshark snapshot file(the .sps save)
    3. Saved in-game to create a .sav version of the save file.
    4. Used M3 Game manager to write the same Emerald rom to my m3 with the Hardware Support 1 setting checked. Nothing else was checked.
    5. Used the M3 savetool to convert the .sav to .dat and overighted the .dat file the GM created.
    6. I then tried to run PKMN Emerald on my DS through the M3 by pressing A for fast boot; black screen.
    7. I then tried running it by pressing Start; it showed the black screen with the white words(something like "Pokemon Trademark GamFreak blahblahblah...") and then that fades away like it should, only to stay stuck at a black screen.

Any idea what the problem is?

2. HR_Shadow
    OP

HR_Shadow Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2006
    United States
    Actually, I got it to work partially:

I patched the rom with the GM with the Soft Hardware setting or w/e it's called. Now it boots with A and it loads past the animation, but when you click start on the start screen, it says "The save file is corrupted, the previous save file will be loaded." So, I can play the game with the save I downloaded, but I can't overight it.

EDIT: maybe i can open the file, save in-game, shut off ds, connect to pc, make a blank save that the gm creates and overwrite the old save with it, then when i reload the game maybe it'll overwrite the new and clean save file with the previous save in the SRAM. i have a feeling it'll just corrupt the new file as well though. [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice