Trophies
Website
skizo.org
XP
Country
Poland
thanks
smile.gif
but which is better to choose... 64 or 128 mbit?

yaynds.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
MSI don't detect Gigabyte drivers...
I thought every Ralink card would work with Wifime or Gigabyte AP drivers.

So some cards don't works with modified drivers, and some don't works with DS :/
(compatibility list on nintendowifi shows some cards not working at all)

I intend to use it with SGstair's DSWifi, and Gigabyte AP driver to connect to WFC
Could people with working PCI card tell me wich one you are using ?

Edit :
it seems every card with the Ralink chipset is working, but some are not autodetected by the driver.
If this is the case, you will have to add your card ID into the cardlist of the driver.

Kirby102

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nuu, NWC isn't working for me... I usually get a 52100-52101 error, cause it needs to state that the connection is active or something... But I did all the steps, my wifi card is RT2500-compat which should work... Please help. I'm using a MSI PCI PC54G2... so yeah
unsure.gif
Thanks
bow.gif

RomMastah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I finaly bought a Hercules PCI Card (HWGPCI54).

I thought everything would go smoothly, but I'm having many problems.

It has a Ralink chipset, but it wasn't detected by the Gigabyte Soft AP at first
frown.gif

I had to find the PID/VID and hardware ID of the card with PCItree and edit the .inf to add my card into the compatibility list of the driver so that it can detect my card ...

edit:
At last I found what was wrong (error 61020).

I disabled the firewall (use rules), but I forgot about Peer guardian, it was blocking all local IPs greater than 192.168.0.2, and all the Gamespy nintendo's server site.
1 week of headache, but I can now enjoy it
smile.gif

Note :
If your card is not detected by the Gigabyte Soft AP driver, you can find the PID/VID and Card ID in the Wifime driver .inf, and then add/modify your gigabyte .inf under [ralink]
If not inside Wifime, install your official card driver, run PCITree and look for your adapter, there will be the value (values are right to left : abcd in pcitree must be writen cdab into .inf)

ask me for more help, I'll make some screens.

Ignatius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, i had a quick question. I've been researching a lot about setting up an access point at home using a wireless ralink chipset router/pci/usb. It seems pretty simple and straight forward to use. But i was hoping maybe someone can post up all the things you can do with this setup at home on a ds in a nice little post.

To make my question more clear, 'What are all the things you can do with your Nintendo DS using wifi at home?' What kind of games can you play online, the homebrew apps, etc?

And the cheapest ralink 2500 chipset i found, was the MSI PC54G2 which was only $30. Most of the other PCI or router's were about $45-50. I know Linksys are the best wireless routers/pci to get, but how does this MSI PC54G2 hold up? And is it also better to get a router over a PCI card if you can afford it?

Thanks in advance.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
some people reported having problems with the MSI card.
They said the Gigabyte AP software dont find the card.
Maybe the driver need some editing to add the card ID. (you can look into the Wifime driver to find the card)

For the choice between router or PCI card, the router only give you acces to the net as any access point do.
With PCI card, you need to use the gigabyte software AP.

I'm using the Soft AP and successfully run games to nintendo WFC, and homebrew like DS Remote, send/receive text to Mirc, DSChat.
There are more available (like homebrew online games).

All game that can connect to Nintendo WFC are working right now.
We are all waiting for a tunneling software to allow every other DStoDS Wifi games to play over internet via a PC software.

I hope this answered your questions.

HeinzHarald

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're going to buy a new card, why not buy one with manufacturer supported AP function? Sure if might cost you a few bucks extra, but at least you know for certain that it will work. I prefer a USB dongle, so I'm going to buy an Asus WL-167g on monday.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a much better method than turning your wifi card into a DS only connection point. I got an Airlink101 AWLH3026 54G PCI card (RT2561 chipset) for 15 dollars on ebay. The drivers from Airlink101 don't allow you to use the card as a virtual AP but the drivers from RAlink do! You can toggle between an AdHoc/client connection or AP mode as you please.

