TriPlayer - A feature-rich audio player for Nintendo Switch

wd7qBy2.png

Hey everyone! I'd like to introduce a little something I've been working on since February. After 9 months I believe it's at a state where it's ready for a public release!

Let me introduce TriPlayer, my project that came to be due to the lack of a "proper" audio player for the Nintendo Switch. TriPlayer automatically scans and organizes any audio files you have in the /music folder on the root of your SD card. As pictures speak a thousand words, I'll let the following screenshot help describe it:

ci80MLQ.jpg

As you can see, it handles the metadata embedded within audio files in order to create a complete music library. The music will keep playing while you're playing a game or using another application. Playback can be controlled via the provided Tesla overlay or by pressing button combinations on the controller.

Requirements:
  • A recent version of Atmosphere (0.10.0+)
    • TriPlayer may work on other CFWs, however this is untested
    • The sysmodule requires ~3MB of free memory, so this may clash with other sysmodules
  • A recent firmware version
    • Once again this hasn't been tested, but some code relies on newer firmwares so I suggest 10.0.0+
  • Some music!
    • FLAC, MP3 and WAV are supported at this time
Installation:

1. Download the latest release as a .zip from here
2. Extract the contents to the root of your SD card
3. Place some music in /music
4. Launch the application and wait for the initial scan to complete

GitHub:

A lot more information and usage is covered on my GitHub repo. See the readme for a brief introduction and link to the wiki where everything is covered in detail.
https://github.com/tallbl0nde/TriPlayer

Final Notes:

I hope TriPlayer is useful to many of you who have been wanting a music player on the Switch. As it's quite complex, there's a good chance I've missed some major bugs. Please report these as issues on GitHub. Note that should the sysmodule crash, it will crash the entire OS. While I personally haven't had any crashes while both listening and not listening to music, I recommend stopping the sysmodule (either via the app or overlay) when you're not using it if you want to be extra safe.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited by tallbl0nde, , Reason: Update supported formats

UltimateFight

Mell-Known Member
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Uh, I've got a little problem. Now all the characters are displayed correctly, but only one artist's name is wrong, looks like it's not a matter of missing characters. That song is "Dazzing Smile", which I posted on #35
ds'.jpg
In fact, I think it's a trivial issue, :rofl2:when I download the same song from a different music app, the artist's name is displayed correctly, but as a tester, I thought I'd send this feedback to you.

tallbl0nde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Uh, I've got a little problem. Now all the characters are displayed correctly, but only one artist's name is wrong, looks like it's not a matter of missing characters. That song is "Dazzing Smile", which I posted on #35
View attachment 233408
In fact, I think it's a trivial issue, :rofl2:when I download the same song from a different music app, the artist's name is displayed correctly, but as a tester, I thought I'd send this feedback to you.
My guess is this something to do with the database side of things, I'll give it a quick look!

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I knew how to, I'd put it in a separate app. Unfortunately that's a whole another beast that isn't anywhere near as simple as music playback.
It's cool, just curious was all, thanks for your hard work to making the switch like a portable Xbox 360 with this neat idea!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

UltimateFight

Mell-Known Member
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I noticed one thing, when TriPlayer overlay is opened (even if I click elsewhere on the screen to hide it in the background), the database will be set to read-only state, in this state I cannot rename my playlist or something else.
I can't find any description about this on the Wiki, that was really awful!!!:wtf:I always thought it was a ghostly bug and spent some time trying to reproduce it.
database2.jpg database1.jpg
I think you should add something like "Try to close your TriPlayer overlay" in these tips.

Last edited by UltimateFight,

tallbl0nde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
How are you managing that, because I thought you shouldn't be able to interact with the app while the overlay is open?

EDIT: Nvm I read your message properly.

Reactions: UltimateFight

tallbl0nde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Alright I've laid the foundation for supporting other languages. If you're interested in translating the app, simply make a copy of Application/romfs/lang/en.json and rename it to your language code (e.g. es.json). Once you've translated all the lines make a pull request on GitHub and I'll handle the rest! :)

If you're not familiar with GitHub and/or don't have an account you can also send me the translated .json and I'll integrate it.

I'm having trouble finding the music folder if I have to make one can someone tell me where to put it
At the very top level of your sd card. It's in the same folder that has the Nintendo, switch and so on folders.

tallbl0nde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@tallbl0nde - I swear, I have ran through every mp3. Still stuck at the Preparing Library Screen.
Give the attached .nro a run. It will print out each file it encounters to the log as it goes. Leave it for about a minute or two, then close the app and look at the log file (/switch/TriPlayer/application.log). The last entry should be the song causing the problem (you may have multiple so it may not work first try). If you're stuck feel free to upload the log file here too.

Once you've progressed past the preparing screen use the original .nro otherwise it'll do this everytime you launch the app! This bug is irritating - and I still have my doubt as to whether it can be fixed due to it appearing to be a driver issue.

Attachments

• TriPlayer.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 194

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, so far, I looked at the Error Log. Something about trying to Connect for a Update. I know there was a .mp4 File before, but I got rid of it, then checked to make sure there were only .mp3 Files (no .wma, .wav or even .mid)
OK.........it got stuck on a file that is not showing up. Confused. But apparently, that would be the File in question, because it is marked having a _ in the name.

tallbl0nde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well, so far, I looked at the Error Log. Something about trying to Connect for a Update. I know there was a .mp4 File before, but I got rid of it, then checked to make sure there were only .mp3 Files (no .wma, .wav or even .mid)
OK.........it got stuck on a file that is not showing up. Confused. But apparently, that would be the File in question, because it is marked having a _ in the name.
Yeah I found problematic files sometimes wouldn't show up on the Switch, yet you plug the sd into a pc and it appears fine...

Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I found problematic files sometimes wouldn't show up on the Switch, yet you plug the sd into a pc and it appears fine...
That is what I had to do. LOL. That is very weird.
I think I am seeing what the Problem might be. It is showing certain Files that look fine, but it has a few extra Spaces in the File Name. When copying Cheats from Speedfly, I encounter when I save, it can not save it properly because of some Unknown Character. When I open the .txt again, I check through, and a Space has ?? in it. That is probably what is going on here with the Files being Listed. Going to let it hang there for a while to see just how many Files are like that.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should leave those Instructions on the Github Page. It is now at the Scanning New Files Screen, and Processing them :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is there a File Size Limit? Stuck at 99.8% on File 1598 of 1599

tallbl0nde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Should leave those Instructions on the Github Page. It is now at the Scanning New Files Screen, and Processing them :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is there a File Size Limit? Stuck at 99.8% on File 1598 of 1599
Yeah I think I definitely need to make a proper post about this bug! There shouldn't be a limit, I have mixes that are ~200MB large which work fine, note that large files will take a little while to scan however. Let me know if it's stuck there and I'll whip up another .nro to help debug it. If it gets stuck it's usually a sign of a corrupted .mp3 though.

Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I exit the App, and check the Log. Scan got completed. But still stuck at 99.8% on File 1598 / 1599 of Scanning new Files. Been sitting here for over an Hour.

Also, supposed to be 1675 Files, according to MP3Tag, and 1677 according to Windows under Properties.

Last edited by Smoker1,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Re FLAC support
Are that many people in a hurry to waste their storage space? Can you actually hear a difference at the best of times? Is the Switch's DAC and audio setup even vaguely near "best of times"?

As an archival format then yeah sure FLAC is as good as any other lossless format but as a day to day playback... why?
I'm one of those finicky few that can hear audio compression in compressed music, and it drives me insane. FLAC is all I can listen to, unless it's a pressed CD or something like Tidal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7