ROM Hack Trouble with PKMN Emerald, VGA, and M3

HR_Shadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm trying to use a .sps Gameshark snapshot file I downloaded on a Pokemon Emerald ROM. I couldn't find a converter that converts .sps to .sav(except G6 Save Converter, but I heard it has problems and I can't find where to donwload it), so I tried using VBA:

1. I opened the PKMNemerald rom in VGA(settings: 128k save, real time clock)
2. Imported Gameshark snapshot file(the .sps save)
3. Saved in-game to create a .sav version of the save file.
4. Used M3 Game manager to write the same Emerald rom to my m3 with the Hardware Support 1 setting checked. Nothing else was checked.
5. Used the M3 savetool to convert the .sav to .dat and overighted the .dat file the GM created.
6. I then tried to run PKMN Emerald on my DS through the M3 by pressing A for fast boot; black screen.
7. I then tried running it by pressing Start; it showed the black screen with the white words(something like "Pokemon Trademark GamFreak blahblahblah...") and then that fades away like it should, only to stay stuck at a black screen.

Any idea what the problem is?

HR_Shadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I got it to work partially:

I patched the rom with the GM with the Soft Hardware setting or w/e it's called. Now it boots with A and it loads past the animation, but when you click start on the start screen, it says "The save file is corrupted, the previous save file will be loaded." So, I can play the game with the save I downloaded, but I can't overight it.

EDIT: maybe i can open the file, save in-game, shut off ds, connect to pc, make a blank save that the gm creates and overwrite the old save with it, then when i reload the game maybe it'll overwrite the new and clean save file with the previous save in the SRAM. i have a feeling it'll just corrupt the new file as well though.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Youtubebox +1