The Wielder of the Keyblade
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, on the outset I'll state the following, today is my dad's birthday and he's a heavy drinker on special occassions like today. So put 2 and 2 together and you'll see my following point.

This all happened while I'm at work today. My father was sitting outside on our porch when a squirrel ran up to his shoulder and sat there. It didn't run away or bite him. I'm assuming that is trained. Well, seeing how my dad is drunk already by mid-morning, he says that God gave him that squirrel as a gift and wants to keep it. Of course I know that it is illegal to keep a squirrel as a pet in NYC. Now apparantly after I made a few calls home to find out what's going on, my dad tells me tried to set it free outside our house and it ran back into our house(I call bullshit on this since I know how he is). Now I have to see how I can get rid of it. The options that I can determine are calling the ASPCA or Animal Control and let them take it; I get rid of it myself, set free or kill(which I don't want to do); or have the local authorities decide what to do with it, or finall keep the damn thing.

The whole point of this post was to see what you guys would do in such a situation. Oh forgot to mention that he is stubborn on the fact that he won't get rid of it. >.>

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
he isnt the son, you are. If he is aware of the consequences (if any) then let him keep the squirrel. It loves him dearly
tongue.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Aw, nuts.

Apart from posting videos of its sheer awesomness on Youtube, you'd better just call Animal Control or whatever the equivalent of the RSPCA is over there and have them deal with it. Even if it is someone's trained pet, it's better just to let them deal with it, such as feeding it and keeping it safe and healthy.

You said it's illegal to keep a squirrel as a pet so tell your dad that. He can't just keep it because it climbed onto his shoulder >_>

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, I guess that squirrel is running around in your home right now? Well I would certainly try to grab it through some bait or something. I would then put it in a cage or box. Drive a couple of miles and set it free in the woods.

But off course pest patrol is a good alternative if you don't mind the wait. Good luck with it (and with your dad).

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont think it'd be wise to get authorities involved--it would cause more drama than a squirrel is worth.

Let him do what he wants, then when he turns his back/goes somewhere for a few hours set the squirrel free outside--if it comes back you'll know he wasn't lying but either way you will have tried.

If the squirrel insists on coming back, get a big old cat and keep it in the same house--dont et the squirrel be eaten but let it see its predator and become frightened, then place clumps of cat fur around the place so that the squirrel wont feel too safe. Then try releasing the squirrel again and leaving only one venue open to the house--like a back door and make sure the cat is placed between the doorway and the squirrels cage.

I find cat fur and other signs is usually the best deterrent for this sort of thing--in spring several birds wanna build nests on our porch. A few run-ins with our cat and some ominous hair clumps in their nest later and they usually begin to see things our way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Carotenemia causes skin to appear orange-ish in color. Orange Pi. Carotenemia Pussy. Get it. lolol +1