HeinzHarald

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I found a much better method than turning your wifi card into a DS only connection point. I got an Airlink101 AWLH3026 54G PCI card (RT2561 chipset) for 15 dollars on ebay. The drivers from Airlink101 don't allow you to use the card as a virtual AP but the drivers from RAlink do! You can toggle between an AdHoc/client connection or AP mode as you please.

That's exactly what was described in the first post, only the drivers came from Gigabyte.
wink.gif

Ignatius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

So do you guys recommend that Airlink 101 PCI card than 100%? Nothing wrong with it or less compatible against other PCI or routers? Because its pretty cheap for only $15-20, i'd get that right now if it works perfectly with the DSL.

@Cyan - How do i look inside the wifime driver to find the MSI PC54G2 PCI card?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah crap I thought this thread was talking about using the WiFiMe drivers on a RAlink card.
tongue.gif
The Gigabyte drivers might not work correctly with other cards that use the chipset so hopefully I added some worth to this thread with the link to the RAlink drivers.

I highly recommend this card. It works great with my Pocket PC, laptop, and DS.
biggrin.gif

Ignatius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

HeinzHarald

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it's a standalone router (not PCI or USB) you don't use drivers at all, and most chipsets should work.

For the record I got Mario Kart DS working just fine through my Asus WL-167g USB stick, and the accompanying access point software. I just had to enter the network information in my DS manually, and add an exception in Sygate Personal Firewall (the DS didn't reach the Internet with my firewall activated otherwise).

adams89

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
skizo.org
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
Then when i install this drivers 4 MSI, then i won't get any errors?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
to Ignatus :

the MSI PC54G2 PCI card doesn't seem to be specified inside the WiFime drivers.

I will make a tutorial to help you finding your driver ID.
You will have to use the software PCI Tree to find your values. (google to download Pci Tree)

Step 1 :
Install original MSI drivers

Step 2 :
Install PCI tree (read the pt_userg.htm that come with PCItree and copy the HLP.sys to the right folder)

Step 3 :
run Pci Tree, and find your Ralink PCI card.
on the right side, the card has the value "VID: x1814 Ralink Technology Corp"

PciTree_hercule.jpg

Write down all those values (on paper, or notepad):
VID: x1814 (the ID for Ralink chipset)
DID: 0201
SubVID: x1681
SubID: x0050

Step 4 :
Uninstall the original card drivers

Step 5 :
open the Gigabyte Soft AP folder and
if you are running Windows XP : go to the GN-WPKG v1.5\Driver\WINXPSTA
if you are running Windows 2000 : go to the GN-WPKG v1.5\Driver\WIN2KSTA
if you are running Windows 9x : GN-WPKG v1.5\Driver\WIN9xMe

and open the SoftAP drivers from Gigabyte (rt2500.inf) into notepad.
Almost on the beginning of the file, there is :

[Ralink]
; DisplayName Section DeviceID
; ----------- ------- --------
%Ralink.DeviceDesc% = RALINK.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0201&SUBSYS_00501681
;

just modify the SUBSYS value with your card value like this :
SUBSYS_SubIDSubVID

to obtaine this line :

[Ralink]
; DisplayName Section DeviceID
; ----------- ------- --------
%Ralink.DeviceDesc% = RALINK.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0201&SUBSYS_00501681

Step 6 :
Save the rt2500.inf, and install the Gigabyte Soft AP (that is in the Utility folder)
When it say "a new materiel is detected, choose a driver to install"
just choose the rt2500.inf you have just created.

It "might" work, as it work for me, but I can't tell if it will work for everyone.

Please everyone, let me know if it's working or not for your Ralink PCI card.

adams89

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
skizo.org
XP
Country
Poland
And modify this optins in AP Config like in first page? & check the box that says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" 2? If yes, it don't work 4 me... i've got 52000 error...
cry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Giganutz