ROM Hack Translating/rom hacking.

Mraellis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,
I'll start by saying you've probably heard this a million times but I've got a couple of questions about translating and editing an xdelta patch. I've been having a look through the unfinished translations today and I have noticed a few that I would like to finish that already have released states, for example Dragon Quest IX. All I want to do however is basically see whatever has been done in text and sit and translate that text to English and put it back in for people to read when playing. To do this how would I go about it? Would I be best just helping a team translate a game or is there a simple way to open the xdelta file and see what's been done and just continue it? Like I said I basically just want to get the Japanese and make it English as simply as possible. Surely that will be easier with a half done project?

Sorry to sound noobish but I just figure I could be of help translating a few games now and then,
Mraellis.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Starting from an existing translation is probably the easiest and maybe even best starting point.

You could edit the xdelta patch itself (I have no format description to hand but source is available http://xdelta.org/ ) but frankly that is a somewhat backwards way to go about it.

You have a few choices here

You could try and join a team but this could be difficult.

You could try and get some information out of the team- most DS translations are relatively open so that should not be too hard.

You could just take what the team has already done and run with it.

Any hex editor worth anything will have a file compare function will be able to compare two files and highlight differences. DS roms are fairly big but few, if any, hackers will add extra files to a rom so you can always pull the rom apart, hash the files (CRC check is good enough) and compare against the same rom but with the translation applied.
This will show the files that have been changed allowing you to narrow in on them and as you already know what the game will say you can rapidly figure out the basic encoding format (these two things are the hard parts of hacking, most things after this are just boring or long winded)

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't just edit a patch; you'd have to apply it to the game, edit the game's script files, then create a new patch. Figuring out how to edit the game files can be complicated, so you'd be much better off just offering your translation abilities to the patch's creator or to another existing project.

And don't bother with DQIX, it's getting an official release.

Mraellis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the help guys especially you fast. It appears I may be helping out in something now already..

I might still try the hexedit route on DQ9 because it sounds like it was mostly done and Square still haven't announced a release date so I reckon it will be a while till we get it.

I'd prefer to ask the team that was working on it though and continue from that as it seems easier. Who where they?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc...